Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Halifax Building Society  (Read 7059 times)

das boot

Halifax Building Society
« on: April 03, 2009, 04:15:04 pm »

With all the issues surrounding banks and building societies recently, I thought a little "well done" may be in order...

Day before yesterday I received a call from my branch manager asking me to contact their fraud department...I did so, and was informed that somebody had managed to hack into my account and was trying to spend one amount of £350 and one amount of £145. The fraud department didn't recognise the sales and declined the payments.
I had my account frozen whilst they sorted out the mess, which luckily wasn't a great problem for 24 hours...today I received my replacement card from the Halifax, their thanks for my co-operation, and a full refund of all my charges that these fraudulent actions would have incurred.

Now I'm not a great lover of banks, but to me that represents outstanding customer relations...the problem solved in less than 48 hours, and a replacement card delivered by courier as well. If that's not being on the ball, then I don't know what is....

I think that a rousing chorus of "well done, the Halifax" is called for!

Rich

Mark47

Re: Halifax Building Society
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 04:17:57 pm »

At least they have one happy customer.

Mark

nhp651

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 04:25:57 pm »

and what about the Co operative bank, to which people are flockong in droves.
the have an Ethics committee which will NOT  lend to caustic clients, and invest in none ethical sub prime or any other party,and guess what,
last year they made an 80 million profit, which being a co operative bank is ploughed back in to lenders ( well, some of it anyway).
Just shows all these big greedy banks with their greedy bankers( don't I pronounce my "w's" funny ) what CAN be done. <*< <*< <*<

catengineman

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 04:26:43 pm »

Barclays  :-))

I bank with them and have done for many years, My wife has a barclay card and so do I (both have the same numbers?) now while I was away I did some on line purchasing and low and behold so did the wife (also on line)
The account payments refused!
I got a phone call about 8 minutes after from a nice lady at the bank asking did I know about the transactions, I knew about my one and so told her that I did not recognise the other, and could she assist in what it was for.
I still did not know what it was so I stopped all payment on that purchase.   the next day my wife phoned me and said not to use my card as it has been stopped? strange that the bank was quicker than the wife  :D (she no longer has access to that account  :})
So Barclays are also given the  :-))

PS also bank with Halifax, TSB and one or two others  :o

R,

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
  • Black, white and buff - not grey!
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 07:28:44 pm »

Keep the plaudits coming, lads, as my Lloyds share are worth ****all at the moment. Since they own Halifax, TSB, Bank of Scotland and goodness knows what else besides, any endorsement from  satisfied customers has got to do some good!!!

Rick

PS: My UK bank account is with the Nationwide, which has just reduced interest on current accounts to 0%!

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 08:08:54 pm »

I'll give Barclays a  :-)) as well. Similar story. Got a call on my mobile asking if I was in the UK or abroad. My card details had been used in the USA, but as this didn't fit my 'profile', the transactions had been declined. The card was stopped and a replacement arrived less than 24 hours later.

This was followed up a few days later with a call making sure that everything was OK and assuring me that nothing untoward had happened to my dosh!

Full marks to them.

Andy
Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.

craftysod

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 08:14:22 pm »

I'm with Natwest,no problems with them,wont be using the card abroad though.
Here is a site to help people as we are talking money,
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/
Mark

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 08:30:37 pm »

I have had several problems of a similar nature. The bank reaction is to cancel and re issue the card which is OK up to a point but can cause problems if you have regular payments or subscriptions which use the original number and which is no longer valid, ITunes. RAC/AA for example. And if you subscribe to a card loss protection facility you have to update that as well.

It does seem to me that the banks feel that this is sufficient but they have only addressed the symptoms rather than the cause of the problem, i.e. how did somebody get your details and is anything being done to pursue the matter - unlikely I fear.

The last time it happened to me the police declined to investigate further because an offence had not been committed. In other words, it's OK to clone and attempt to use a card as long as the fraud does not succeed. (I even gave them the address that the fraudsters has asked for a replacement card to be sent to which the bank was happy to do despite it not being my billing address.   >>:-() <*<

I think that the level of credit card fraud is being concealed by the banks who prefer to keep a lid on the problem and fund the losses by increasing charges to their customers.  >:-o

Colin

maninthestreet

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 10:40:29 pm »

Halifax are a Bank, not a Building Society. They merged with Bank of Scotland to become HBOS and are now part of the Lloyds Banking Group. I bank with First Direct - I can't fault them.

Bartapuss

• Full Mayhemer
  • Deltic's Rule OK!
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 11:13:40 pm »

I dunno, I wake up in the morning hoping to hear this news bulletin,

After working off an anonymous tip off and subsequent uncovering massive criminal activity within RBS, police moved in on former chief executive Fred Goodwin at his Edinburgh mansion earlier today, as officers went to make the arrest it was mistakenly thought he was about to produce a weapon and was shot through the head by a police marksman, killing him instantly.   What a F****g tragedy!!
Anyway more important news, Shearers back,  in charge of the Toon.
Every time I learn something new, it pushes something old out of my brain - I says wot I likes and I likes wot I say!!!

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2009, 08:52:13 am »

Fred Goodwin has a lot to answer for but so do many others, some of whom are still in positions of power. However, it suits them and it most certainly suits the Government that he takes the flak. It avoids them having to answer awkward questions.

Barry M

john strapp

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2009, 09:16:27 am »

Bartapus

yet another manager for Newcastle, I can see the government bailing them out next!

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2009, 09:22:12 am »

Fred Goodwin has a lot to answer for but so do many others, some of whom are still in positions of power. However, it suits them and it most certainly suits the Government that he takes the flak. It avoids them having to answer awkward questions.

Barry M

I have a lot of sympathy for Sir Fred, poor dear. In fact I'd be quite happy to take some of his flak for him.............for, say, a thousand quid a week? That's not even a tenth of what he gets from the shareholders of RBS (aka you and me). It sure makes this  guy's public sector pension look pathetic.

Ah, me..........'t is Financial year-end, so I'm off to count the stock so we can pay Fred the Shred the taxman some more pennies.

FLJ

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2009, 09:48:20 am »

e. And if you subscribe to a card loss protection facility you have to update that as well.
Colin

Has anyone ever used one of these firms?

I've paid to one for many years and never used it, given up this year. (credit Card Sentinal)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2009, 10:30:32 am »

If you had used it it would probably mean you've been mugged! I can live with that not happening.

Colin

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2009, 11:56:39 am »

Hope one of the other banks you are with isn't the HSBC catengineman?

Tried to set an account up with them to allow me to buy goods over here for a collegue in Malaysia and for him to be  able to top up seamlessly as a premium account holder with them. Noooooooooooooo, cos they wouldn't be my primary banking account, "This is classed as double banking and HSBC won't do this". Seems that you can't give £500 away for THEM to fritter.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2009, 03:19:04 pm »

I had my account broken into via the internet, they took a thousand dollars
I reported it to the bank and they locked the account, with the exception that if I
went to the bank branch just down the road I could still use it, I then reported it
to the police, who took all the info on the fraud and then informed me that they would
work with the bank till the bank retrieved the dosh and then they would follow it
up by tracing the ISP on the withdrawal transaction, have been told it was happening all over
the country that day, the bank replaced the money and there new security is that I will
get a message on the mobile with a code before any amount will be taken from any of
my accounts, one happy chappy with the Bank this end..................

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

Roger in France

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2009, 05:19:46 pm »

I once had a Card Security policy. It also covered lost bagage and keys.

I lost a bunch of keys (car and house) which had the Security code tag applied. I got them all back in less than 24hrs.

Roger in France
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.