Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: so THAT'S why it's called superglue...  (Read 7181 times)

andyn

Re: so THAT'S why it's called superglue...
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2009, 10:12:06 pm »

Another one I did was to superglue my hands together and had to get a scalpel blade inbetween my teeth to get them apart again, still have the scars today about 2 years on...

Stavros

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2009, 10:58:46 pm »

If I am right in thinking most probably me thinking is not a good thing but wasn't supreglue invented by thte americans during the vietnam war and each soldier was given some to patch themselves up

Stav

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2009, 11:06:05 pm »

Yes, superglue was originally developed as a medical adhesive for use in Vietnam . Sticks people together very well doesn't it?

Colin

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2009, 11:11:56 pm »

Some years ago I was preparing to remove the battery from a car. The battery was the type with vertical terminals and bolt-on cables. The first cable was unbolted without a problem. The second had a corroded nut/bolt which stuck. I applied more force, the bolt sheared and the spanner swung down to contact the other terminal.  I can now describe what happens when you short-circuit the terminals of a fully charged 12volt 45 Amp-Hr battery with a spanner.

There was a flash, a very loud bang,and the entire top of the battery was ripped off and hit me in the face followed by a shower of acid.  I believe two things saved my sight; the first was that I was wearing specs and the acid sprayed my face and not into my eyes and the second was a large bucket of water I had nearby and into which I immediately rammed my head.   When I surfaced some time later I hosed down the car body and the surroundings.

Surprisingly, neither I nor the car suffered any damage but from that time forward I treated batteries with more respect.

Barry M

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2009, 01:58:12 am »

Another one I did was to superglue my hands together and had to get a scalpel blade inbetween my teeth to get them apart again, still have the scars today about 2 years on...

If you get your fingers stuck together with superglue, just gently roll your fingers back and forth. Superglue is not good at bending, and little by little your fingers will come apart without damage.
It might take 5 minutes or so.

You can speed this up if you have access to acetone, nailvarnish remover, or even some plastic glues contain acetone.
There is also a superglue remover on the market, Loctite do one.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

OMK

« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2009, 03:11:37 am »

"There is also a superglue remover on the market, Loctite do one."

Erm... how is he supposed tp open the bottle with both hands glued together?  ;)
And...

"In a similar vein, don't do the ironing naked. "

A bit like the Irishman who answered the 'phone while doing the ironing.

TCC

« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2009, 05:56:31 am »

Some years ago I was preparing to remove the battery from a car.
I remember watching something on Discovery.. the program about the scotish mechanic in spain? Well the useless lad who was there. He charged a battery while it was still in the car, when time can to stop the charging, he unclipped the leads before removing the plug from the wall.

On the program, they are all standing around with the camera on the group and there's a  muffled bang behind them with him walking straight to the toilet... they all followed him there and he was washing acid and extracting bits of plastic off himself.

That coulda been worse!

I remember I once tried to stop a circular saw with a finger nail... I nearly fainted after that one. Shock! I only lost half the nail but felt as weak as a kitten. [I didn't really try to stop it, I was putting it down and the finger came in contact with the still spinning blade]

My luckiest escape was on a building site: I'm on a scaffold at bedroom window-ledge height, it's a housing estate and all the area directly under the scaffold was full of both full and open brick & slate pallets, planks, wood, and all sorts of cxxp. I'm up there getting set up to do my work and went to put the guard rail back on as a roofer had unclipped 1 end to lean his ladder against the gutter.

Just as I'm about the push the rail back into place, the plank went from under me and I swear to god the only bare patch of soil under there was a big as a telephone book and I landed feet first in it. Talk about sureal... 1 second earlier I was up there, now I'm looking at a corner of a the pallet of bricks like 4 inches in front of me crown jewels. I looked around to see if anyone was running to see how I was but no-one saw me. I had to go looking for some sympathy.

What saved me was I still had hold of the guard rail as I went and my instincts gripped that rail for dear life and bent it in a big 'r' in my graceful arc down... and that's how I landed after the planks*... it broke my fall. I was blxxdy lucky that day, I can tell ya. All I had was scuffed palms as the rail had hard sand/cement drops on it and they was like sandpaper on me poor hands.

* this is where the pallets and shxxe saved me as the planks must have fell the other side of all the cxxp and so couldn't bounce back over and hit me.

It was just a surreal experience.

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2009, 09:07:17 am »

Some years ago, I was working as a maintenance fitter, I was overhauling a large centrifugal pump. As I was driving the coupling off the shaft with a hammer and lump of wood, my mate at the other end moved the shaft - result: 7lb hammer came in direct contact with middle finger splitting it wide open. It looked just like a sausage does when it bursts under the grill and all the flesh and fat bubbles out!

Went to the med centre, nurse then sat me down and proceeded to push all the flesh and fat back inside with her fingernails - think I fainted at that point! What a wus!
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2009, 09:26:07 am »

I nearly fainted just thinking about it........  {:-{
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2009, 10:40:04 am »

Since we're going there...

I was on an Archaeological dig in Carlisle in the early eighties, on a large site about ten feet down, scraping the surface of Roman occupation. It was a hot day, so none of us wore hard hats (yeah, "slapped wrists" - I know). To keep the sun from drying the soil out too quickly, we made moveable shades by leaning large sheets of 1/2" plywood against wheelbarrows at the very edge of the dig.

At one point, while I was hard at work leaning over something no-doubt fascinating, I heard a swoooooosh-thud. And right beside me - as in literally touching my shoulder - was an 8-by-4 sheet of plywood embedded in the soil that hadn't been there half a second earlier.

Something like 20kg of wood had tipped over the edge in a small gust, and fell guillotine-blade-like right past me.

I suppose it might not have taken my head right off, but I'm sure it could have at least broken my neck.  :o

Andy

Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

Hagar

« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2009, 08:40:30 pm »

I had a rather slose call with a sledge hammer once. We had removed a large storage tent at work, but the "tent pegs" could not be pulled up from the asfalt. They got the chop with an angle grinder. After tripping over the stump left in the ground, I got a bl00y great hammer to whack them right down into the asfalt..
After the second or third strike, the head broke off the shaft as I was swinging it up from behind me.
The some what lighter shaft of flew ten feet forward and the head? That went directly upwards, was arrested by gravity, and fell down to earth with a solid thump landing between my feet. The syump of the handle scratching my nose. Talk about close!

The remaining stumps where left as was.

Just remembered an other thing that was a bit lucky. Tried to lift a pallet of toilets down from a stack six pallets high. The smaller open truck I was in could not lift so high, so I jumped into one of the bigger ones with a closed cabin.
totally wrong i know but I took the top two pallets in one go and started to reverse. At this point an other truck comes flying round the corner. What do I do? Jep! Jumped on the breaks. The bottom pallet was soon against the guard rail, the top pallet carried on, rolled off and fell directly onto the roof of the cabin from about 5meters up.
Apart from the toilets getting totally smashed to bits the only other damage was to my underpants.

riggers24

• Full Mayhemer
  • Just full of stupid questions
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2009, 09:51:46 pm »

After a pressure test on a 10" flexible pipe, I had to take the majority of the M30 studding out but I was reaching above my head with my right to extract the studding and my mate came over to tell me something and being distracted I dropped the M30 stud on the right handside of my forehead, slightly pee'd off I decided to extract one on the left side and my mate still laughing at my misfortune I told him where to go and dropped another M30 stud on my left handside of my forehead. So now my mate's on the floor losing all of his bodily functions, so I left the rest of them and decide to remove the high pressure fittings when the open ended spanner slipped and smacked me in the mouth. That was it spanner sent flying across the workshop and I was off for a couple to cigarettes.
I will finish the crash tender someday - Still got tooo many toys to play with

das boot

« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2009, 03:37:26 pm »

THIS is why I worry about you lot....

Rich

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2009, 05:38:21 pm »

Don't worry, at this rate there will be fewer and fewer to worry about.....  :o

TCC

« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2009, 11:30:57 pm »

Yes, superglue was originally developed as a medical adhesive for use in Vietnam . Sticks people together very well doesn't it?

Colin

Ever spill superglue on yourself and have it burn you?

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2009, 09:48:58 am »

No, but people react differently. I can't use standard cyano as it gives me severe hayfever type symptoms for three days. On the other hand I can use epoxx with no problems but some people suffer a skin reaction to it.

Colin

omra85

« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2009, 09:02:46 pm »

On the other hand I can use epoxx with no problems

I know it's all "Elf and Safety" but I think you would be better to put it on your models rather than your hand  {-) {-)

Danny
 %%
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.