Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hegi Mistral  (Read 6011 times)

g7tmu

• Full Mayhemer
Hegi Mistral
« on: April 04, 2009, 07:00:32 pm »

Hi all

I have just acquired a very old Hegi Mistral yacht, in a fairly tatty condition. It's 42 inches in length and a sort of classic pond yacht style, with a bermudan rig.

I would be pleased to hear from anyone who has seen, built or sailed one of these yachts and would be particularly interested to know how old it is. A google search has drawn a blank.

Mine is just about worth refurbishing I think and I have made a start stripping the umpteen coats of varnish off it and making good some very minor hull damage etc. It has a sail winch installed, which although fairly old still works fine, as far as I can tell.

I will upload some photos if there is any interest?

Thanks

Victor

Tester

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Hegi Mistral
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 08:07:11 pm »

Hi Victor

I would be very interested in any photos, so please go ahead and post as mant as possible  :-)) :-))

Richard

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 03:55:51 am »

Hi Victor

I would also be interested in seeing this boat.

And if you are thinking about doing a restoration and repair, there will be even more interest.
If you wanted to do a restoration log, you will find you will get a lot of help and advice along the way, if you need it.

Mark
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

g7tmu

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 04:18:04 pm »

Here are a couple of photos of my Hegi Mistral. So far I have only stripped varnish etc. and removed some of the very tatty fittings etc.

There was a gap between the lead keel and the fin which I have filled with epoxy filler, but the hull and superstructure still need rubbing down etc.

Hope this is of interest and I am still hoping someone can make a guess at the date of the kit?

Thanks

Victor

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 04:22:32 pm »

Now that is a very elegant looking model :-))
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

NielsdB

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 03:08:29 pm »

Good afternoon, I found these links @ google
http://www.cersten.de/mistral/mistral.htm
http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showthread.php?t=15295

(Use babelfish or google to translate)

g7tmu

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 10:25:52 pm »

Thanks NeilsdB for the links re my Hegi Mistral.

It looks as though it is circa 25 years old, from the info on the 2 web sites.

My refurbishment is progressing slowly and I will publish some more photo's shortly. I am currently repainting the hull and repairing the cabin superstructure which is in a poor condition.

Thanks again

Victor

g7tmu

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 01:43:27 pm »

I am progressing quite well with my Hegi Mistral rebuild and I have attached another update photo of my progress.

The cabin superstructure has been repaired, as has the deck and hull. I have started the repaint but quite a long way to go with that.

The rig needs a major repair and I will make new sails for it.

Victor

Inkmark

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2009, 02:55:29 pm »

Hi Victor
I have one of these purchased in 1993.
The original fittings were not up to much so I made my own diamond stay set up and deck fittings for the rigging.
The rudder is rubbish, they need a deeper rudder for decent control, again I made my own.
The boom fitting is a modified ball link and I bought small blocks and made my own downhaul.
It sails OK by staggers a bit in winds over about 10 or 12 mph.
Best of luck, they do look good on the water and are worth the effort.
Cheers
Mark

g7tmu

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2009, 06:13:18 pm »

Hi All

Thanks Inkmark for the info, very useful. I will increase the rudder area as you suggest and I can see that it is very much a light weather boat. The rig on mine will be a bit different to the original , as I have to make new sails anyway, as the old ones had nearly rotted away.

I had to go to the sailmakers this morning to sort out some repairs to the sails on the full size yacht I sail on and I managed to scrounge some white spinnaker fabric for the Mistral's new sails. They simply cut a chunk off the roll of my chosen fabric, which was good of them.

My full size sailing takes up a lot time in the summer months, so it may be a few weeks before I get round to doing any more work to the Mistral, but will add some final completion photo's when I do.

Thanks for the help.

Victor

Inkmark

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2009, 03:27:36 pm »

Hi Victor
I have attached some pics to give you an idea of my modifications, rudder and diamond stay.
My new confuser is loaded with Vista, what a wonderful programme it is, it has taken me a week to resize these pics and had to resort to Photoshop.
Hopefully they will be acceptable to Martin in terms of size.
If these are acceptable then perhaps I can post a few more.
For 'chain plates' I used brass woodscrews with the head cut off and a slot filed to accept riggings screws. Split pins through a cross drilling allows
quick derigging for transport. I also made a fitting to accept two forestays.
Mark

rob

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2009, 10:49:51 pm »

nice model.
I had one in 1984, seem to remember dropping the keel , i think by 3/4 inch, and getting some better sails made.
If anyone knows John Collins of the Scale Sail Assoc he may well still have it .
in my own little world

g7tmu

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2009, 04:30:44 pm »

I sailed my Hegi Mistral this morning for the first time and overall I am very pleased with it. Still one or two items left to do, but it sails well and very responsive with it's enlarged rudder. I do find the sail winch a bit slow though, after using sail arm servos for so long!

I have attached a couple of photos of it sailing this morning at the Springbok MBC lake at Alfold (nr. Guildford, Surrey)

Victor
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 21 queries.