Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feeling really guilty now!!  (Read 1652 times)

barryfoote

Feeling really guilty now!!
« on: April 04, 2009, 08:02:35 pm »

Oh dear what a day......Decided to cut down two conifers that were blocking the view, only to chop down a little birds nest complete with a couple of eggs. We have put the nest into a nearby bush away from prying cats, but am concerned that they may not survive. Has anybody got any ideas to help them?. I feel lousy about it......soft devil that I am!!

Barry

andyn

Re: Feeling really guilty now!!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 08:45:43 pm »

Preparation Time:        5 mins       Cooking Time:        5 minutes
    Servings    1 portion

INGREDIENTS

3 medium eggs
Level teaspoon of dried mixed herbs or a heaped tablespoon of fresh chopped mixed herbs.
50 g grated strong cheddar cheese    2 oz grated strong cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon olive oil or a teaspoon of butter
Salt and pepper to taste

Preparation Before Cooking
Grate the cheese.
Heat the serving plate in the oven

Cooking Equipment
Frying pan - preferably with a 20 to 25cm (8 to 10 inch) base (not the top).
A 'turner' or similar to flip the omelette over.

Put the eggs, herbs and salt and pepper into a bowl and mix with a fork.

The idea is to get the egg whites and yolks just mixed together and no more. Don't whisk the eggs or mix for more than about 30 seconds otherwise you will incorporate too much air into the mix and the result will be a soufflé rather than an omelette.

Heat the oil or butter to a medium / high temperature in the frying pan. Pour in the egg mixture and after 30 seconds or so mix the firming egg mixture in the pan. This will allow uncooked liquid to get to the base of the pan and cook the mix quickly. After another 30 seconds, when the mix is half-cooked , sprinkle the cheese (or other ingredients) evenly over one half of the omelette.

Cook the omelette until the top has started to firm up and cheese is beginning to melt. This should take around a minute

Using a turner, flip the omelette over in half (the half without cheese to go over the half with cheese). Cook each side for a further 15 to 30 seconds or so until each side is very light golden brown.

When cooked, gently slide the omelette out of the frying pan and onto the pre-heated plate - this will avoid any chance of the omelette breaking.

To keep things very simple we served ours with peas but almost any vegetable will go with an omelette.

Andy :-))

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 08:57:23 am »

I know how you feel footski, I've done that in the past and it does make you feel rotten, it's not soft, it shows you have a caring nature.
I don't know what the answer is, but it will probably be abandoned, the only good thing to come out of it is the fact they had not hatched. When you dislodge a nestful of chicks it makes you feel like a murderer.... you're not the only soft heated begger out there!!
 The only answer is not to cut trees at this time of year... but we've all done it. <:( 

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 01:18:04 pm »

Dear Barry,

You have my sympathies. I brush-cut 1.5 acres by hand to get low level gorse and moss of it (one day), paid someone to take it all off and put into a heap (2.5 days with the 2t Thwaites dumper), left same for three weeks to dry, went to burn all this week, and 2/3rds. way through lifting with pitchfork to closeby burning area found a nest of 'something' with a youngster of some kind in it. Covered all up as best as could be done, and I can only hope that the Parent will come back. These things just happen unfortunately.

Regards, Bernard

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 01:56:22 pm »

Barry,

If you get the eggs inside and put them under a forty
watt globe, they may still hatch, but it is highly unlikely
that the parents will come back for them, they usually just
move to another site and start again, you will need to hand
feed them for about three weeks and then they should
be eating on there own...
As I breed many varieties of birds have to do it when
mum and dad refuse to feed them.........

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

barryfoote

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 02:38:50 pm »

Thanks for the advise guys. We have seen Mum & Dad hovering around nearby, but will leave them where they are for a while and keep an eye on things. I don't think we are up to hand rearing them from eggs!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.