Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: WILD LIFE AROUND THE SAILING POND  (Read 5015 times)

nhp651

WILD LIFE AROUND THE SAILING POND
« on: April 05, 2009, 03:23:13 pm »

I love to see wildlife, anywhere really, but especially down by the sailing lake.
Sadly at Fleetwood, being salt water, we rarely get to see anything other that sea birds and those hardy enough to enjoy that sort of water.
Today, though, we got a special treat, with this beautifull bird, so here's one for our antipodean friends, and not one that we see in Fleetwood every day.
Neil. :-))

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
Re: WILD LIFE AROUND THE SAILING POND
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 08:42:06 pm »

I wonder if its a relative of the one that was hanging around Fairhaven a couple of years ago?
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 08:59:30 pm »

Looks like another Black Swan has slipped its moorings
Freebooter O0
Retired  Ships Officer/ Master.
Experience: 50+ years at sea under Sail, Steam & Motor
Kings Lynn

nhp651

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 09:03:00 pm »

could well be, malcom. it only arrived today.
probably out for a sunday drive. {-) {-)

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 09:09:45 pm »

speaking of black swan, has anone seen francesco's medeteranean voyage on EDEN, there is a lovelly schooner called "black swan"
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 09:24:22 pm »

Thats not wild life, this is wild life.

Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 10:35:36 pm »

Neil, I didn't know there were black swans in England.There are plenty in the rivers near here, though.

Peter.

nhp651

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 10:48:52 pm »

yes, peter.
there are a few here there and everywhere in england, usually innature reserves, but i've never seen one at Sunny Fleetwood by the Sea before.
went back for a double take after it had landed.
she [ i presume a female] had been ringed, so she belongs somewhere.
great shots richard,
now, where's the barbie.

andyn

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 11:09:30 pm »

Whatever type of animal they are, they're annoying around our lake. When you see some of the stupid things that the birds around our lake do, you'll realise why. We had one the other week took off flew straight into a boat travelling at over 30mph. It bounced off the hatch, and into the rooster tail, where it was rolled upsidedown, then struggled to get upright and swam off. Within a minuit it was back in the way.

Why couldn't these stupid useless animals have evolved into something more useful? They spent millions of years as dinosaurs and had to end up as ducks...

My twopenneth in...

Andy

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 08:21:20 am »

Whatever type of animal they are, they're annoying around our lake. When you see some of the stupid things that the birds around our lake do, you'll realise why. We had one the other week took off flew straight into a boat travelling at over 30mph. It bounced off the hatch, and into the rooster tail, where it was rolled upsidedown, then struggled to get upright and swam off. Within a minuit it was back in the way.

Why couldn't these stupid useless animals have evolved into something more useful? They spent millions of years as dinosaurs and had to end up as ducks...

My twopenneth in...

Andy

There is a whole batch of posts elsewhere about our feathered friends Andy, most expressing similar feelings as you have. I know every time I see some tree hugger lugging two carrier bags of Warburtons best with an evangelical look on his/her face coming down to the lake I have evil thoughts in my mind  >>:-(

Mike

nhp651

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 08:21:31 am »

"Whatever type of animal they are, they're annoying around our lake."    

"When you see some of the stupid things that the birds around our lake do, you'll realise why."

I'll put those two comments down to the youthfulness of your age Andy and your inexperience of life, due to the fact that you have a lot of growing up to do %).
However I did think that we humans WERE supposed to be the intelligent ones on this planet, but after those comments, I wonder. <:(
Perhaps WE should take a leaf out of our flora and fauna on how really to behave. O0 O0 O0 {:-{ {:-{ <:( <:( <:(

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 09:36:06 am »

I think as responsible model boaters we have to all realise that we have to share this planet with animals who have an equal right to be here as us.  Calling them stupid seems to indicate that you feel that they have a responsibility to avoid you rather than the other way around however wildlife were not unfortunately trained to understand the ability of a racing boat to move around the water so I would tend to suggest that you should try to avoid them.  We have had a couple of accidents in the past on our pond with geese and ducks coming in to land and we are all aware that it is something we must be aware of and try to avoid.

It also brings to mind the attitude of the general public to our hobby and the requirements to behave responsibly when using public facilities.  A high percentage of public park based clubs are not allowed to use IC engines for very good reason.  The general public also have a right to a peaceful walk in the park so we have to compromise and restrict ourselves to sail and electric.  We have sometimes been accused of harrasing the wildlife on the pond, quite wrongly from what I know, but we have to therefore be careful not to be seen to condone such behaviour.

I think we have to be careful that we do not reinforce the publics predudices as regards our hobby and remain considerate and responsible in our attitudes towards others.  The first line in the post above perhaps generates a bit of thought, "Whatever type of animal they are, they're annoying around our lake."

You see, it's not your lake.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

ronkh

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009, 10:11:35 am »

Useless?? Stupid??
I thought this topic was to show the wildlife that sensible people can enjoy whilst out sailing around "their" ponds/lakes.
As Bunkerbarge rightly said and to paraphrase, responsible model boaters have to realise that the water is shared with the wildlife and that it has an equal right to the habitat - maybe more so - then we do.
Do not forget, the wildlife was here well before mankind came along and started to screw their natural habitat up, be it ponds, forests or where ever.
I suppose you would like to see none of the "useless, stupid creatures" around so that you could have a wonderful time making a "natural" noise with your i/c boats?
Perhaps, if you had one, you would think that letting your dog run around barking/defecating and chasing after the wildlife, you would think that that is natural as well?
I had always thought that you were quite an intelligent young man. Please prove that you still are and that your post does' not reflect your true style of thinking.
I enjoy wildlife. I also enjoy model boats but I would never put boats or any other hobby before it.

Ron.

nhp651

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2009, 10:13:39 am »

Thankyou BB.

Could we please keep this one thread from going contentious like every other, AND PLEASE,

JUST POST LOVELY SHOTS OF WILD LIFE AROUND THE SAILING LAKE.

That's all I ask,

PLEASE. ,PLEASE PRETTY PLEASE, THANKYOU.:-)) :-))

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2009, 10:26:08 am »

You can guarrantee that if I take my wife along to the pond on a Sunday to photograph the boats I am going to end up with pictures of ducks!
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2009, 10:31:44 am »

Same sort of thing with me BB

Some more wildlife at the lake.

nhp651

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2009, 10:33:24 am »

That one is the best yet Richard......had she escaped from a buthcers' or what. {-) {-) {-) {-)

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2009, 10:50:25 am »

Nope they run loose in the forest  :-))

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2009, 01:59:04 pm »

Forgot the wildlife in the pond.

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2009, 03:39:38 pm »

Dicky, never realised you sailed on a farm  {-) {-)

Where is it the pictures are from?

nhp651

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2009, 03:48:35 pm »

I'm just amazed at Richard's
the best i can usually do at fleetwood is a 5 legged crab....mind you Sellafield is just accross the bay, and the water glows green in the pond at night,lol %% %% %% %% {:-{ {:-{ {:-{

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2009, 06:18:30 pm »

Dicky, never realised you sailed on a farm  {-) {-)

Where is it the pictures are from?
Its Setley Pond in the New Forest gingyer.

Loads more on www.srcmbc.org.uk  :-))

craftysod

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2009, 06:23:04 pm »

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2009, 09:14:33 am »

Just to clarify things. I also love the wildlife I see around the lake. The sound of swans wings as they strain to gain height still takes my attention away from my boat. It is just that my last two clubs' waters have been poisoned by humans chucking loads of bread in that attracts (naturally) more and more swans, gulls and pigeons (and probably after dark - rats !) Now as NHP651 asks lets just concentrate on the wildlife  O0
Here's a couple of shots of one of a pair of egrets that turned up last summer to do some fishing

Mike

nhp651

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2009, 10:26:54 am »

with those beedy eyes on the look out, it's a good job they're not down on Richards lake in the new forest, or we wouldn't be getting those shots of the coy carp.lol %%
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 22 queries.