Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Motor suppression on a Graupner Speed 400?  (Read 4838 times)

jonny shoreboy

Motor suppression on a Graupner Speed 400?
« on: April 05, 2009, 06:21:39 pm »

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if I needed to solder a motor suppression kit to my Graupner Speed 400 (7.2v). I was told the they stop interference between the motor and the steering servo and stops servo 'twitching'? I am going to use a Spektrum DX5e 2.4 system in my boat.

Um, my next question which might sound a bit dumb, but there is no +/- marked on the motor anywhere that I can see, which I can only assume means that it doesn't matter so long as a positive wire is plugged into the positive of the ESC (which is a plug n play Mtroniks Marine 20) and the same for the for the negative?

Here is a picture to help see what I mean. :-)

catengineman

Re: Motor suppression on a Graupner Speed 400?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 06:29:43 pm »

You have been told right  :-))

I would also slide some heatshrink up the legs of each suppressor and as another tip when yousolder the legs to the motor terminals do the wire's at the same time and use a good soldering iron so that the job is done quickly and neatly or you could end up with a melted end plate on your motor (extreme but can happen)

the terminals for the motor BLUE and YELLOW either way round but on my Graupner motors there was a RED dot  on the end case (handy when I wired up two motors I did not need to reverse the transmitter settings

R,

jonny shoreboy

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 06:41:27 pm »

Thanks mate.

I just rechecked the motor and I too have a small red dot, so this will be the positive?

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 07:04:53 pm »

As long as you connect up the right cables to your speed controller it doesn't matter which way round you wire the motor, do it to suit your transmitter.  :-))
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

787Eng

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 09:08:25 pm »

As you are using 2.4GHz, you will not need to worry with motor suppresion, as the motor RF noise drops off drastically above 300MHz.
you are way above the noise floor, another beautiful thing about 2.4 equipment :-))
Mark

catengineman

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 09:50:09 pm »

Thank you I did not know that until now  :-))

could be time to invest in one of them there  2.4 gigy thingys

R,

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 10:12:16 pm »

When fitting supressors, it is vital to make sure that the component leads are as short as possible, and the same length both ends.  A long lead going to a sppression component is effectively a transmitting aerial.
With permanent magnet DC motors, reversing is achieved by reversing the polarity applied, so marking the terminals + and - is fairly meaningless.  The red dot just gives you a clue which way to connect for the right direction of rotation.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

catengineman

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 11:09:29 pm »

Which is the rule I applied when I wired up my twin motor tugs.

With permanent magnet DC motors, reversing is achieved by reversing the polarity applied, so marking the terminals + and - is fairly meaningless.  The red dot just gives you a clue which way to connect for the right direction of rotation.

I was able to wire it up and KNOW that one motor would run clockwise and the other counter clockwise and not have to worry about changing the transmitter to reverse.
Plus as I use Mtronik ESC's if you switch to the reverse on the transmitter do you not get the brake effect on the motor the opposite way round (if you know what I mean)

R,
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 22 queries.