Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Flower Corvette conversion by jonny shoreboy.  (Read 29337 times)

jonny shoreboy

Re: Flower Corvette conversion by jonny shoreboy.
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2009, 05:15:51 pm »

@Glyn

WoW! That looks amazing! I hope to weather my HMS Bluebell to look the same as yours. I've never really done any weathering on a model boat before so I might need to get you to post a few close ups of yours when the time comes!

Thank you very much for posting that picture!

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2009, 05:36:44 pm »

Out of interest, how do you suppress electric motor noise in your corvette?

I found that the plastic styrene hull acted as a sounding board, and amplified the motor sounds greatly. I wanted a silent boat, and had to make a complex suspension motor mount with lots of silcone rubber to keep the noise down...

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2009, 07:57:37 pm »

Deans Marine Kyte Motor, no noise. :-))
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2009, 09:45:40 pm »

Deans Marine Kyte Motor, no noise. :-))

Really? I have tried two motors in mine - one with a belt reduction. Both were fairly silent (though the belt made some noise), but when put in the hull made an awful racket.

I ended up with a metal sub-floor mounted on the bottom of the hull on silicone rubberfeet, which carries 4 suspension points. The motor was attached to them via more silicone cylinders, and the prop-shaft is driven through a silicone cylinder (all moulded inside paper tubes). It's now very quiet, but it would have been simpler to buy one of these wonder engines in the first place. If I had known....

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2009, 09:27:04 am »

You get what you pay for  ok2

I had the same problem with my PT boat and my gunboat both fitted with Vision 600 motors, could not hear the sound system for the noise of the motors, horrendous.

Changed motors to Deans Marine Kestral motors, perfick. No motor noise worth speaking of.

Glyn

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2009, 09:47:11 am »

Hi Johnny!
Thanks for your kind comments, I'll certainly post a few close-ups of my model. It was also my first attempt at weathering, using the drybrush method. It's by no means perfect, but I'm quite pleased with the result. My main reference was the old Ensign book on Flower Class corvettes (Antony Raven?). The ships' boats, having been recently re-painted, have not been weathered as yet, so they tend to stick out like the proverbial sore thumb!
As a matter of interest, when I motorised the model I used a Monoperm 4.5V motor, which ran very quietly and gave a reasonable turn of speed.
Keep those photographs coming, she's looking good!
Regards, Glyn :-))

jonny shoreboy

« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2009, 05:34:17 pm »

Out of interest, how do you suppress electric motor noise in your corvette?

I found that the plastic styrene hull acted as a sounding board, and amplified the motor sounds greatly. I wanted a silent boat, and had to make a complex suspension motor mount with lots of silcone rubber to keep the noise down...

Engine noise isn't a problem for me because she has only moved backwards and forwards in the bath tube! But if I do get any engine noise (a problem I had never even known about..) I will switch to a Deans Marine one. :}

kamarrada boris

« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2009, 06:32:00 pm »

Esta es mi clase de flor r / c Modelo.

y el puesto de "paso a paso" en el siguiente enlace.

http://www.modelpolanco.creatuforo.com/corbeta-hmsc-sackville-navegable-172-de-revell-tema140.html

jonny shoreboy

« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2009, 09:14:59 pm »

Esta es mi clase de flor r / c Modelo.

y el puesto de "paso a paso" en el siguiente enlace.

http://www.modelpolanco.creatuforo.com/corbeta-hmsc-sackville-navegable-172-de-revell-tema140.html

Just checked the link and some good pictures on there, Looks like your radar is going to move too! I may look into that for my next one. :-))

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2009, 09:16:58 pm »

Did you not see the youtube links on that link ?

jonny shoreboy

« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2009, 01:23:10 pm »

Did you not see the youtube links on that link ?

Nope, but thanks to your heads up I have now.  :}

jonny shoreboy

« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2010, 01:34:05 pm »

O.k. back to the radio set-up. It's quite a bit of work getting the radio gear set up correctly especially as this is my first R/C boat and I don't really know what I'm doing, I'm basically making it up as I go along. Learning as I go but having a lot of fun in the process. Anyway, I want to finish of the R/C placement so I can then get the model ready for mounting the decks, finish of the basic painting, start gluing the model together then do the weathering ready for its maiden voyage.

Luckily the radio system I'm using for this boat is pretty basic being a single screw boat. So I'm only doing a basic lay out for the radio gear. Here's a picture of the lead tidied away in the bottom of the hull and shows some where I have added some balsa wood to fix bits onto.

The next step was to make parts for the radio gear to sit on. I must admit I was a worried about building stuff out of plastic card as I didn’t know how to cut it. As it turns out I just scored the lines then snapped it and it worked well for what I needed. So using my new knowledge I made a small box for the battery to sit in and cut a section of card for the radio gear to sit on. I then used stainless screws to fasten these parts to the balsa I had fixed to the hull. The idea is to be able to strip it out easily at a later date if I needed to.

Next up was to use Servo tape (basically a double sided foam strip) to fix the receiver and speed controller to the plastic strip. I also have some Velcro strips I’m going to use to make sure nothing moves around.

That’s the radio gear set up almost complete. I need to extend the on/off switch as I want that to be accessible via a hatch later.

The next major step for me now is to set the decks up for removable access.

jonny shoreboy

« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2010, 06:52:08 pm »

O.k. time for a quick update.

I have been working hard on getting the ballast correct and I was amazed at how much I needed and how moving it just a small amount changed how she was sitting in the water. I have been taking my time with this as I have been warned that if the ballasting is wrong it can ruin how the model handles. In the end I have added 1.2kgs of lead to the bottom of the model. With the battery at the front I have had to add quite a lot of weight to the rear of the vessel.

I have also been working out how I am going to fix the decks down. I thought about various different ways to do it but in the end I have decided to go for the simplest option which is to have both the top and bottom decks removable and fixing the on/off switch to be usable from under the skylight.

With all this worked out I am nearly ready to fix the bottom part of the lower deck. Here are some pictures of how I added the ballast and the balsa wood I added to make it easy to fix the top deck.

Extra weight under the front of the battery

Added extra ballast at the rear. These parts weigh 400gs

The balsa I added to the hull with the idea of using stainless screws to hold the deck down.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2010, 08:50:24 pm »

Just looking at your UJ, is it smooth and quiet when tested?   ok2

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

jonny shoreboy

« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2010, 09:49:52 pm »

To be honest I don't really know. When the motor spins up it spins freely when I take my finger of the gas so to speak. As for noise there is quite a lot of vibration noise (I guess) from the motor in the plastic hull?

If I have made a boo boo please let me know as this is my first boat and I'm still learning!

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2010, 08:36:23 am »

Your motor and prop shaft should line up so that the UJ is straight.

Can you lower the motor at all ?

jinks8

« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2010, 02:36:11 pm »

DickyD is bang on that is what is coursing most of the noise if you can not lower the motor try a longer shaft this will give you more room under it.  Leave prop shaft tube in place but put in longer shaft 

jonny shoreboy

« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2010, 05:29:19 pm »

Thanks for your help guys! There is quite a bend in the UJ but there should be enough room for me to lower the motor without to much trouble. It would have been A LOT of trouble if I had found this out after I had started gluing the decks in place... :((

I'm off to modify the engine position now and will report back.

Thanks again for pointing out the error of my ways!

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2010, 07:36:44 pm »

Here's mine (still under construction)

The metal plate shaped to the hull is mounted on several spots of silicone rubber, and the enclosed motor box is held from that on four silicone posts, which can be individually adjusted for height. Totally quiet in operation, but a fair bit of work.

When I first mounted the motor on plastic direct to the hull, even though the UJ was as straight as I could manage, I still got unacceptable hull resonance.

I suspect a bit of wood (perhaps balsa?) in the mount would help quite a lot....

farrow

« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2010, 10:09:27 pm »

Hi,
My Flower run very quiet and for hours on end. It was my first build and was helped by Shipmate60, he glued a standard 380 motor to the bottom of the hull and wallah a very basic reliable setup. PM and he will expand on it I am sure.

pneumatician

« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2010, 11:48:07 pm »

I also used a "Snowberry" as my introduction to RC Boats. 
Acting upon advice from members of the Kingsbury club I purchased the kit and motor etc from SHG Marine.
The model has run most successfully for about 2 years now.   
I was disappointed to hear that Revell are no longer producing the kit due to insufficient sales.
I managed to purchase a new kit from Hobbies and Models just in case I fancy another go.

I just wish there were more similar scale plastic kits available as I found this excellent light relief and an alternative  from aeroplanes.

Steve

jonny shoreboy

« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2010, 03:04:20 pm »

Revell have said that they will stop making this kit and the two German u-boat kits but said they may re-release them repackaged in about 5 years time. Maybe they will include the instructions for making the Bluebell in future releases as it seams silly to have all the parts and not show people how to use them. This was probably because of some agreement with they bought the molds from Matchbox. I have two more of these kits tucked away as I'm sure my brother will want to build one and I fancy doing a short fo'casle version.

Anyway, thanks to some great spotting by Martin and DickyD (who also pointed out my waterline was incorrect too.. :-))) I removed the plywood engine mount and just glued the plastic motor mount to the bottom of the hull and it has helped with sorting out the UJ issue I had, it isn't perfect but it it a lot better then it was and I will add it to the list of "learning" points I have for this kit.

Anyhow the next steps I have completed (after the engine reworking) was to glue the lower deck in place, and built a (soon to be) waterproof box to help reduce the amount of water that might get in from this decking. The basic construction now is very nearly complete now and all that remains is some more painting and then some weathering. But as soon as the construction is complete at the weather clears up a touch I may even take her on her maiden voyage..

Now for some pictures...

Hopefully the new motor height will be visible in this picture.

number-1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2010, 09:17:55 pm »

Glad to see your corvettes coming along nicely, looking forward to seeing her maiden voyage. Havent given up on mine yet but progress is real slow!

jonny shoreboy

« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2010, 10:09:19 am »

Glad to see your corvettes coming along nicely, looking forward to seeing her maiden voyage. Havent given up on mine yet but progress is real slow!

A wise man once told me "It's not a hobby if you hurry!".

I've been working on this for a year now on and off but am really enjoying it and I can almost see the end now.. Her maiden voyage will hopefully be this spring!

Timmer

« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2010, 04:35:43 pm »

Hi Jonny

Great model. love the thread. :-))

Any chance i could pick your brain about something?

I'm picking up a shiny new revel corvette this weekend (i love payday) but i wanted to try and get a few bits in before hand. ie. Prop shaft/prop etc. Could you tell me the measures for the prop shaft and also what size brass prop I'm going to need. Hopefully i can get these online and have everything together for the weekend. Any help is much appreciated

timmer
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 23 queries.