Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A quick Hello and a little help on what this boat is.......  (Read 2307 times)

dickyc

A quick Hello and a little help on what this boat is.......
« on: April 05, 2009, 09:06:43 pm »

Hello all,

Firstly i wanted to say hello. I am new to RC boats and i must admit to have stumbled on it by accident.

My name is Rchard and i live on the sunny Lincs/Norfolk border. As i said i kinda stumbled on this boat and i now need some help.

I was out running my RC truggy round the back of the house and a neighbour came out, pointed at my car and said i have one of those, an electric one and a boat with one of those engines. Long story short and i now have a near perfect 80's Tamiya Boomerang and a boat which i have no idea about!!!!

So can anyone help with the little fella in the pictures? The engine was a little stiff but with a litle work its now free and needs a clean. As for the rest i have no idea. Any advise/tips welcome. The engine mount seems to be in tact but i cant see any servo mounts.

The photos are on my online storage as im not sure how to put them in the post. They are at........................

http://drive.123-reg.co.uk/51329-470248691

I would like to get her running again, and there is a local boat club but they dont allow IC engines. I work in Peterborough and there is a club there so i think i may have to contact them and see if they allow engines.

Well, thanks in advance and hope you can help!

Rich.

andyn

Re: A quick Hello and a little help on what this boat is.......
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 11:21:41 pm »

Welcome to the forum :-))

Don't know about the boat but the engine is a HP .40, a very good little engine. I clean them by putting them in a butter pot full of fuel, then scrubbing the gunk off with an old electric toothbrush. You will certainly want to change that coupling to a new one, firstly the plastic will be weakened from age, and secondly they aren't designed to be able to take that much power. Also if you soak the engine in fuel, and turn it over a few times whilst in the fuel (make sure all holes are immersed, or they will squirt fuel everywhere), it will help to get rid of all the caked in old fuel inside the engine. Once this is done (I leave them for about a week), take out and immediately stick it under the hose on the patio, from a distance. Turn it over a few times to get the fuel out, and put some after run oil in. Reason being for the immediate wash is because nitromethane is corrosive.

Best of luck with it

Andy :-))

bogstandard

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 04:35:18 am »

In the 1974/5/6 era, a model company produced two models, one was called the 'Fletcher Arrowshaft' and I think the other was called the 'Fletcher Arrowbolt', both loosely based on full sized boats. I think yours might be the Arrowbolt, most probably around 36" long (old money), being based on a very early version of this hull.

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/BS08447

I think they both used a large aluminium casting hanging on the transom to simulate a Z-drize with an inboard engine. I know the Arrowshaft had one, because I struggled for months trying to stop the prop from ventilating, eventually being cured by a dose of bodyfiller to fill up machining grooves in the casting. After that, coupled with an OPS 60, it flew, but only in a straight line, it just didn't want to go around corners very fast.

Maybe a shot of the back end and propshaft line would verify it.

Bogs

dickyc

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 07:56:43 am »

Thanks guys,

The engine clean is underway, i had been using nitro as a cleaning agent. As for the tooth brush i could use the wifes................... %)

I should have said that the boat does indeed bear the words Fletcher and Arrowbolt on it but i had found the same site!

Due to the age, i suppose one big burning question would be is it worth re-building and getting going again? I know that any hobby usually needs a bottomless pit of money but will i find any parts needed or, for the most part are they universal?

Im not really a 'model maker' so scratch building parts is not for me. I just dont have the time, patience or tools for this.

Again, advise always welcome.

Rich.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 19 queries.