Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scratch Build 144 scale Typhoon  (Read 4673 times)

shipwright65

Scratch Build 144 scale Typhoon
« on: April 06, 2009, 02:36:38 am »

I am attempting to build a Typhoon Sub, i have opted to build from scratch as this part i can relate to.

I started with scouring the net looking for drawings and plans. what i found was really just the basic outlines and a couple of station offsets. armed with this information i produced a set of drawings in autocad that is an approximation of all these drawings bundled together. i then inserted 16m (112mm) into the missile section. (this was done because my son believes it looks meaner) %.

now that the plans are in autocad it was easy to print out the frames, paste them to stock ply wood, cut and glue together. the hull is planked with 1mm 3ply which will be glassed over to allow for a mould to be taken off. 

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
Re: Scratch Build 144 scale Typhoon
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 06:11:13 pm »

Ah my favourite sub, if your building a particular hull and need some addition info for detailing drop me a PM. Your hull shape is already looking more accurate than the only commercial hull available in a similar size

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 08:35:48 pm »

Bet you've gone all weak at the knees!!!!

shipwright65

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 01:39:49 am »

Well it's been a while since I Have done any work on this. Just after starting I busted a tendon in my foot and after recovering from that i then did the same to a tendon in my left elbow. Still not mended fully but at least I'm able to slowly start back into this project.
The hull has now been fibreglassed with epoxy and is requiring some major fairing. so the plan is to get it close and then coat it up with a high build coating and then fair it up some more. I haven't decided if I'll take a mould off it yet or just run with the prototype.

bassplayer1

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 11:17:55 am »

Excellent job my friend! I like it!

bijou

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 05:53:11 pm »

HI.I am building a sub from scrtach also.

bijou

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2010, 05:58:40 pm »

and from second stage sanding first time:

in the heat of the summer,me during sanding:

pugwash

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2010, 06:38:24 pm »

Bijou, What heat, what summer, you obviously don't live in Britain?

Geoff

bijou

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2010, 08:51:33 pm »

NO of course.I am from ROMANIA,Europe.All these week temperature was betwen 35-42 degrees Celsius!.In my balcony(my workshop!) was 37 degrees!.

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2010, 11:46:04 pm »

It's winter  O0 O0 here in Sunny Queensland temperate 28 celsuis.  :-)) :-))

shipwright65

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2010, 11:06:57 am »

Nicce Job Bijou, Its winter here in NZ also, with a nice 11 Celsuis and a tone of rain to keep the dust down, lucky me i guess with weeks of sanding to get through! {:-{

bijou

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2010, 09:22:07 pm »

Can Y send me a "small piece of Y luck"?!.Or a couple of rain drops?.PLEASE!. ok2 {-) :-))

And please tell us evrything Y do on sub,am interested of Y method.All the Best and Good Health.

bijou

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2010, 02:17:51 pm »

Hi all. @shipwright65  any news?.I am interested how is going.I am very happy because I've got my propeller from Alexander Engell.It is indeed a quite peace of art!.Has 70mm in diameter and my question is:wel bee enough to move my sub?;The motor is 800/18 with home made gear ratio 7,5:1.What do You think?.
Any advice wel bee appreciated.
Yours "bijou".

shipwright65

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2010, 11:22:31 pm »

Hi bijou
Ive been having a bad time of it lately, I'm considering going backwards with the build as I'm a bit unhappy with the hull shape in the bow section. i have a couple of options.
1.      chop off the bow and build a new section
2.      scrap this hull and start again
 I think that option one might be the best course of action, so I'm re drawing the lines in CAD and will frame up the bow section over the next couple of weeks.

i have started on the control surfaces, rudders and stern planes so will get some photos of these as they progress.

we have just had a big storm pass over and it sounds like it will be affecting us for the next few days, with high winds and heavy rain again.
Rob

bijou

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2010, 11:42:20 am »

Hi all. @shpwright65-I hope everything is OK with You all.
       What happend with the bow?;Way do Y change the shape?; what's wrong with it?.You have some complex blue prints of the sub and what You have done until now doesn't match?.
    Unfortunately my work is a couple steps behind for some reasons but I hope I wheel catch up next month.
   Best of luck MARIUS.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 22 queries.