Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Blown ESC......NOT  (Read 2915 times)

AberdeenAngus

Blown ESC......NOT
« on: April 06, 2009, 08:28:03 am »

Someone snuck upto my boat and connected the battery the wrong way round....yeah, ok, it was me  :embarrassed:
I thought....oh,well that's the ESC goosed.
But, wait, what's this......just the fuse blown.
Nah, can't be !

Yup, changed the fuse and right as rain.
ESC is a little 15Amp Mtroniks Viper plug&play.
It was a 25AMP fuse !

These little things are STURDY !
Thought I had toasted it for sure.

Was it a fluke, or have other people had similar experiences with ESC's.
I always thought rev. polarity was sure death !

stallspeed

Re: Blown ESC......NOT
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 12:02:25 pm »

Was it a fluke, or have other people had similar experiences with ESC's.
I always thought rev. polarity was sure death !

I've done it myself many a time - without a fuse - and I've been quick enough to remove power before damage occurred.

The ESC should actually survive because it has actually got two pairs of diodes and they each have the same current rating as the ESC transistors.A 15 amp ESC would have transistors rated at well above 100 amps and the diodes are more than capable of taking the current surge that causes the fuse to rupture.

The diagram shows how a bulb and relay can prevent full power being permamanently applied when an ESC is reverse connected.
Connect the ESC the wrong way then its internal diodes are in forward bias and the two-diode-drop is insufficient to keep the relay closed.The ESC diodes then only conduct a fraction of the filament bulb current.
Connect the ESC correctly then the voltage across the relay coil rises and makes the C makes contact with the NO which connects the battery to the ESC.  It is a useful benchtop tool and is sometimes a feature of power supplies.

keef666

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 03:15:02 pm »

one question, when you fit an inline fuse its the live + wire from the battery to the speed control, is that correct!, i don't have any on my boats, but my new build at the moment the speed control cost an arm and leg and i don't want it going up in smoke

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 05:04:34 pm »

Fuses are on the +ve side and just watch the ampage draw of your motor(s)

In the future I will be fitting a ESC that has reverse protection or buy a unit to stop that from happining

keef666

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 08:40:24 pm »

thanks for that, using 2 x 540's in a RV11 viper, those good people at mtroniks inform me it will drive two just so long as the amps draw isn't greater than 25, also using two 6volt 4amp battries link to make an 8amp, as the viper is a 4.8 to 9.6 volt, normal price £65 on offer at Howe's models £25, Keith

OMK

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 09:08:00 pm »

AberdeenAngus, I hope you won't mind my hijacking your thread for a moment, but just a quickie question for Seaspray...

Seaspray, your signature at the end of each of your posts', can you throw some light this way, pse? I assume the forward slash is there to separate each word (yes?/no?), but most of the other dots and dashes are a tad too close together for me to distinguish each letter. What does that signature actually say?

Proteus

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 02:24:09 am »

not morse as know it CLFDE / BUTL/ BEV/BUIL/BCOB

Proteus

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 09:43:10 am »

-.-. .-.. -.-- -.. . / -... ..- .. .-.. - / -... . ... - / -... ..- .. .-.. - / -... -.-- / ... -.-. --- - ...

CLYDE           /  BUILT          /  BEST     /  BUILD         /     BY   /     SCOTS

-.-. .-.. -.-- -.. .   -... ..- .. .-.. -   -... . ... -   -... ..- .. .-.. -   -... -.--   ... -.-. --- - ...  no slashs

PMK  the forward slashs are to seperate words       Use a mosre translator and let me know by PM what this says, cheers.

.--. -- -.- / / - .... . / ..-. --- .-. .-- .- .-. -.. / ... .-.. .- ... .... ... / .- .-. . / - --- / ... . .--. . .-. .- - . / .-- --- .-. -.. ...  

its the E that can catch you out  (E  single dot) if you don't use morse.

Martins the spell checker just went nuts.

OK. Lads into hibernation again need to get some work done on the Meteor

Aberdeen Angus sorry for hi jacking the thread but you'll forgive a fellow scot ....... anyway whats the score with the ESC

OMK

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 01:17:53 pm »

Dah-di-dah-dit, dah-dah-di-dah.......
The letters C and Q.... gettit? (As in 'seek you').

Thanks, Seaspray.
My Morse/CW is somewhat rusty and although I've been brushing up, I'm still having the same trouble as Proteus. Like you say, the letter E can throw you, and most of the other letters are still a tad too close for my dodgy eyes to read.
Maybe the link that you sent in your PM would have been better if the chap had employed characters from the extended ASCII set. Would have been much nicer to see the "." in line with the "-", as opposed to trying to decipher periods and hyphons. (Yeah, I guess I'm too finicky).

Top thanks for the heads-up, just the same.

di-dah-di-dah-di-dah
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 21 queries.