Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Swan-Hunter. The final chapter.  (Read 2152 times)

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
Swan-Hunter. The final chapter.
« on: April 06, 2009, 05:47:28 pm »

I suppose the day had to come, but the following pics show the yard cranes loaded into the floating dry-dock that Largs and Lyme Bay were built in. I haven't a clue what the black lattice tower is / was. And now it's all going to India.
Notes from a simple seaman

mackem1946

Re: Swan-Hunter. The final chapter.
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 01:57:20 pm »

Bloody good job they didn't take the Yard Gates as well.  Been away 31 years, last worked at WPPS at Howden Yard, in 1978.  Another sad sight and tale for my age group. 

DieselDo

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 05:02:56 pm »

A sad day for British Shipbuilding.

richtea

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 05:33:22 pm »

Another historical industry in its death throes. We will soon become Napoleons "nation of shopkeepers".
Shame on the politicians of the last 40/50 years that have stood by and done nothing to help. >>:-( >>:-(

Bartapuss

• Full Mayhemer
  • Deltic's Rule OK!
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 06:32:51 pm »

Bryan, the lattice tower as you put it was also one of the cranes too, a sort of hammer head type if that gives you an idea as to what it originally looked like. The jib/derek ran across the top with rails and a small bogie travelled back and forth with the lifting hook cables. I'm very supprised it gone as it was long redundant and never used all the time I was it Swans, there was talk of it was going to be dismantled back in the 80's but just never got round to it. Its a shame its all gone but at least they'll see more use and just haven't been cut up for scrap, especially the big red one's (bloody stupid colour) preferred them in the blue/yellow livery with SHS shaped as a ship and not the daft fish on the back.
Every time I learn something new, it pushes something old out of my brain - I says wot I likes and I likes wot I say!!!

Brian_C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 09:55:05 pm »

YEP   BYE BYE SWANS,,, WILL THE LAST MAN OUT TURN THE LIGHTS OFF >:-o
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 21 queries.