Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ebay - Fake emails warning  (Read 1874 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Ebay - Fake emails warning
« on: April 07, 2009, 01:42:13 pm »

Be warned!

Just to let you know I got a very genuine looking FAKE email supposedly from Ebay informing me about me about a change of my ebay email address - it was the right one I use and the link was spoofed to and it was only FireFox that flagged it up and stopped the page loading!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

nhp651

Re: Ebay - Fake emails warning
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 02:16:08 pm »

CHEERS, Martin. :-))

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 02:22:23 pm »

Thanks Martin but no worries for me I closed my Ebay account as they are getting to big for our good
and basically stealing from us now with there fees, so they don't exist for me.............. :-)) :-))

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 03:27:59 pm »

Also watch out for FleaBay "Emails" asking you to confirm your Email address to activate your account..... almost got caught out by that except that they used the wrong Email address ( my hotmail one , I use my ISP Email for my Ebay lol )
Davie Tait,
Scotland

BlueWotsit

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 03:49:45 pm »

The important thing with any such email asking you to confirm or log into any account is not to do so from any link in your email reader program.

Check validity by all means but log in, in your normal way through your browser - that should help prevent fraud.   :police: :police:

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 07:34:05 pm »

they are getting more crafty now ,i have had my fair share of them and all i used to do was put my curser over the link and read the address on the task bar at the bottom left of the screen , it normally dont match the link/site.
The latest ones i am getting are trying to rip you off via paypal
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

TCC

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 04:38:16 am »

I get similar but from Amazon, it had me going for a few mins till I saw the e-mail address they'd sent it to (mine) when I'm not the nameholder for our Amazon account, that got me wary.

The e-mail says we're 'moving our server'/'upgrading our security' and that you have to click this link and log-on, the page looks authentic with a credible address like www.amazon-securty.co.uk or something like that. I did log-on to this page one day but with swear-words for a password/e-mail address (bleep@bleeper.co.uk) and passed through to a 2nd page which wanted name, rank and serial number. Actually, the question field was THAT extensive, it actually wanted things right down to mothers maiden name, tel No, all the useful stuff a data theif would find useful to create accounts or get paperwork in your identity.

I also 'Who Is'ed the server address and that's how I sussed it definitely wasn't genuine.

I just pass them on to Amazon.

p.s I also filled in this extensive form one day with the usual 'anglo saxon stuff', submitted it and was briefly thanked before they dropped me as once you submit your data, they have what they want.

Having been through it, I can see how easily it would be to be taken in, indeed, one e-mail from my ISP had me going once... it was the above 'upgrading our servers and if you have multiple accounts, log-on and use them or loose them' type of message. What saved me was my laziness as we have a few and it'd have meant getting a load of addresses and passwords together. hat was a close one... :-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 22 queries.