Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Theodore Roosevelt  (Read 2553 times)

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
Theodore Roosevelt
« on: April 07, 2009, 02:13:55 pm »

Just been down to the car park to catch her before she sails tomorrow. 88000 tons , 5000 crew and somebody said she carries more planes than we have in total !

Mike

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Theodore Roosevelt
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 08:47:37 pm »

somebody said she carries more planes than we have in total

And they probably meant the RAF!

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 08:00:25 am »

Hey, that's a bunkerbarge tied up to her!  Well more of a bunker coaster I suppose!!
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 08:09:52 am »

Sadly you are probably right Colin, but we still talk big  !
 Bunkerbarge - I wondered why a (albeit very large) namesake of yours would be attending. To add to the mystery I think she has been there since the TR arrived. Could it be that the auxillary equipment has to be fueled conventionally when the reactors are not in use ? Some person will know amongst our clever members

Mike

The light bulb above the bonce has lit .....Jet fuel ??

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 08:59:35 am »

She apparently carries 90 fixed wing aircraft plus helicopters, as you say Colin, more aircraft than the RAF.  %)
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 09:11:51 am »

There will be a large number of conventionally fueled pieces of equipment such as ships boats, auxilliary equipment and of course aircraft.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 11:20:14 am »

There will be a large number of conventionally fueled pieces of equipment such as ships boats, auxilliary equipment and of course aircraft.

Probably that's why. It makes sense to be ready for a racing start, should the proverbial hit the fan somewhere in the world, to have her permanently topped up and not get caught short so to speak  ok2

Mike

Jerome Morris

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 04:00:08 pm »

In this day and age the US Navy Has to be ready....With the amount of money the defense department gets...stuff WILL hit the fan if they are not ready.

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 06:16:22 pm »

Was that a slightly disgruntled note I detected there Jerome ? %) O0

Mike

hazegry

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2009, 02:54:30 am »

The US Navy IS always ready. The TR is in the yards now my crew is busy stripping her storerooms of aviation parts and transfering them to our carrier so we can get ready to go out lots of 18 hour days. The tanker is probably topping of her tanks for the diesel generators each is the size of a locomotive (one is directly under my berthing space makes for a long night sometimes), forklifts, small boats, aircraft dollys, firetrucks, tugs all can run on JP5. We can go from cold start to underway in a matter of hours so the reactors not running are a mute point. Normaly we refuel underway we can refuel in a couple of hours thats JP5 and marine diesel.  Jerome if your upset about the money spent on the defense dept we just completed the navys 3rd largest construction project under budget by 3 million dollars and we finished a year ahead of projected finish dates hope that helps.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.