Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Red Fridays  (Read 1935 times)

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
Red Fridays
« on: April 07, 2009, 08:59:28 pm »

Nothing to do with model boats>>>>>>>>But............
I have received emails asking me to wear something red on Friday to show A Silent Majority Support for our Troops over Seas.
As an Ex-submarinar and like a lot Ex service personal I certinly support the Men & Women who defend our Country and Freedom...
Has any one else received like emails & what do you think about it  :-)) :-)) :-))
Freebooter
Retired  Ships Officer/ Master.
Experience: 50+ years at sea under Sail, Steam & Motor
Kings Lynn

TCC

Re: Red Fridays
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 04:22:19 am »

No to that one.. but we get some 'round robin' type e-mails and I think they're quite sick really.

It says something along the lines of:

"Hi,
my child suffers from >insert terminal illness< and >insert name of well known company/brand< is sponsoring this e-mail, they will donate >x amount of money< each time this e-mail is forwarded, please forward it to all your friends.

Thanks"

At first, I was 50/50 on it, doubtful a company could calculate accurately for each 'forward' and thus settle the bills properly but you want to give them the benefir of the doubt. But thinking about it, I just think it's an e-mail addres generating scam. Either that or a bored 6th former. What else can it be?

Whatever it is, it's distasteful.

iron99

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 04:35:58 pm »

Here in Canada it is quite common for people to wear red tee shirts on Fridays in support of our troops in Afghanistan. I believe this was started in the U.S. though. You see red shirts often when one of our dead soldiers comes home. The body comes to Trenton air base, then into a hearse to the coroner's office in Toronto. The route taken is the 401 highway, the "Highway of Heroes, and thousands of people line the overpasses to support the family and the soldier(s).

Bee

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 08:17:48 pm »

I think red is rather a poor chioice, like painting 19th century ships floors red before a battle. White, for peace, would be more appropriate.

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 10:32:08 pm »

Bee
  <*<I don't know what this has to do with wearing red on Fridays ...BUT... It wasn't the floors (DECKS) that were painted red ...it was the bulwarks and the gun carriages on British War Ships that were painted red ... the decks were holy stoned daily and when dry were almost bone white (Floors on a ship are something completely different from ashore <you can even have floor celings on a ship but not so far as I am aware, ashore...  Someone will more than likly set me right on this>
 Freebooter

Retired  Ships Officer/ Master.
Experience: 50+ years at sea under Sail, Steam & Motor
Kings Lynn

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 10:53:28 am »

I think red is rather a poor chioice, like painting 19th century ships floors red before a battle. White, for peace, would be more appropriate.

I understand the red represents the red blood flowing through their veins which gets spilt on our behalf. Think Red blooded heroes.

Whatever, they deserve our support IMO.

Doug
Don't Assume Check

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 02:25:06 am »

Red is a signal colour that gets noticed. White is not a signal colour.
Althought the red was started in the USA, it is also the colour of poppeys. The symbol of rememberance in the UK.

White is the colour that is also associated with surrender.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Albion

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 03:38:48 am »

Might get you shot in Thailand right now  :o
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 23 queries.