Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Southampton RTR tug to a more realistic WYEFORCE tug, hopefully!  (Read 3794 times)

ixion

Hi,
This is my first attempt at marine modelling, model railways is my speciality and I have a exhibition layout. Rather than build kits I prefer to modify/detail ready to run items. I have always had a slight interest in ships but rather than ocean liners I prefer the more mundane tugs, workboats etc.
Anyway I bought myself a Hobby Engine RTR 'Southampton' tug which is of course based on Itchen Marine's WYEFORCE. So on a budget here is my first attempt at modifying/detailing a boat, any comments or advice would be great, thanks.

As I didn't want to do a full respray the first thing to do was remove the printed name from the superstructure. Using cotton buds soaked in white spirit the printed name was gently rubbed away.

ixion

Re: Southampton RTR tug to a more realistic WYEFORCE tug, hopefully!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 05:24:11 pm »

The printed 'Southampton' name was removed from both sides.

ixion

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 07:49:46 pm »

WYEFORCE and Itchen Marine lettering has now been applied, not the correct font and probably the wrong size but its what I had to hand. After the lettering was applied it was sprayed with matt varnish to seal it and the lower windows were then glazed. On the port side a orange coloured lifebelt was fixed to the handrails and on the starboard side a red/white lifebelt was fixed to the railings as per the prototype

ixion

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 07:51:07 pm »

The two plasticky liferafts on the front of the superstructure were removed and more realistic items fitted.

A white liferaft cannister was fitted to the rear of the wheelhouse and a orange liferaft fitted on the wheelhouse roof just like the real Wyeforce now carries.

ixion

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 03:07:06 pm »

Did a bit of work on the hull, the white line was painted out as the real WYEFORCE doesn't seem to have it. The Southampton names on the hull were painted out and WYEFORCE applied to the stern.

ixion

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 02:17:26 pm »

The RTR Southampton model has a blue band around the superstructure, looking at photos WYEFORCE doesn't have this so I carefully mixed some paint to as close to the shade I could get and carefully started painting the blue band so it was the same colour as the rest of the superstructure.

ixion

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 02:13:43 pm »

Took my WYEFORCE for its maiden voyage today running 2.4ghz and now with extended rudders that hugely improve the steering.

ronkh

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009, 04:35:15 pm »

Looking very nice :-))

Weren't you making another boat on here somewhere?
Just gone back and seen it, Thunder Tiger!
Keep it up.

Ron.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 20 queries.