Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: model boat club folds.  (Read 2545 times)

nhp651

model boat club folds.
« on: April 09, 2009, 04:30:22 pm »

it's sad but not surprising that the North Fylde Scale Ship Society has folded and sailed it's last voyage.
due to a lack of members showing any interest in joining or renewing their membership, the committee decided at the AGM of April 1st, to call it a day after 19 years of existance.
The left over bank account was, as written in the original constitution, donated to Trinity, the Hospice in the Fylde.
This club is in no way affiliated to or related to FLEETWOOD MODEL YACHT AND POWER BOAT CLUB, which still has a strong and vibrant club membership and has it's club house on the Esplanade, Fleetwood.

MCR

Re: model boat club folds.
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 05:22:06 pm »

Very sad to hear the news. It is for this very reason that Saltwell model boat club works hard to promote the hobby and the club through public sail ins and shows.
Wish you all the best for the future.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 07:33:19 pm »

It is always sad to hear of the passing of a club, but if any of their ex-members still want to have the benefits of club membership and find Fleetwood lake inconvenient, or if they just want somewhere nice to sail,  Blackpool and Fylde MBC sail at Fairhaven at Ansdell on Sunday, Tuesday and Wednesday evenings.

"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

nhp651

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 11:11:45 pm »

one a side note to that, malcolm
one of the members of the folded club applied for membership to the long existing club at Fleetwood, the Fleetwood Model Yacht and Power Boat Club a couple of weeks ago and received written notification today that his membership application had been REJECTED. %% %% %% %%. NO REASON, NO APPEAL.
I'm amazed that in todays climate with rising costs and overheads, a club  can be so choosy.
it's not as though at the age he is in his mid 70's, he's likely to cause too much agro. {-) {-) :(( {:-{ <:(

TCC

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 04:00:07 am »

one a side note to that, malcolm
one of the members of the folded club applied for membership to the long existing club at Fleetwood, the Fleetwood Model Yacht and Power Boat Club a couple of weeks ago and received written notification today that his membership application had been REJECTED. %% %% %% %%. NO REASON, NO APPEAL.

Tell him he's in good company... 'Fred the Shred', the ex-bank boss with a pension equal to some 3rd world contry's reserves, has recently been blackballed by St Andrews golf club. Again, no reason was given. ;-)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1161913/Cant-swing-golfs-elite-snub-Fred-Shred.html

bogstandard

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 08:19:06 am »

It saddens me when you hear of people not being able to join a local club, and have a 'sail about'.

These budding demi-gods, who are sitting in their own little empires, making up their own little rules and regulations, don't realise that 99% of people just want a nice quiet sail on a sunday afternoon, have a bit of a chinwag, and go home happy, and are not interested in pot hunting and holier than thou hierarchy.

I've seen them all in over 40 years of modelling, thankfully not in the clubs I belonged to. Captains hats, cravats, blazers with gold embroidered badges. Built a boat 30 years ago and it hasn't been in the water since, but still brought down to the waters edge as a boast factor. I am not saying they are all like that, but a lot of them are. Making up rules and regulations to give themselves a feeling of importance.

You will find, the less rules, the happier the club. As long as the basic rules and regs are in place, a club will almost run itself without any interference. A light hearted gathering between members will soon sort out a good chairman, secretary and treasurer.

It is time these 'higher ups' & 'rulers' realise, it is the club members that keep them there, and it might be the only reason members 'moan' about anything, is because of what they are imposing on the members.

Just a word to all these controllers. Let the people enjoy themselves. If you want to play god and build yourself an empire, don't spoil other people's enjoyment while you are doing it. You never know, you might want to sail a boat someday, and what would it feel like if you couldn't do it, just because your face didn't fit.

Now awaiting the flak from all the harumphers, mumblers and captain hat wearers.

Bogs

prof charles

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 09:52:02 am »

it is very tue, people who have never been in a position of power of any kind, are suddenly made chairmen and secretaries of model boat clubs, and over night become monsters, the trouble is they forget that they are servants of the membership and not the other way around, I have such a club near to me in lincoln, the lake they sail on is in a public park and owned by the local council, but they have fixed it somehow, so that no one other than members can sail there, especialy me, At the age of 80+ I am blackballed simply because I spoke up at a AGM and against some stupid new rule the secretary wanted to put in place which was to do with cutting down the sailing/launching area and roping it off so that the public could not examine closely the models on show, most of the present day members are only there because they have nowhere else to sail, I resigned as I had reached the point where I was ready to start hitting someone.  I may be 80+ but I am ex SAS

Boy From the Bay

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 10:42:38 am »

From my experience of clubs and other bodies, all clubs are reluctant to be choosy as they all need members. So nobody is ever barred without some reason. And the cry of 'I am only an innocent pensioner' will fall on deaf ear with me. Us GOGS are the worst, we are often as devious and mischievous as children but the have 60 + years of wilyness behind us.

"Methinks the lady doth protest too much" to quote my old mate Will.

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2009, 11:00:18 am »

Now awaiting the flak from all the harumphers, mumblers and captain hat wearers.

Bogs

Why, if the hat fits...................

I fully agree with you and to be honest I sometimes go out my way to annoy these idiots

I had one TRY to tell me off for talking to a park official without consent of the commitee of with one of the committee
present...................It was the park ranger who I have known for over 15years and taught me to paint models

It is a family forum I cant say what was said to him next but you can guess  <*< <*< >>:-( O0 O0

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2009, 11:03:38 am »

it is very tue, people who have never been in a position of power of any kind, are suddenly made chairmen and secretaries of model boat clubs, and over night become monsters, the trouble is they forget that they are servants of the membership and not the other way around, I have such a club near to me in lincoln, the lake they sail on is in a public park and owned by the local council, but they have fixed it somehow, so that no one other than members can sail there, especialy me, At the age of 80+ I am blackballed simply because I spoke up at a AGM and against some stupid new rule the secretary wanted to put in place which was to do with cutting down the sailing/launching area and roping it off so that the public could not examine closely the models on show, most of the present day members are only there because they have nowhere else to sail, I resigned as I had reached the point where I was ready to start hitting someone.  I may be 80+ but I am ex SAS

Check with the council what is in agreement I know in glasgow the clubs have the right to deny usage during club opening times to the pond
(never been used when I have been about) but outwith club times it is open to all. as it says public park  :-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.