Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Diving supportvessel Well Enhancer 1:75  (Read 105566 times)

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
  • Very passionate about ships
Diving supportvessel Well Enhancer 1:75
« on: April 09, 2009, 07:08:30 pm »

Hello guys,

My name is Josse, and i'm from the Netherlands.
Right now 19 years old (young) and in class 3 of a shipbuilding course, and have returned from a job for that course february this year.
During that "job" i've been on the divingsupport vessel Well Enhancer as leader of all the works in the superstructure, and for that task i've seen a lot of "behind the scene's" things.
Since about half september last year, when i was only 1 or 2 weeks on the ship, i've started building a model of this huge ship (132m long, 22m wide, have been standing on the dockfloor at the time she laid in that dock to be able to mount the retractable thruster, and then i feld really very small, and the ship looked really very huge), and that in scale 1:75.

Some info about the model, before going on to the pics of what has allready been done on the model.

Length: 1,76metres.
Breadth: 0,30metres.
Total height: about 0,74metres.
Weight at depth: 25,4kg.
Propulsion: 2 thrusters under the stern driven by 2 Speed 500 E engine's, controlled by 1 ESC, so can't let the engine's run at different speeds, and then i also got 1 tunnel-bowthruster, and there will be coming a second, but i'm quite rich at this moment, so that'll have to wait.
Features: 4channel transmitter, which will control no less then 10 functions, like propulsion, main hoist derrick, 2 ROV-A-frames and the lifeboats.
              The superstructure will get interior, except for the technical spaces, as the drawings really aren't a problem to me, so i could build the intire interior, but when    people would see my model they would then also know how the real ship looks, and that won't be very much appreciated by the owner of the ship.
              The wheelhouse will get full interior with lights under the buttons in the instrumentpanels, partially sepperatly swithed on and off, but not as much as it does with the things it indicates.
              There will also be crew on board, a part of which is allready delivered, but still walks with weapons which i need to steal from them.
              As this is a real workship there will be some weathering, and in all ways will be build like there is really being done lots of work aboard the model.

More features will come during this buildlog.

Here are a few pics:

Here she is at the beginning of her construction.

Bottom, frames and keel all attched.

Plating started, at the bow i've been waiting for the arrival of the first bowthruster.

Plating at the bow, bowthruster in place, and fo'csle under construction.

In the foreground my previous model. This photo shows pretty good how much larger Well Enhancer is.

Tweety (the bird has been the reason for my forumname) aboard Well Enhancer.

Transmitter.

On of the 2 thrusters.

Started with the superstructure.

What do you mean, large? She's alomst huge ok2

Hull painted and put some crewmembers temporarly on the model.

Test trial with heavy waether, she was doing fine, appart from some water inside.

Started with the electronics.

Looks really very big.

Still my most beautiful photo of Well Enhancer at sea.

Home-made box for the fuses.

Also a nice photo.

Photo made yesterday. Mast under construction, and electrics are also being placed, and i allways like to test the wiring using lights.

And this is what my model will look like when almost finished in about a year or 2.

I'm working pretty much on my model, and as i'm not quite an experienced modelbuilder i show pretty much of my progress resulting in updates at almost every day.
That's it for now, if anyone got questions or tips or something like that, i really like to hear it.

Greetings Josse
Under construction: diving support vessel Well Enhancer scale 1:75, a very big and very ambitious project that keeps on going and going till I finally solve all ambitious things about it and have it working.
A day without learning is a lost day

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Diving supportvessel Well Enhancer 1:75
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 09:39:55 pm »

Update number 1.

Did someone say large model? I think that was a joke :P

Oh, i'm sorry, didn't see that there was pretty much behind it {-) {-) 8)

Wondered how those lights came out there? Well, this photo shows you how :P {-)

Then the lights outside the model went out, and then i made this photo.

Greetings Josse
Under construction: diving support vessel Well Enhancer scale 1:75, a very big and very ambitious project that keeps on going and going till I finally solve all ambitious things about it and have it working.

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 11:01:18 pm »

Hi Josse
Welcome to Model boat mayhem . We have chatted on RC Group Froum.  Keep up the good work.One question what's the name of the ship yard you work in.

John

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 07:56:03 am »

Hi John,

Since february this year i'm not anymore working at a shipyard, but yard i was talking about is IHC-Krimpen Shipyard.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 11:57:05 am »

Did some more work on the mast, so here are some pics of the progress.

First i've drilled the last needed holes in the starboard mast, and after that put the +wires through the mast, the -wires will be soldered to the mast as that will serve as -wire.
Wires only just fit inside, there is really no room left for anything else, but this is the side with the most wires.

When all the wires were attached and were pulled through the legs of the mast i've secured the mast lined up straight, and then i've soldered the 2 parts together.
Still need to smoothen the solder, but i've finished the soldering only a few minutes ago, so that will be done after lunch.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 07:35:05 am »

Lights tested.

Second part of the mast with all lighting attached, and now ready to be soldered together, which has allready been done.

Transmitter on, and so does it's indicationlight. If you look closely you might see the platform in the mast which makes the entire mast a -wire. There is also a rubberband (does things the mailman uses to keep the mail together) between the mastlegs to keep them together.

A few more indication lights, but they doesn't yet act as indicationlights as the wiring isn't yet ready, and the normal mastlights at the first side are on.

Now all lights are on, but when the wiring is completed this won't be able anymore, as this means that there are at least 2 functiongroups on.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 08:40:49 pm »

Sorry for keeping you guys waiting, I've been asked yesterday afternoon if i would like to help my father with photographing during today's christening duty in church, with about 1100 to 1200 people actually sitting there.
It did go well, but it took me quite a lot of time to do the preperations.
That means that this is a update for 2 days.

Some more work on the mast.

Mast at the end of the day.

This is what the modern youngster with a "love" for modelboats does when the weather is beautiful.

First nav-light under construction.

Light at the end of the day.
I work a little bit fast, but because the drill got hot all the time this single part took me 4hours to get this far.

Wheelhouse with some more filling.

And now on to the sailing, took a visiter with me, so he steered the model, and was taking photo's.

Lights that were on were still visibly on while the sun was shining pretty bright.

Love the Speed 500 E's, now i can sail against the wind, instead of being blown backwards like she did when she had the Johnson DC's mounted.

Windforce 4 to 5 against, and still sailing against it as if it was windforce 0.

"How close can i come to the shore?"

With the trim as far forward as possible she goes to fast for the camera at 1/40second shuttertime.

"Hé, you there, get lost. or i ram you!!!"
One of my most beautiful shots.

"Sorry, my paint is more important then a fight."

Spotted from the jungle of Vlaardingen, The Netherlands, the Well Enhancer.

Is this the real ship, or just my model?

Here is the link to the movies of today's sailing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7odcxm3IIvg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ2rz2De-fk&feature=channel

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 12:01:59 pm »

Some pics of today's progress.

Rear funnel has got it's rearwall.

Pulled the wires for the lights on the top of the funnel through the top of the funnel so i can later attach the lights easily to them.

Added 2 more walls to the foundation of the hoisting beam.
Maybe i can start today or tommorrow with the construction of the part that will come directly on top of this, which goes from square to circle.

Foundation for the first of 2 deckhouses on the dive-area.

First wall attached to the foundation.

Added a wall to the funnel on the top of the bridge.

Made a start with the rear bulwark.

Greetings Josse

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 07:59:42 pm »

Hello Josse
You are doing a good job congratulation, keep going, can't wait to it finished
Phil
Steamed up all the time

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 08:50:25 pm »

Hi Phil,

It will take about 2 more years to complete her, so you'll have to wait, but i sure will keep posting updates.

Here is an update again.

Done a lot of work on the functiongroups which enable me to control a hoisting beam, ROV-A-Frames, lifeboats and propulsion with a 4-channel transmitter.
Due to copyright i unfortunatly can't post photo's of the electrics, but i will show a movie of the test during which the lights will show what function is being controlled.
Here is the movie:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGsBkmhr4Sc

Here are some pics of other progress.

Worked a bit more on the rear bulwark.

Added the lights on the rear funnel. The lights going through the front wall will come under a platform that is to come out there, housing the Tautwire.

The foundation of the main hoisting beam may appear to be small, but that's majorly the scale.

Deckhouse a'top of the dive-area is also a bit further.

Funnels from both of the front enginerooms have also got a few more walls.
This ship has 3 enginerooms with generators for providing the ships electricity on which also the drive-engine's are powered.
When 1 of the enginerooms fails there are 2 others able to take over, without losing the ability to keep going everything, as all enginerooms have the same engine's.
That gives the ship very much safety needed for operating with divers.

Here are 2 pics of the bird from who i got my nickname.

"Don't like that bird inside of the camera, want to see something real. Hé, who's that behind the camera, oh, it's my human friend again."

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2009, 11:45:53 am »

Some more progress.

First some refuelling for the captain.  :-)) %%

Funnel has got a new wall.

Casings were pretty weak, but were allready carreing the entire mast with wires and lights.

Some more work on the deckhouses atop of the dive-area.

Last remaining deckhouse under construction.

And the work on the other casing.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2009, 04:57:30 pm »

The weather was good, so i've been working outside today, and then people may spot you while working on your model, and that also happened to me.
A few kids were interestated, and one of them thought lets go to take a close look:

Also gives a good idea of how large this model is. Wonder when this guy starts modelbuilding %)

A lot more work done on the dive-area. Rear hatch now also is under constrution. In order to be able to have the switches accessable this hatch will be removeable.

Roof of the rear deckhouse under construction. After some sanding it now lays in position without the posibility to move, while it still is removeable to get acces to the screw which keeps the deck below in place.

And this is how far i came today.

All funnels are now ready for getting their upper deck.

Rear deckhouse with deck removed to show the screw in it.

Made some boxes to put the spare-parts in to have them with me all the time.

And last but not least an overall view.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2009, 06:03:06 pm »

Hello guys,

As i allready had planned a model of an other ship before i changed my plans due to my to work, and the detailing of this model can almost start, i've decided to start the designstage of my next model.
The next one will be Seven Atlantic, which also still is here in Holland for the final steps of completion, and is even visible from my school.
The ship is build by a other location of the same yard, IHC Merwede, and is also a diving support vessel.
Here is an artist impression for those who are interested:

Because i want to spent at least a hour per day on the designing of this model i will have less time to build on Well Enhancer.
Construction of Seven Atlantic will start after about 1 year, as i need to have some tools which i can't store here, so i need to have my own house, and because i want to finish Well Enhancer a lot further.
Well Enhancer won't be a cheap model, but Seven Atlantic will be even more expensive because i want to have more working features.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2009, 08:23:16 pm »

Some more progress to show:

Thought this path was to narrow, but it's not.

Main derrick under construction, engine's attached, unfortunatly the engine which i wanted to use for the winch (the big one) makes a lot of "radio-noise".

As i want to be able to lift quite a lot of weight with the derrick i'm trying to build it as strong as is possible.
Here is the foundation under construction.

Put some lights in for a photoshoot with lights on, but the lights failt. The ring on the foundation is pretty well visible here though.

In order to keep the hatch closed properly i've been making some edges inside the dive-area to keep it in place.

And with the hatch in place.

Started building the tower at the rear deck. This tower is now 48cm's tall, and the crewmember at the deck shows just how huge this tower is.
When i go to school i still see her laying in the harbour, and 1 of the first things i see is the tower and the helideck.

To let it look more like a real shipyard is working on this model i've laid the parts of the tower down as if it was for storage.

Here the first 2 parts are being glued together.

Some electrics for the lights inside the tower. As i can't reach that later on i've put it in allready.

And here the parts of the tower are glued together.

Battery on top of the tower is to get pressure on the glue.

Starboard side with temporarly the boardlight in place.

Port side with the right boardlight on.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2009, 09:24:50 pm »

Hi Dan,

Thanks, checked it out, and your right about :embarrassed: :o :-))
How could i've missed it? >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(

Greetings Josse

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2009, 11:29:00 pm »

josse, Well Enhancer is becoming a bit of a monster! :D
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2009, 10:18:44 pm »

Went nightsailing today, and as allways, made some pics of it, so here they are:

Here she sailed at a speed of about 16knots {-) {-) {-) O0 O0
Thats a joke, just used a long shuttertime due to the amount of light.

And now the exams navigation at sea:
1), the very easy ones:

a) In which direction is this ship sailing?
b) What type of ship is it?

Didn't know i could be easier, but here is part 2 of question 1:
c) In which dericection is this ship sailing?
d) What type of ship is this?

Here are 2 movie's:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5fAfPB6JwA&feature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_ZCj2YbtBU&feature=channel

Greetings Josse

Garabaldy

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2009, 11:52:47 pm »

Tweety its really interesting reading about the ships in your shipyard where you work as its the company(divex) who i work for who is supplying alot of the dive systems for these ships.  I cant remember which ones exactly but im pretty certain the seven atlantic is one of them.  Im hugely jealous you have access to the drawings for these ships to allow you to build models.

Your model is looking good.  Looking forward to see what you build next :-))

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2009, 09:14:10 pm »

First floodlights are installed:

And also put lights in the front of the dive-area:

Greetings Josse

TCC

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2009, 12:07:01 pm »

Josse
why did you build each level of the bridge structure with a floor and a seperate wall for that level? Surely, it'd have been easier and better to build each of the walls to that structure out of one big sheet?

Cheers

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2009, 03:30:05 pm »

Hi TCC,

That is because of the interior that will come inside of the superstructure.
It indeed isn't working very nice, so on my next model i'll build the walls out of 1 piece, and put the removeable decks with interior inside it.
That will look a lot better, but makes it harder to show the interior.

Greetings Josse

TCC

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2009, 04:39:59 pm »

Hiya Tweety mate
I take it you're enjoying building model boats and learning from them? And that they don't take too much of your time? Well that's all that matters. When I was 19, the last thing that I wanted to do was sitting at home... until I got a girlfriend that is.  ok2 :embarrassed: [why is there no icon for being lecherous?]

sea.mariner, what is the ship in your sig image? I've seen that a few times and thought it was a photoshopped image. Is it a real ship?

Ta

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2009, 09:35:22 pm »

Hi Guys,

Time is of no importance to me, i only want a nice model.
Appart from that i got pretty much free time, and very much like to spend that on building models like this one.
I really i'm trying to get in contact with girls, but i do that by a rather differnent way, more like starting talking a bit, and to do that their isn't much time needed.
I actually have only 3 really big hobbies: singing with the music on my pc to prays God, second is modelbuilding, and 3 is photographing.
Fortunatly all 3 hobbies can be easily combined, like i allready do.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2009, 02:16:02 pm »

Tried to fight the daylight while photographing my next progress.

Floodlights on deck 5 are added. Only 1 of the lights has got a difuser, the others are still to get them.

Overall view of all the lights.

View at the bow.

Will post more pics of the floodlights tonight, that will give a much better look at them.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2009, 09:27:03 pm »

Some more progress, but first some backwards-progress:

Bow crashed against the street during an attempt to go sailing with someone else.
Will modify the vehicle i was using so that i will be useful.

Now the forwards-progress:

Done some more painting.

And now the promised pics of the lights while all other lights are out.

Swimmer with his camera.

View at the bow.

From a helicopter.

From the reardeck looking forward.

Greetings Josse
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 22 queries.