Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Diving supportvessel Well Enhancer 1:75  (Read 105541 times)

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Diving supportvessel Well Enhancer 1:75
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2009, 05:51:40 pm »

josse, a FANTASTIC finish can be gained with spray tins, as long as the sanding is done right.  ALL My boats are sprayed except the RTR's, whicg are color injected plastic moulding.

sand the hull smooth as you can get it, then spray the hull with primer, prefferable the same color as the real ships anti fouling paint, (red oxide in the case of Well Enhancer), let it dry, then add 2 or 3 more coats.  once that has dried, get your local newspaper, mask off the hulls lower area, lay a layer of tape, then tape the newspaper to the layer of tape and spray the top color, allow to dry and then add a few more coats, letting it dry between coats.

once the paint is dry, apply a HIGH GLOSS clear laquer then any waterslide transfers, then add the satin finish.  trust me Josse.  :)   

Nordie's paint job is also sprayed, though the surface wasn't perfect, as a result all the pits and blemishes show through, however that is MY FAULT for not doing a proper job.  Andyn, she's coming to Wicksteed so you will get to see it

A respray of Celestia is planned for later on this year, I'll post a stage by stage walk through for ya
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
  • Very passionate about ships
« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2009, 06:02:09 pm »

Hi guys,

My point is not that spraying gives a bad result, and also not that spraying the normal way needs much tape, but i want to see where the frames are, as that is visible on the real ship as well too.
When the frames of a real ship are being placed, they weld them against the hull. Because of the temperature changes the plates bend, and that is what i want to make visible.
When i would do that with spray i would need to put tape between every single frame, so i'll be doing it by hand, and not using a spray.
Non of the models you guys showed me have the effect i want to see on my model.
Your models are too smooth for being realistic, real workships don't have a smooth hull.

Here's a drawing showing the effect i want to make:

Greetings Josse
Under construction: diving support vessel Well Enhancer scale 1:75, a very big and very ambitious project that keeps on going and going till I finally solve all ambitious things about it and have it working.
A day without learning is a lost day

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2009, 09:57:16 pm »

Hi guys,

This ship still hasn't entered service.
zthe hull-plating you showed is from world war II and before, no welding is used.
This ship has no visible ends of the plates, but the plates are bended inwards due to the heat of welding, and that really is visible.
Don't tell me i'm wrong, i've been standing aboard the ship on dayley basis, and i've done this trick on this model before, with great result, so i know what i'm doing.

Greetings Josse
Under construction: diving support vessel Well Enhancer scale 1:75, a very big and very ambitious project that keeps on going and going till I finally solve all ambitious things about it and have it working.

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2009, 03:27:21 pm »

Some more pics:

With big floodlights on, which are now running on 12V to make it easier for the 6 V battery, so that the lights will all give a reasonable amount of light.
All the big floodlights and the searchlights will have bulbs, the other lights will be replaced by LED's, as there is allready being taken more then 2Amps only for the lights, and that is more then the engine's at full power.

Bulwark on the stern under construction and also painted to protect the wood.

Derrick needs to be strong, so i've been adding some frames inside the derrick.

Greetings Josse

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2009, 04:34:40 pm »

getting there, though the holes need to be filled and treated and the entire structure needs to be smoothed off.  also you need to pay some attention to the paint on the hull, GET IT SMOOTH  before you paint :D

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2009, 05:24:22 pm »

Hi Ghost,

As this is a workship some damage to the hull is affordeable, as the real ships also hit things quite often, and there is mostly not being done quite much to repair the damage, and especially not when their at sea.
This hull is in my opinion smooth enough to be realistic.
The bulwarks and superstructure will need more sanding and filling.
Paint is needed to make the filler hold better.

Greetings Josse

ZZ56

« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2009, 02:16:53 am »

Josse, what kind of filler are you using? Most products sold as wood fillers are fine for taking out dents but dont' have any water resistance.  If you're using a two-part epoxy putty as a filler, then maybe it will have water resistance, but either way, paint under filler is a bad idea.  If the paint separates from the wood it will take the filler and everything on top of that with it.

I have tried out two kinds of filler, Elmer's (tub) and LePage (tube), and the Elmer's stuff does not like to stick to wood.  What i do is apply it with a bent butter knife, pushing it down into gaps and hollows, then wet my finger and run it over the top to smooth out the surface.  then i leave it for an hour before sanding it smooth. The tube of LePage is much thinner and goes on better but i find using the putty knife gives me a better surface with less effort.

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: June 18, 2009, 04:33:38 pm »

Gents, and ladies, I have now trimmed this thread back to mainly the original build posts by Tweety.  I think we are all aware that it had become a bit hijacked so we owe it to Tweety to allow him the freedom to build his model and post it here for us all to comment on in a supportive and if necessary constructive way.

I apologise for all the posts I've removed that were well meaning but I'm sure you all understand that we need to get this back to a build thread.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Garabaldy

« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2009, 12:50:29 pm »

Hi Tweety,

I saw the well enhancer (dam sure it was her) in aberdeen harbour the other week.  She is big red and shiny!

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: November 05, 2009, 09:14:05 pm »

Time for a new update:

Bottom end of the frame under construction.

Starting to get the right shape.

The frame on it's future place.

The first plate is attached.

This is what it looks like right now.
One of the sides will be used as a hatch so i can come in it for maintance.

I'm also working on the hull again, as that wasn't quite smooth enough yet.
As i still don't want it to be really smooth i have allready bought some very thin planks of wood which i will round of on the edges so it will look like the plates are bended inwards.
Also the new outer superstructure (made of Evergreen) is under construction, and it really is a big improvemement.
Pics of the sanding and filling and new superstructure will come later on.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: November 08, 2009, 07:02:52 pm »

Here are some more photo's:

Crane in place.

Put the servo on a turnable plate, but this will be changed soon to make room for a new working method.

Given a workshop in church last friday, and this was result at the end of the evening:

The people who did the workshop hadn't any experience with modelbuilding.

Here is episode II of the cranehouse:

Attempt 2 to build the cranehouse.

My first better quality soldering work, still can be done much better though.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: November 09, 2009, 11:20:19 am »

Here are some more photo's:

First 2 plates soldered together.

The inside.

Front plate of the crane-house under construction, holes for the cilinders are allready drilled.

After cuting out the plate i soldered it on the other parts.
As the bars are braking loose all the time i will first add plates and then the bars.

Groetjes Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: November 09, 2009, 06:47:14 pm »

And another update:

Did some more work on the cranehouse.

Cranehouse besides the now controlled (but weirdly not working) servo.

Made a bottom-plate of Evergreen, and glued the lot in place.

And last but not least an overall view.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: November 13, 2009, 04:24:51 pm »

Some more progress:

Put the crane-arm further back together.

But by far not finished.

And an overall view.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2009, 09:00:49 pm »

Been working on Well Enhancer again, so time for some pics:

Tweety has been paying a visite to my room again last night.

"What kind of things are those crazy people on those weird forums building?"
I was looking for updates, and as Tweety is interested in everything she also started looking at the updates.

Sorry for the wrong horizon on the photo, as you can i was photographing with my left hand while guiding Tweety to the bow with my right hand.

Tweety on the bow as a statue like they had on the old sailing ships.

Had some help last night for finding the short circuit which stopped the engine's in the crane from working.
It turned out that i attached the wires the wrong way.
Attempt 2 last night (the first set-up went wrong as well) showed some working engine's, so today i worked on getting the engine for the winch controlled as well, and started working on the stuff needed to make the power and rotation of the engine's into movement of the crane.

First cilinder is being made ready for operation.

Crane-arm with new winch and hoisting-cable with temporary hook.
Towing-line is made ready for use as well.

Here's a movie of the crane:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoviKbwEZEo
The crane-engine's are working!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now i need to slow down the turning of the crane.

Greetings Josse

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2009, 10:06:00 pm »

Twetty ... I get it now!  :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: November 22, 2009, 03:38:06 pm »

Used the beautiful weather to grind the hull:

After the grinding with P80 paper on the machine.

Here some more thickness needed to be removed then the hull had, so i suddenly had a hole in my boat.
The hole has yet been fixed.

The stern has been robbed down as well, but has majorly got some filler.

A frame came out of the hull here as it was to big and accactly in between an intersection of 2 plates of plywood.

Bulb has been filled as well.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: November 25, 2009, 10:00:07 pm »

Tiny little update:

Started with the end-plate of the crane-arm a few weeks ago, but in order to save the drills it took quite some time to complete it.
Today i did the last bits and pieces, and then soldered the first of the 2 plates on the crane-arm.

The crane-arm defenatly is the highest point when turned up to highest point.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: November 27, 2009, 11:48:20 am »

Another small update:

Did some more grinding on the hull.
After that i've added the first frame, which will be used for testing this method.
When the glue has dried i will grind it in shape.

View on the side of the first frame.
Makes a nice straight line down to the keel, which is like it should be.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: November 27, 2009, 03:07:55 pm »

Another update:

Some more frames added.
To get the lot in shape i will some molds which will get some sanding-paper on it to make it easier to get the right shape.

Rear end of the part with the bigger framespacing.

I've tried to get the shape in it by grinding, but that turned to be very tough.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: December 02, 2009, 07:52:36 pm »

Because of a visit of Tweety i'll post a photo-update:

"Lets taste what material this platform is made of".

"Hello, anybody home here?"

"Then i'll check the window".

"If there is anyone inside how could he possible get out of there through that tiny little door? That isn't possible".

"I'll see if i can make that door bigger".

"Stupid photographers, stop flashing, i'm starting te be blind because of all that light".

"A surprise? Is the hull starting to look really very realistic after all then?"

"Those doors need to be much bigger".

An overall photo.

Most work is done on my room right now, was pretty much about time, it was a real mess.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: December 06, 2009, 09:18:59 pm »

Time for an update:

Placed the ESC nearer to the engine's so there is more room for other electronics.

This is the set-up of the control of the foghorn.

The arrangement of the lot.

The foghorn has been tested, and it works.
As the purpose of the foghorn right now only is telling others there is danger or morse-codes there is needed to be a "morselight" attached to the foghorn-control, which will also be so on this model.
Here's a movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLFX5a1xAcI
What is there being said be means of signals?

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: December 11, 2009, 12:58:05 pm »

Another update:

Some light-strings hang on the superstructure for fun.

Rush-hour is over here.
I've heard rumours that they serve pretty tasty food.

Starting to get in the X-mas-mood, so i wanted to do something with lights.
As most of the lighting will require some grinding work in order to attach it to a power-source i decided to start with the searchlights as they will stand on the top deck and don't have that problem.
Here the LED with back-plate is being glued on the tube.

The mold for grinding the planks in the right shape.
The first test is succesful, but the pics i made don't show the shape quite that well, so those pics will come later.
Maybe some paint will help.

Made the first support for the light.
I think the result isn't quite that bad.

These parts will keep the light in place.
For height-control i will use a rod in the wires that power the LED.

Greetings Josse

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: December 13, 2009, 03:13:45 pm »

Josse, will you actually concentrate on one part of the build before moving onto the next stage!

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: December 27, 2009, 11:25:17 am »

Finally some more progress!!

Work on the hull goes to fast for the glue to dry, so i continued work on the superstructure.
Here 1 of the sidewalls is kept in position so i can tonight light up the places where the windows are coming.

Placed the rear wall which will keep the other walls in place as soon as it is glued to them.

This photo shows quite well what i'm going to do with the planks, though this bit also is work in progress.

Greetings Josse
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 23 queries.