Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Diving supportvessel Well Enhancer 1:75  (Read 105538 times)

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
  • Very passionate about ships
Re: Diving supportvessel Well Enhancer 1:75
« Reply #100 on: July 30, 2010, 02:53:08 pm »

Another update:

The lifeboat with 61 crewmembers in front of it.
This amount of crewmembers should be able to fit inside this lifeboat, but it looks very small for so many people.

First block of the stern glued to the hull.

This is what it looks like aboard the Well Enhancer.

The second block has also been placed.
The last 2 blocks have also been placed and brought into shape, but i don't have any pics of that.
This boat is now waiting for the first layer of filler.
Meanwhile i've printed the drawings for 2 other types of lifeboats, and the first of these types of boats is already under construction:

This is the hyperbaric lifeboat which has a pressurized cabin for 18 divers and room for 4 crewmembers.
The divers can enter the boat through an airlock in the bottom.

Here the keel and deck have been glued together.

Greetings Josse
Under construction: diving support vessel Well Enhancer scale 1:75, a very big and very ambitious project that keeps on going and going till I finally solve all ambitious things about it and have it working.
A day without learning is a lost day

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #101 on: August 03, 2010, 02:34:12 pm »

Here's an update:

The hyperbaric-lifeboat has got the first piece of it's frame.
The rest is also placed, but i don't have any pics of that.

I've been ill for a little more then a week now, and that has forced me to stop working on my models.
Today i restarted the work, while my dad was sanding and painting a door near the place where i was working.
Here is the result of a nice afternoon on the roof-terrace with my dad:

The reardeck has been sanded, but because it's very clear that more filling and sanding will be needed here i didn't paint the deck.

The hull after having applied the primer.
This is a much better paint-result then i used to have, but next time i'll most likely use an airbrush.
I allready have a starters-airbrush, which will be used to paint the hull after having it sanded and filled again.
It will take quite some time to finish the paintwork with that airbrush, but i think it will look even better then this.

Last but not least, the other side of the hull.
I've worked much more on this side of the hull, and that has resulted in a much better finish so far.
Still, also this side needs a little more attention.

Greetings Josse
Under construction: diving support vessel Well Enhancer scale 1:75, a very big and very ambitious project that keeps on going and going till I finally solve all ambitious things about it and have it working.

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #102 on: August 03, 2010, 05:08:10 pm »

Another update:

The cilinder which is to turn the crane-arm up and down is attached to a disk so i can drive it later on using the servo underneath it.
It this point i don't know how i can firmly connect the 2 disks to get a flexible connection, so does any of you guys have an idea how i can do this?

Does anyone know a good way to firmly secure the threaded wire to the disk which is used to drive it?
Both disks have been supplied with the servo's and are most likely made of a plastic which is very hard to glue.

Some other progress:

The deck atop of the funnels is being made in the right shape.

First i've cut away the not needed parts to get the deck in the right shape.

4 legs on their place.
I'll align them better using the decks which are coming higher up in the mast.

The lot soldered together.
Their is still a piece of deck to come at the rear of the deck, as this part isn't wide enough.

Greetings Josse

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #103 on: August 03, 2010, 05:43:26 pm »

can i have a close look at the hull please Josse
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #104 on: August 03, 2010, 06:19:32 pm »

Hi Ghost,

A closer look at the hull will come later on.
I allready have found quite some spots that need more filling and sanding, so i'll do that first.
The primer has helped me to find more spots that aren't smooth yet.

Greetings Josse

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #105 on: August 03, 2010, 07:59:55 pm »

once you have the finish smooth, (trust us on this), you will have a better finish, in fact it looks better now than it did with those faux ribs that you tried.  spray the hull in 3 or 4 coats of "red oxide" colour primer, this colour is practically the same colour as what they use for antifouling paint on full size ships.  

then lay on your red colour, at a guess, a red similar to  Deutsche Bahn red will suit it.  to get the waterline level, lay the ship on a flat surface, if you have some lego blocks wooden profiles, or dead batteries,  lay them down alongside the keel if your boat is not flat bottomed, pushing them inwards until your boat is level, however if she is flat bottomed, just lay ot on the bench.  

Measure up the hull, 50mm, 75mm or what ever it is meant to be on a block of  waste timber, say 50mm x 50mm x 100mm and DRILL a hole through it horizontal, and insert a sharp pencil through it then tape it in place.  run the pencil down the hull from bow to stern.  With that done, get some masking tape and news paper.  tape the masking tape half overlap to the news print, so half of the tape is holding the news paper, and use that.  holding the tape at the bow, gently pull it towards the hull, keeping it to the waterline you marked. once this is done, mask up the upper deck and spray.  Because your boat has a slight twist in it, I suggest you do the waterline 5 to 10mm lower than it should be so its not so visable when on display, but ballast to how she SHOULD be, only drawback will she'll look deeper than she really is

once it starts to look like its going to dry, remove the tape.  This is how I did ALL my dual colour hulls
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #106 on: August 03, 2010, 09:20:31 pm »

Hi Ghost,

Thanks for the tips.
Do you mean Deutsche Bundes Bahn red, or just Deutsche Bahn?

Last update for today:

First platform in the mast is being build.

It's getting late here so i needed to stop drilling after having drilled just 1 hole.
After that i've made some preparations for going on with this work later on.

The paint was dry, so i started sanding.

This still isn't very good, here filler will have to be used.

The stern had been sanded before i started painting, but i didn't make any pics of that yet.

After the sanding i've put her back on my room, and there i've applied some more filler.
That's it for today.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #107 on: August 04, 2010, 03:55:06 pm »

Another update:

Drilled some more holes.

Platform in postition.

The hull after more sanding and filling.

Turned the hull around so i can fill and sand this side as well.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #108 on: August 08, 2010, 06:27:53 pm »

Another update:

The forward bulwark was being replaced and it's best to do so before applying a new layer of paint.
Therefore i've removed the front bulwark, and will replace that with a new Evergreen version later on, but as the far from smooth frontdeck is now easy accessable (is that spelled correct?) i decided to first make the front deck smooth.
This is the first layer of filler.

Second layer of the sheerstreak has been placed.

Some pics of my room which is getting some new furniture:

My bed has been replaced, but before i could do that i needed to remove the old one.

New bed.

The workbench.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #109 on: August 08, 2010, 07:56:11 pm »

Another update:

The Sea King has got the last rotorblades.

2 Helo's ready for take-off.

The lower deck of the superstructure has been adjasted for the new deck.
Their will come a new deck made of Evergreen which is to have the right thickness for detailing.

The other side.

Plates of Evergreen are being glued on the existing wooden parts.

With the superstructure.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #110 on: August 09, 2010, 12:30:15 pm »

Another update:

I wanted to have the electrics get to the platform in a different way then over the top of the platform.
Therefore i drilled a hole underneath it to get the electrics through, and then i attached new wires.

Took the boat outside for some filling and sanding.
First i removed the bollards as they were in the way for using the sanding-machine.

Another layer of filler.
This is starting to look better yet.
Later on i'll sand and fill this bit even more, but the hull will also get more work done.

In order to be able to place the still to build anchorwinch (which will be working) i needed something like a hatch to get underneath the foc'sle.
That's why i made this hole in the frontpeakbulkhead.

The new plate for the superstructure under construction.

Windows are being cut out.

And an overall view.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #111 on: August 09, 2010, 06:36:49 pm »

Another update:

Marked the spots that needed more filler.

This part wasn't all to good, but is now being improved.

Greetings Josse

Prophet

« Reply #112 on: August 10, 2010, 01:00:57 am »

quick question , what 'filler' are you using? not house hold wall filler right? that stuffs real heavy and dont flex at all instead it will crack and well pull huge section off.......  .. if you are ... try using car body filler its much better , water proof, sands smoother , tough and light once dryied

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #113 on: August 10, 2010, 06:45:09 am »

Hi Prohpet,

Thanks for the advise.
As it is too late for this hull i'll keep it in mind for the next parts.
The hull is now smooth, only 2 or 3 spots that need just a little bit extra.
Fortunatly weight isn't much of a problem on this model thanks to her size.

Greetings Josse

Prophet

« Reply #114 on: August 10, 2010, 12:16:59 pm »

to protect the hull from cracking i would epoxy and apply matt tissue on the hull this should stop the majority of damage over time to the plaster as well as seal the plaster

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #115 on: August 10, 2010, 04:33:10 pm »

More epoxy?
That's allready under a few layers of filler.
The wood of the hull is full of G4 as i have applied way to much of that.
I'd say more epoxy won't be needed.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #116 on: August 11, 2010, 09:59:54 am »

I got pics for you!!!

First 2 pics of after the filling and sanding 2 days ago.

Today's the big day!!!!!!!
Well Enhancer has got her primer applied!!!!!!!
Here i'm busy doing just that.

Jobs done for now.

The can had enough paint for only 1,5 layers, so i've emptied it by adding more paint over the blank wood.

The bulwarks first need to be fixed permanently (they frequently break loose) before i can make them really smooth.

And last but not least the foc'sle.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #117 on: August 11, 2010, 07:41:29 pm »

Another update:

New attempt to fix the steering mechanism.
Hopefully this will be reliable.

On request some pics of Tweety aboard the Well Enhancer.

Last photo for this time.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #118 on: August 12, 2010, 01:07:41 pm »

Got some good news: yesterday i've tried to fix the steering mechanism, and it works!!!!!!!!!
The glue and nails that attach the gearwheel to the servo's is holding firmly, and as 1 of the servo's allready had a usefull foundation i was able to fix that to the deck, and now the first schottel is operational again!!!!!!
The second one still needs a new foundation, but that will be done today.
Because it's raining from time to time here i can't paint today, so know i'm able to work on the propulsion.
That's the advantage of the bad weather.

Greetings, a very happy Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #119 on: August 13, 2010, 11:57:41 am »

Another update:

The new set-up of the servo's.

Next saterday the modelbuildingclub of which i'm a member will be at an event nearby, and first i thought i could sail there, but that's only for the "childsboats" (children pay for sailing with them, Graupner Pollux is the base for those boats), and the paintwork isn't finished far enough to go sailing.
Still thinking i would soon go to sail with her i put the bollards back in place.

The adjastment to the transmitter to stop the schottel from getting out of control.
Hopefully this will be enough, but i can't check it out on the shore because i can't see both of the gearwheels.

As i have found a good way to attach a servo to something else i decided to try it out on the crane.
The crane-arm had 2 parts in the wrong place (a side-piece as bottom and a bottom as side-plate), so i've first got those loose to get them in the right place.

Meanwhile i've been looking for a suiteable solution for getting the winch connected to the servo.
In the end the best way to do so appeared to be using a shaft that fits inside the edge on the servo-disk and use a rod to make sure the winch will turn.
While i was soldering the rod to the shaft of the winch i had the servo-disk attached to it as well, but that became to hot so it melted near the rod.

I'd say it's straight.

The crane-arm again without any aids to keep it in shape.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #120 on: August 14, 2010, 07:25:26 pm »

Another update:

The hull has now also got it's first 5-6 layers of red paint.
Hopefully i can tomorrow apply the Tamiya Red Dull paint for the final colour here.

This is where the engine of the mechanism for turning the crane-arm up and down will come.

Position of the winch.

Greetings, a very happy Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #121 on: August 14, 2010, 07:28:47 pm »

Here's a post of yesterday which i couldn't post here because of a server problem:

The glue on the winch is dry now, so i've decided to test the engine (a servo of which i removed the electronics to make it work as a normal engine with reduction-gearbox) and by doing that i've also got the cable hoisted in.

Bought some new primer this morning, as red will look better on grey primer (didn't know that when i bought the first primer), and when i came back i've applied the paint.

That's it for now.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #122 on: August 15, 2010, 09:25:51 am »

Another update:

After some light sanding and some proper cleaning i've masked the parts that i don't want to paint, and then i've sprayd the Tamiya Red Dull.
I think the resulting colour (with the red paint underneath it) is better then either the Red Dull or the red paint alone would had been.
I think this is just the right colour.

That's it for now.

Greetings Josse

Prophet

« Reply #123 on: August 15, 2010, 09:37:09 am »

im not sure but i think that red needs to go further up the hull to meet the waterline have you got a plan stating where the water line is on the boat?

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #124 on: August 15, 2010, 10:08:22 am »

Hi Prophet,

I do have plans, but for this i've taken the pictures.
In the general arrangement the waterline is in the wrong place, but on the pics of the real ship the waterline is at the lowest point of the transom at the stern.
I measured that point (put her on a table for measuring) and marked that point.
The draught is about 6,5m.
Also at the bow the waterline is where it should be, and as it is a straight line it will be in the right place everywhere in between as well.

Greetings Josse
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13   Go Up

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 22 queries.