Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Diving supportvessel Well Enhancer 1:75  (Read 105534 times)

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Diving supportvessel Well Enhancer 1:75
« Reply #150 on: October 15, 2010, 03:11:37 am »

yep josse, it doesnt take much black paint to prevent ghosting.  now as for strength, if you then glaze the superstructure and then add a second layer of styrene,it will SIGNIFICANTLY increase the strength without needing the wooden superstructure. 
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
  • Very passionate about ships
« Reply #151 on: October 15, 2010, 05:27:37 am »

Hi Ghost,

That was my idea too.
Before I start glazing i'll paint the outside in the right colour (but first aluminium to stop ghosting, and aluminium because I think that will have less effect underneath white paint) as I have bad experiences with painting parts with glazing in them.
By the way, strength is optained majorly by height of the strengthening, and as these cabins go almost till the centre of the ship, the height is almost as high as it could be.

Greetings Josse
Under construction: diving support vessel Well Enhancer scale 1:75, a very big and very ambitious project that keeps on going and going till I finally solve all ambitious things about it and have it working.
A day without learning is a lost day

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #152 on: October 15, 2010, 03:21:11 pm »

May i suggest flat black inside, then covered over in white.  Spray the OUTSIDE in Flat grey for primer, then white on top of that.

using a laminate on the inside, will improve the structure, and you will only need to do the outer cabins, this will save you time AND more importantly WEIGHT

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #153 on: October 15, 2010, 04:50:31 pm »

Hi Ghost,

This superstructure only has outer cabins.

Weight isn't a problem on this model.

Greetings Josse
Under construction: diving support vessel Well Enhancer scale 1:75, a very big and very ambitious project that keeps on going and going till I finally solve all ambitious things about it and have it working.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #154 on: October 15, 2010, 04:54:53 pm »

Tweet, no matter what size of ship, model or full-scale TOPSIDE weight IS important. Ghosty is correct.
..well can you land on this?

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #155 on: October 15, 2010, 05:13:43 pm »

Tweet, no matter what size of ship, model or full-scale TOPSIDE weight IS important. Ghosty is correct.

and I have found out that Styrene sheet is lighter than wood

THE HARD WAY

besides, looking through such a small window, people wont really see the detail, so making it as a seperate static model would do the cabin work better justice

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #156 on: October 15, 2010, 06:08:21 pm »

There still is added many kg's of ballast, so I do have quite some room.

The idea is good.
Having the cabins on board or seperate won't really change much.
If I want to show the interior to someone I can easily take 1 deck of, and then the interior will be visible.
If the inside is seperate it will also need to be transported seperate as I otherwise can't use seperate lighting in every cabin.
I want to make a system that will turn on and off lights in the cabins (all of them, not just the few that will get interior) so it will look like the crew is going to bed/ reading a book/ taking a shower etc.
Therefore there allready are needed walls between all the cabins, so then it's only a very small step to add the interior.
Besides that, when the cabins are on board the model it will show even more how small the room aboard a ship is for it's crew, and to see the lot in the environment in which it is in real.
Transport of this model allready is pretty difficult, so another superstructure will be much of a problem.

Greetings Josse

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #157 on: October 15, 2010, 06:59:39 pm »

Josse, laminate the superstructure as i described earlier, and use CARD to make the internal cabins, with STYRENE decks.  the existing superstructure can be made as a super-detail as a seperate model, hell you're only going to carry it around 3 times per year anyway amd it will probably FIT ON THE DECK  

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #158 on: October 15, 2010, 08:03:52 pm »

Hi Ghost,

Thanks for the advice.

I actually hope and plan to sail much more then 4 times a year with her.
When I have a full-time job I will go to about all the club-events there are, and that's quite a lot.

Laminating the superstructure?
You mean with fibreglass and epoxy?
I thought that styrene would meld when in contact with epoxy/ polyester.
Strengthening using the walls of the cabins (which defenatly will be placed for seperate lighting) also strengthens quite a lot, so I don't yet see a reason for laminating.

Greetings Josse

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #159 on: October 16, 2010, 01:03:28 am »

but you're only going to take the super detil module 3 times. 

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #160 on: October 16, 2010, 06:19:28 am »

That will also apply for the extra superstructure, and as that takes up too much room in the car, and as it in the end still is for the fun of building i'll go for the super detail inside the superstructure.
Besides, if I need to choose between ballast and batteries or an extra superstructure it won't be hard which one i'll choose, batteries and ballast.

Greetings Josse

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #161 on: October 16, 2010, 06:49:17 pm »

carry it on the deck :) i suspect that the fantail is big enough to act as a transoorter.  Even I have safely carried boats ON boats when going to shows.

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #162 on: October 17, 2010, 01:11:03 pm »

Update:

More strengthening.

Starting to get a solid construction.

The long bar running from port to starboard add's quite a lot strength.

The front of the superstructure has also got some strengthening.

Added the part that makes it able to open the door to the bathroom (what's it called in English?).

Can't come any closer with this camera and my current lenses.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #163 on: October 17, 2010, 01:13:03 pm »

Hi Ghost,

The deck will be full with all kinds of construction, and the crane and tower allready make it impossible to place it there.
Besides that I can't see anything through my mirror anymore when the superstructure is on the deck.

Greetings Josse

boater12

« Reply #164 on: October 17, 2010, 01:22:28 pm »

Added the part that makes it able to open the door to the bathroom (what's it called in English?).

Door Handle  :-))     It will be a tight squeeze to get the model man thorugh that door  O0

Jim.

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #165 on: October 17, 2010, 02:58:57 pm »

Hi Jim,

Thanks.

I indeed also noticed that, but the doors aren't all too wide.
I think the designers thought that all crewmembers would be working hard aboard the ship, and therefore can't possibly be fat ;)

Greetings Josse

boater12

« Reply #166 on: October 17, 2010, 04:24:49 pm »

{-) {-) {-) {-) {-) I wasn't think of fat, just being tall  ;) ;)

Jim.

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #167 on: October 17, 2010, 04:31:32 pm »

Oh, sorry.
Well, the plate underneath his feet will be removed somewhere in the future.
Besides, the person is the captain, and this really isn't the captains cabin.
I've made the doors 2m high, so a normal person should well be able to walk through it without needing to bend it's back.
At the other hand, watertight doors usually also aren't high enough to walk through them with a straight back, so they're used to it.

Greetings Josse

boater12

« Reply #168 on: October 17, 2010, 04:34:30 pm »

At the other hand, watertight doors usually also aren't high enough to walk through them with a straight back, so they're used to it.

Greetings Josse

I have only been a passenger on ferries but to me a 'watertight door' is a hydraulic item, normally bathroom / shower room doors have a slight 'lip' at the bottom to stop any water moving about ?

Jim.

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #169 on: October 17, 2010, 05:53:56 pm »

That's correct.
Watertight doors on merchant vessel are about only found in enginerooms and related spaces, technical spaces and doors leading to the exposed decks off course also are watertight.
The few exceptions on that last rule are for decks that very high above the water and which will therefore only need to deal with water from rain.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #170 on: October 18, 2010, 08:16:48 am »

Update:

Painted the first wall.
I first planned to do this by airbrush, but I probebly hadn't cleant that one good enough last time i've used it, so there was no paint coming out of it.
Then I decided to apply it using old-fashion brushes.

Made way to much paint with thinner, so I decided to waste it on the superstructure.
Fortunatly I still need to fill and sand the superstructure, cause this really isn't anywhere near looking good.

Applied a second layer of paint on the wall of this cabin, and painted the captains uniform.

Another picture of the captain, who might be replaced pretty soon by a real seaman.
Though the painting isn't real high quality, it's pretty good for my standards at this moment.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #171 on: October 18, 2010, 11:14:07 am »

Update:

The new captain.

First bed under construction.
I've decided to first complete the cabins before i'll place them on board.

First piece of the first bed has been put together.

Put the new captain in front of the cabin.

Parts of the new casing which will be carrying the weight of the bridge and mast.

In order to be able to carry the weight of the bridge and mast it off course needs to be pretty strong.

Only the last plate needs to go in, but that is always the most difficult part.

Seems to be properly reinforeced.

As there are some wooden walls blocking the way for the casing i've mounted a wooden plate underneath it.

Some inspection again by our world-famous lovely little parakete called Tweety.

Tweety walking just a bit to fast for the camera.

The smaller corners are also being checked.

"I got the idea i'm missing something down here"

"sorry, I wont give you a hand, otherwise i'll fall down" (i've translated this for you guys as Tweety doesn't yet speak English (to be onnest, she also doesn't speak Dutch either...) and I think most of you won't understand Dutch......)

Here she's sitting cute and waiting for me to drop the idea of welcoming her with my flash in order to make a nice picture of her while flying.

The boat stand seems not to comply the reason is Tweety's mouth (how do you call that in English?)

This is a picture of Tweety while in flight, but i'd hoped to get one with Tweety completly in the photo.

Tweety while sitting on the weakest part of the superstructure.

Say hello Tweety, which she is doing while i'm typing this message...

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #172 on: November 23, 2010, 10:36:38 am »

Finally some progress on Well Enhancer again:

The first casing was too high, so i've shortened it.

Can't stand on 1 leg, and that also applies for the wheelhouse, so I started building the second casing, as the casings will carry the weight of the wheelhouse.

Switched to wood strengthening as the plastic is too weak for this purpose.

Closed the second casing.

Placed it in the superstructure.

Put the bridge on to see if it would be resting properly, which it didn't, so I also added some strengthening to the superstructure.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #173 on: December 13, 2010, 01:06:03 pm »

Update:

Overall view with some christmas decoration.
Saint Nicolas (who's birthday is being celebrated in Holland with much attention and gifts for those who have been nice during the year) gave me some x-mas-balls on scale and a branch, which I used to decorate the Well Enhancer.

Added a light-string.

For school i'm working on an own-design modelboat, and that needs to be build from PUR-plates, so I used some remainders which would otherwise end up in the trashbin to continu the work on the lifeboat and hyperbaric lifeboat (which is shown above).

The normal lifeboat.

Greetings Josse

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #174 on: December 14, 2010, 12:26:04 pm »

Keep going with the fine work, looking forward to seeing it on the water
Phil
 :-))
Steamed up all the time
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 22 queries.