Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Diving supportvessel Well Enhancer 1:75  (Read 105554 times)

boater12

Re: Diving supportvessel Well Enhancer 1:75
« Reply #200 on: April 05, 2011, 10:23:25 pm »

:police: :police: :police: :police: :police:

Thats not very nice

:police: :police: :police: :police: :police:

Jim.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #201 on: April 05, 2011, 10:40:43 pm »

Derogatory comment removed.

Knock it off Andy, he's not hurting anyone. >:-o
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

boater12

« Reply #202 on: April 05, 2011, 10:50:24 pm »

Well said DickyD, I hope a moderator picks up on the comment from andyn  :-))

No need for it at all  ok2

Jim..

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
  • Very passionate about ships
« Reply #203 on: April 06, 2011, 06:53:38 am »

Thanks for the compliments guys.

This ship runs on diesel, and as I build her as she appeared on her first voyage smoke won't be visible in any other way then vibrating air.
Only when the engines are fired up there is a short burst of smoke.
I have been thinking about adding a smoke unit just for having the engines fired up, but i'm not sure about that as to now.
The engines aren't stopped all to often, so most of the time I will be the only 1 seeing the smoke coming out of the funnel.
Seeing the fact that the 2 funnels on the wheelhouse are allready pretty full as the engine for the radar is placed there I may drop the idea.

Greetings Josse
Under construction: diving support vessel Well Enhancer scale 1:75, a very big and very ambitious project that keeps on going and going till I finally solve all ambitious things about it and have it working.
A day without learning is a lost day

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #204 on: April 06, 2011, 08:39:31 am »

... as long as your happy who cares about anyone else  :-)) my motto is 'build for yourself no one else'

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

TugCowboy

« Reply #205 on: April 06, 2011, 10:37:24 am »

Looks like you're still really enjoying the build. I'm enjoying reading the updates so keep it up!

Alex

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #206 on: April 06, 2011, 06:22:17 pm »

Update:

Added another support.

This is where it will be placed.

Last one with even more supports fitted.
Only 1 to go here.

Greetings Josse
Under construction: diving support vessel Well Enhancer scale 1:75, a very big and very ambitious project that keeps on going and going till I finally solve all ambitious things about it and have it working.

kiwi

« Reply #207 on: April 06, 2011, 08:35:05 pm »

Well done Josse,
Your skills level has been steadily improving since you first started this, and the fact your willing to have a go at all the associated add-ons that most people buy in, is a credit to you.  Looking forward to when you get to sail her again
regards
kiwi

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #208 on: April 06, 2011, 08:43:38 pm »

Hi Kiwi,

Thanks for the compliments.

I'm looking forward to sail with her again as well.
As progress is going at a good speed now I think that sailing at 30 april will be possible.
That day we have Queensday here in Holland, and the club will be showing her models for the public.
If I manage to get the wheelhouse painted before that day and I have spare time, good weather and can't wait to sail with her again I might get some new pics of her sailing before that.

Update:

Now that the first 2 legs are connected it was time to modify the base to continu working towards the other legs.

Simple yet effective: put a few nails through the wood, and place the tubes on those, then you can apply the supports.

Unfortunatly this piece didn't fit all too well.
Some sanding and filling will have to solve this problem.

Last panel for the wheelhouse has been build and painted.

Greetings Josse

boater12

« Reply #209 on: April 06, 2011, 08:48:16 pm »

Good stuff Josse  :-)) Its been a while since the Well Enhancer has been on the water, you must be eager to get her afloat  ok2

The part of the wheelhouse that didn't fit reminds me of a quote on this forum ''MEASURE TWICE & CUT ONCE''  :-))

Jim

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #210 on: April 06, 2011, 08:54:12 pm »

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the compliment.

Indeed, measuring at least more then ones and cutting only ones is the best way to build.
The problem of simply cutting out drawings and build from those cut-out drawings is that one can get too lazy to check whether or not a part is long enough, especially when it's about fitting the next part to it.....
I still haven't learned everything I guess.
Fortunatly that is 1 of the things I like so much about this hobby, finding new ways to get the desired result.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #211 on: April 07, 2011, 03:32:35 pm »

Update:

Build a small boomrest-factory in the livingroom to continu the work on the boomrest.
Later on in this update will be some photo's of the ship in action in a fake sea...

Made a support to help keeping the parts straight while attaching new parts.

Fixing the parts properly turned out to be one tough job.
The support is holding the leg straight that isn't being worked on, otherwise I don't have enough room to solder it together firmly.

Unfortunatly 1 leg turned out to be just a bit too short.
This photo makes it look like it's far from straight, but it isn't all that bad.

Put the crane-arm on top of the boomrest to show what it will look like.

As the topplate has now been installed the last 2 tubes can be modified to fit.

Inspection on it's way to the bowthruster.
Apparently the inspector didn't really care about the progress, but more about the fact that the bowthruster still hasn't been repaired.

"Let's see if any oil has dropped on the floor of the dock"...

And now the overall views.

As the ship is sailing pretty close to rocks (those blue and green things in the background) the crew is standing by to take measures to ensure the safety of the ship (no, it's not the Navy, this ship will simply drop an anchor to ensure it's safety...).

As soon as they find an anchor-bouy the crew can get into action to moor the ship to it.

While mechanics are fitting some more parts a group of sailors below is about to arrive with even more parts.
These kind of jobs need to be closely monitored by officers.

When sailing in waters as narrow as this it's not wise to steer the vessel whilst standing in the wheelhouse, so the crew at the bridge have stepped outside to steer her from the bridgewings.

At the bow are also crewmembers standing by to moor her when needed.

Even though this ship was build properly the lifeboats have to be checked out from time to time.

Crew standing by at the bow.

Geetings Josse

pugwash

« Reply #212 on: April 07, 2011, 04:07:01 pm »

Josse when soldering pipes to pipes instead of just using small clamps I also bed them in blue-tack.  stops them moving around
 - mind you you can't keep the soldering iron on long or it starts to melt the bluetack, but have found it very helpful when joining
small pieces of brass.

Geoff

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #213 on: April 07, 2011, 07:11:16 pm »

Hello Geoff,

Thanks for the advice.
I've never heard of that stuff, but i'll see if I can find something.
I have seen people using clay for this purpose.

When I solder brass to brass I don't use an soldering iron, but a burner.
The gas burner gives a much warmer flame then the end of a soldering iron can ever get, therefore making a much stronger bond.
The flame itself reaches 1300 degrees Celsius, and is pretty concentrated.
Using this burner I can easily make the solder flow nicely in between the 2 parts leaving a bond that hardly needs any sanding.

When all the parts are applied I will polish the entire construction, and then i'll paint it with metal primer.

Greetings Josse

pugwash

« Reply #214 on: April 07, 2011, 07:46:22 pm »

Josse - forget bluetack - not suitable for  burner only a low wattage soldering iron.

Geoff

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #215 on: June 15, 2011, 01:28:55 pm »

After failing more then a month to get something to update, i'm finally back!!!
What mounting a dimmer for the lights in a room can achieve...

Placed a piece of deck.
I'll need to fill some spaces up on this part.

As filling and sanding the superstructure has priority at the moment I took some Milliput to fill some holes in the wheelhouse.
It went better then last time, but it still can be done way better.

Groetjes Josse

fatcat123

« Reply #216 on: June 15, 2011, 06:39:48 pm »

A technique i used for filling gaps in styrene was to simply dissolve a fair amount of styrene in plastic weld and then it turns into a thick glue. Take time in getting the mixture right so it is potent enough to bit into the bit you are filling but not too runny so it makes a mess. Then simply use something like a thin paperclip to dip into the glue/filler and then apply to the gap. Sand after a few hours and then your sorted!

Dan

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #217 on: June 16, 2011, 07:52:42 am »

Sounds like an idea.
How should I make the styrene dissolve?

The advantage of using Milliput is that it greatly helps strengthening the lot, which is not so easy with styrene with this thickness.
Next time I build a superstructure i'll use much thicker styrene.

Greetings Josse

fatcat123

« Reply #218 on: June 16, 2011, 07:57:15 am »

Just simply put a bit of plastic weld into a sealable container (old plastic weld bottle etc.) and cut little bits of styrene up and place them in. over the course of a day or so, you should end up with some nice filling material which eats into adjoining styrene thus making it pretty strong.

Dan

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #219 on: June 16, 2011, 08:00:38 am »

What do you mean with "plastic weld"?
Did you mean plastic glue?
If not, where can I get it?

Greetings Josse

wartsilaone

« Reply #220 on: June 16, 2011, 09:19:10 am »

Available at all good model shops :-))

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #221 on: June 16, 2011, 10:43:10 am »

Or this. Plastic Weld  :-))

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #222 on: June 16, 2011, 11:12:17 am »

EMA SHIP WORLDWIDE, - HOWEVER THERE IS A MINIMUM ORDER OF £12-00 also some postal services dont like handling chemicals - this maybe the case for your postal service Josse

so have a look for a local supplier to you, for  methyl ethyl ketone  ( MEK) you should be able to buy this over the counter, in the USA its sold  in litre tins in home depot ! - this is the main ingredient in plasweld....

it bonds styrene  perfectly, drop some off cuts of plastic into a glass jar with a lid and  let is dissolve, - you make your own filler then as fatcat pointed out, its strong too...

all in all its just another brick in the wall......

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #223 on: June 16, 2011, 11:26:40 am »

EMA SHIP WORLDWIDE, - HOWEVER THERE IS A MINIMUM ORDER OF £12-00 also some postal services dont like handling chemicals - this maybe the case for your postal service Josse

so have a look for a local supplier to you, for  methyl ethyl ketone  ( MEK) you should be able to buy this over the counter, in the USA its sold  in litre tins in home depot ! - this is the main ingredient in plasweld....

it bonds styrene  perfectly, drop some off cuts of plastic into a glass jar with a lid and  let is dissolve, - you make your own filler then as fatcat pointed out, its strong too...

Please, if you use MEK, read any instructions or health warnings carefully.

nhp651

« Reply #224 on: June 16, 2011, 01:19:24 pm »

I bought mine straight from them as a supplier but in 3 x 500ml tin cans...worked out a lot cheeper, and I just top up my bottles when I tip them over, lol
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.