Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Diving supportvessel Well Enhancer 1:75  (Read 105582 times)

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Diving supportvessel Well Enhancer 1:75
« Reply #250 on: August 13, 2011, 06:40:42 pm »

An old mechanic's trick, told to me by an old mechanic, is to use a long screwdriver as a stethoscope - blunt end held to ear, other end touched to the item suspected of making the noise.  Once you know for sure where the sound is coming from, you can do the next bit of thinking.  There isn't really much in a servo to make a noise - just the motor and gears.  If the servo is hunting for its "off" position, then it could be that its power line repair is not quite as repaired as you thought.  A poor connection in the black wire will give the strangest results.  Servos work off comparing voltages to derive timings, if the ground line voltage is unstable, the position information keeps changing, constantly telling the servo to move to a new position.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
  • Very passionate about ships
« Reply #251 on: August 14, 2011, 08:33:59 am »

Hi Malcolm,

Thanks for the information.

The red wire was repaired.
I wasn't able to remove the insulation of the wire as it was such close to the connection with 2 other wires.
Therefore I needed to melt the insulation using the soldering iron, so it might indeed give an unstable +
Should this problem be fixed, or doesn't it cause any problems?

Greetings Josse
Under construction: diving support vessel Well Enhancer scale 1:75, a very big and very ambitious project that keeps on going and going till I finally solve all ambitious things about it and have it working.
A day without learning is a lost day

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #252 on: August 14, 2011, 05:23:39 pm »

The only way to know if the wires are OK is to strip that sheathing to the right of the joints in the picture back to see the state of the wiring insulation.  If insulation has been heated, intentionally or by soldering, a visual check may be needed.  Was it the servo doing the chirruping?

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #253 on: August 15, 2011, 08:34:22 am »

Hi Malcolm,

Yep, it was the chirupping one.
Melting the insulation was the only way to fix this properly without needing to lengthen 2 wires and re-attiching both servo's to the + wire.
The broken wire broke down approximatly 5mm from the shrimp hose which holds the connection between the single + wire going to the receiver and the 2 + wires powering the 2 servo's.

Greetings Josse
Under construction: diving support vessel Well Enhancer scale 1:75, a very big and very ambitious project that keeps on going and going till I finally solve all ambitious things about it and have it working.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #254 on: August 15, 2011, 09:51:47 am »

There really isn't much left apart from the negative wire and the servo itself.  Once you actually know what the source of the problem is, it all becomes very obvious.  Hindsight.

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #255 on: October 02, 2011, 01:00:46 pm »

Finally an update again!!

As the rear deck isn't enclosing quite well I decided to see what would be needed to make it enclose properly.
It turned out to majorly need some screws to hold it down firmly.

Here is the only point where weights or screws alone will do the job.

In order to keep the deck flat without using large weights I started making an oil drum with a screw underneath it to secure the deck in place.

This will be the construction in which the second oil drum will be secured.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #256 on: November 26, 2011, 08:04:29 pm »

Finally a new update:

As the bracket for the first oil drum is now placed I can get the deck fit a hole lot better then before.

Next bracket for securing the screws underneath the oil drums under construction.

Placed the new bracket.

Grapped the sanding machine to get the rid of the parts of the superstructure that were higher then the other parts.

Possible position of the first cabin, though I will first need to make some walls and lights for the cabins below it.

As the top of the superstructure has been made flat I was able to mount the first boardlight as part of the navigation lighting.

Placed the first floodlight as well to see what it will look like, and as christmas lighting...

I might want to increase the resistance on the floodlight, as it is somewhat powerful.

Greetings Josse

The long Build

« Reply #257 on: November 26, 2011, 08:12:45 pm »

Thought you had emigrated judging by lack of new posts.. {-)

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #258 on: November 26, 2011, 08:18:34 pm »

lol :} :} O0 O0
No, I having a full time job nowadays.
Need to work 6 days a week, so I've run short on time, and when I'm home i'm so tired that I can't get myself to get to modelbuilding.
Hopefully i'll get some more time for modelbuilding in the near future.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #259 on: November 26, 2011, 09:58:05 pm »

Some overall views:

Quite some work being done in the wheelhouse.

Bought 2 new lenses, 1 of which such large that it blocks the light of the build-in flash, leaving a shadow in the picture.
The other lens is a prime which gives stunning results.

"I'll check if that new floodlight is actually working..."

Who said something about a huge model?

As new years eve is not so far away I got my shop to the docks again.

And the last 1.

Greetings Josse

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #260 on: November 26, 2011, 10:03:17 pm »

Congratulations on the new job Josse - I'm still popping in occasionally to watch your build.  :-))

Dave

wartsilaone

« Reply #261 on: November 26, 2011, 10:10:40 pm »

Great build Tweety777! This one's really floating my boat.

Ali.

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #262 on: November 27, 2011, 07:33:22 pm »

Update:

Omdat het platform hier te laag zat en daardoor schuin trok (en de aansluiting met de andere stukken dek niet goed was) heb ik hier een balk geplaatst om het platform op een betere hoogte te krijgen.

Na een stuk van het losse dek weggesneden te hebben heb ik het berghout verhoogt zodat deze helpt om het dek op z'n plaats te houden.

Using the tool in the foreground I managed to draw the hole for the spring.

Placed the platform again, but now a lot better.

Today I took a closer look at the combination of the waterbreak and the platform, and then I noticed that there was no way to get on the platform.
When checking the drawings I noticed that the waterbreak was removed.

Thus I removed the waterbreak.

In order to make the platform fit better I started to trim down some frames so I could also add the flat bar that still needed to be placed here.

With the added piece of flat bar it allready looks much better.

Platform is now much more tight to the side of the hull, though the bulwark will need to be extended a little bit more.

And as I like to make overall views with the crew and everything set to the best I currently can do I will show you some more.

Watchmen watching every movement.

A mechanic told the captain that it might be useful to build some davits for the lifeboats, as that would make it much easier to launch them...

Some gaurds at the plank.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #263 on: November 28, 2011, 09:05:25 pm »

update:

If you keep a brass plate covered for months underneath some tape you'll end up with this.
Fortunatly this can easily be solved by some sanding paper.

Sanding paper can do miracles when it's all about rust and other nasty stuff.

After quite some effort the second platform has been fitted.
The holes on the new platform came out to far to the centreline, so I needed to extend them.

No time for a nicely set-up overall view, so this time you'll have to do it with this.

Small progress, but it is 1 non the less.

Greetings Josse

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #264 on: November 28, 2011, 09:08:53 pm »

Josse,
You are making good progress on her.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #265 on: November 29, 2011, 08:26:29 pm »

Update:

Today I placed the last platform.

Here the mast is still upside down to show the solder joints.
This is not my best ever soldering work.

The platform ended up lower then I thought it would be.

Today I did have time for setting up a nice photoshoot, and I even added a visitor to todays shoot.

From this angle the visitor to the "fjord-harbour" is visible: Smit Rotterdam.
Only problem is that Smit Rotterdam is practically laying against the rocks...

From this angle she looks such mighty.
Makes it look like it's a huge model (oh wait, it actually is a huge model....)

Last 1 for today.

Greetings Josse

nhp651

« Reply #266 on: November 29, 2011, 09:27:32 pm »

I can't wait for all this to finally come together......there are more electronics in this model that in a lunar landing module and it frightens me just to look at it, but it will be amazing when it all finally comes together and works as you want it to do.....hope you'll take some video footage of it when it's finished.
neil

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #267 on: November 30, 2011, 04:59:19 pm »

There are more electronics in this model that in a lunar landing module and it frightens me just to look at it, but it will be amazing when it all finally comes together and works as you want it to do.....hope you'll take some video footage of it when it's finished.
neil

Lol, more electronics then a lunar landing module allready?
Then you'll need to wait till I'm finished with the electronics, then it will equal like 3 lunar landing modules :embarrassed: %) %) %)

I hope I will be able to buy a new DSLR somewhere next year, a DSLR which is equipped with video function.
My current DSLR is too old for video, and I've sold my superzoom almost a year ago.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #268 on: December 01, 2011, 07:38:31 am »

Update:

Had the morning off, so I grapt my sandingmachine and sanded the rear deck.

Cleaned the entire boat including the inside.

Looks a lot smoother isn't it?

Cut the rear deck in 2 pieces to help improve the fit.
I found 2 planks underneath the deck right where the wiring is placed, so no wonder the deck didn't fit properly...
The planks have been removed.

Also sanded this bit here.

Made this smooth as well.

First attempt for a support for the servo.
Second attempt looks pretty much the same, but the support is in a different position to make room for the winch.

This is an idea of what it will look like.

Greetings Josse

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #269 on: December 01, 2011, 11:36:49 am »

Hi Josse
Nice to see you progressing again.
The picture is a winch that I did for my yacht.  Very similar to your idea.  The line is braid for salmon, very slippery, almost no stretch, and very flexible.  The important thing is to have a guide to make sure the line feeds onto the drum, and to ensure that the line can never snag under the drum, between the bottom of the drum and the top of the servo.  In my case I used a ring of sleeving to make sure the gap didn't exist, in your case maybe a sheet of plastic under the drum cheek to make a separate compartment for the line?
In a later version, I replaced the servo electronics with a proper miniature ESC to get a wider deadband to reduce the chance of it creeping.
The box is a potting box from an electronic supply shop with slots cut into it to take the servo lugs.  The servo snaps in, and is retained by the short length of ali tube which acts as a spacer.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #270 on: December 01, 2011, 12:52:28 pm »

I like that Malcolm :-)

Dave

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #271 on: December 01, 2011, 06:11:56 pm »

Thanks for the advice Malcolm.
There will be a plate a the end of the winch to make sure it won't pull to much on the servo plate.
The spring through which the wire will run will be kept in place at the lower end, so the wire will not be moving alongside the winch.
I will see if there is any room for a plate to make seperate compartments, but as I needed to use a micro-servo I don't think I will be able place anything like a proper plate, a thin plastic sheet to just stop the wire from reaching the servo will be the best I can probebly do.

Greetings Josse

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #272 on: December 01, 2011, 06:42:15 pm »

Pretty much what I meant  :-))
Snagging the line between the drum and servo top is a real pain - it almost always needs a stripdown to get it out again.  If you try to design a machine to tie a knot, its almost impossible.  On the other hand, making one by accident is amazingly easy.

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #273 on: December 23, 2011, 02:14:39 pm »

Update:

I got some advice from a friend regarding what kind of system I could best use to control this model with it's 126 working functions.
He adviced to use the Arduino system of which this is a very capable starter kit.
With this kit I will do some testing and experimenting so I can develop the system to control the Well Enhancer.

Experimenting shield for a hole lot of functions.

LCD screen that is part of the package, but still refuses to display what I want it to display, but that will probebly be my mistake...

Arduino lying on the rear deck to show how small this system is (especially if you consider it's abilities in comparison to the working functions this ship can offer).

This is the most likely place for the Arduino.

As the front bulwark was hanging out to much I decided to pull in inwards using some tape, hoping it will stay in shape.

Now that the main superstructure is pretty much smooth I continued the work on the dive area.
First thing to do is closing the gap between the walls on the main deck and the deck above it.
The rear wall will be reaching till the top of the dive area, though that will make it tough to make and vulnerable, but allows for smoother connection with the rest of the dive area.

I also started with building the walls of the cabins in the superstructure which will make it possible to randomly turn the lights on and off in the different cabins.
This will most likely also be controlled by an Arduino-based system.

Greetings Josse

nhp651

« Reply #274 on: December 23, 2011, 06:58:21 pm »

WoW..............did all this come from a redundant NASA Space Shuttle.....looks as complicated as one..............rather you than me, Josse   %% %% %% %%
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 22 queries.