Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Diving supportvessel Well Enhancer 1:75  (Read 105605 times)

Welsh Wizard

Re: Diving supportvessel Well Enhancer 1:75
« Reply #275 on: December 23, 2011, 07:06:20 pm »

Nice work BUT one Question to you Josse,you state there are !"^ Different functions on this Model,how on Earth are you going to remeber all of them let alone what they all do,NOT being critical or facecious just curious

Dave

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #276 on: December 23, 2011, 07:11:23 pm »

Update:

I got some advice from a friend regarding what kind of system I could best use to control this model with it's 126 working functions.
He adviced to use the Arduino system of which this is a very capable starter kit.
With this kit I will do some testing and experimenting so I can develop the system to control the Well Enhancer.

Experimenting shield for a hole lot of functions.

LCD screen that is part of the package, but still refuses to display what I want it to display, but that will probebly be my mistake...

Arduino lying on the rear deck to show how small this system is (especially if you consider it's abilities in comparison to the working functions this ship can offer).

This is the most likely place for the Arduino.

As the front bulwark was hanging out to much I decided to pull in inwards using some tape, hoping it will stay in shape.

Now that the main superstructure is pretty much smooth I continued the work on the dive area.
First thing to do is closing the gap between the walls on the main deck and the deck above it.
The rear wall will be reaching till the top of the dive area, though that will make it tough to make and vulnerable, but allows for smoother connection with the rest of the dive area.

I also started with building the walls of the cabins in the superstructure which will make it possible to randomly turn the lights on and off in the different cabins.
This will most likely also be controlled by an Arduino-based system.

Greetings Josse
they are a magic board there is a good cook boook for them on Amason, I am using one on my lathe for posithioning and to run a stepper motor as a power feed, very handy and cheap, I have a similar board a mate made a niceData loger with, things are getting better these days for people who want more funthions .

peter

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
  • Very passionate about ships
« Reply #277 on: December 23, 2011, 10:33:17 pm »

Nice work BUT one Question to you Josse,you state there are !"^ Different functions on this Model,how on Earth are you going to remeber all of them let alone what they all do,NOT being critical or facecious just curious

Dave

That's easy, i'll have my software remember it with a very clear icon so I will allways know what it will do.
Well Enhancer will not be controlled by traditional transmitters, but by a laptop or tablet.
In emergency even a smartphone could do the job, though I hope that won't be needed.

Greetings Josse
Under construction: diving support vessel Well Enhancer scale 1:75, a very big and very ambitious project that keeps on going and going till I finally solve all ambitious things about it and have it working.
A day without learning is a lost day

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #278 on: December 31, 2011, 10:21:51 am »

Update:

Due to a lack of time I failed to post some overall views from just after my last update, so here they are.

2 ships passing on the river.

Difference in size is pretty big...

Quite some work being done aboard Smit Rotterdam, which is preparing to moor.

Added the last piece of leg, so now I only need to add the stiffeners.

Also quite some activity at the wheelhouse.

Added a few more walls.
The longitudenal bulkhead has got a few holes for the wiring, though the upper holes will be very hard to reach, but where there is a will there is a way (don't know if I can translate that saying this way, but I guess you'll know what I mean).

The only deck where there will still be interior.

Preview of what it will look like later on.
This will be painted black to prevent light from passing through walls.

In order to make the new plastic walls fit better I removed the formerly removeable bulkhead.
Then I placed a new piece of the bulkhead.

Greetings Josse
Under construction: diving support vessel Well Enhancer scale 1:75, a very big and very ambitious project that keeps on going and going till I finally solve all ambitious things about it and have it working.

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #279 on: February 02, 2012, 11:51:16 am »

Due to rebuilding my room I didn't have much time for modelbuilding, but as my room is now pretty much finished I finally did some modelbuilding again:

Painted the floor inside the wheelhouse, and the wall of the casings.

Captain being proud of his bridge.

Painted the first bit of interior wall which will be placed inside the wheelhouse, against the outer wall.

As I allready was painting I also primered the main mast a little more.
When this primer is dry I can start painting the proper colours.

Now some photo's of my room since I re-installed all bits and pieces for the modelbuilding:

The large photo was taken by myself.
Just above the Well Enhancer starts a gallery of photo's of how Well Enhancer grew from just a few planks into something that more and more closely resembles the real ship.

The tool-pallet is nicely hidden from view when just entering my room, thus having a very nice entrance, and only when walking way further in the room you'll notice this nicely organized tool-pallet.

And the now completly clean and empty workspace, which asks to do some modelbuilding right there.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #280 on: February 02, 2012, 07:19:05 pm »

Update:

Made the first ceiling for inside the superstructure.
The holes will be filled with LED's.

Dryfit of where the ceiling will come.
There will also be a floor, making the wiring nicely hidden from sight, but decreasing the ability to repair things, but LED's are known for there long lifetime, so I don't really worry about that.

Attached some SMD-LED's.

Added a new plate at the rear of the dive-area.

Bottom side of an SMD-LED with all wires attached.
All lights will have there own + wire, so they can be turned on and off randomly.
The - wire is shared, as I don't need that for making them go on and off random.

Earth wire for all the lights on this deck.

Bright enough don't you think?

Placed the ceiling with the lights attached.

Added some supports as it would otherwise be all too easy to break off.
This makes clear to me again that it's way better to build stuff outside the boat and place it when it's completed.

Greetings Josse

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #281 on: February 02, 2012, 07:58:52 pm »

She is coming on well Josse.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #282 on: February 02, 2012, 08:06:03 pm »

She is coming on well Josse.

I think so too Josse ............ but how is your budgie these days? :-)

Dave

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #283 on: February 02, 2012, 08:39:14 pm »

Thanks for the compliments guys!

My budget?
Not all too well anymore, though i'm trying to get a new job where I get paid properly, so hopefully I'll be able to buy some new materials and electronics any time soon.

Greetings Josse

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #284 on: February 02, 2012, 08:45:53 pm »

Welsh Wizard

« Reply #285 on: February 02, 2012, 09:34:52 pm »

How is your FEATHERED friend

Dave

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #286 on: February 03, 2012, 07:14:22 am »

I'm sorry, didn't know that bird were called budgie's as well...
She's fine, seems to have lost her interest in ships, but I may try it again today, she is trying to build a "home", so she's looking everywhere for building materials.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #287 on: February 03, 2012, 02:29:48 pm »

Update:

Took Tweety with me upstairs as prove that she is still alive.

As it is snowing outside there is quite some contrast in the photo.
Tweety seems to like being aboard Well Enhancer again.

"I'm the queen of cuteness, and I know it..."

Apparently Tweety also likes the photo's hanging on the wall.

"Boss, where is the water? I thought ships were supposed to sail in the water..."

Starts to look more and more like the wheelhouse of a workship.

All hands busy, as it should be aboard a workship.

Here the sheer size of this model is displayed very well.

Moored nicely well, though most ships tent to moor with the stern against the dock.

Laying in the harbour gives the opportunity to resupply the lifeboats and ROV's, and to do some maintaince on them.

It seems like another ship is about to moor alongside Well Enhancer.

Big brother is watching you!!

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #288 on: February 04, 2012, 04:35:11 pm »

Update:

First some overall views of yesterday.

Sun has set, so now the lights are better visible.

It does look good to see some working lights.

Well Enhancer at full speed ahead on open sea.

Opened the hole for the spring a little further.
The spring will make the crane arm go up and down.

Added some plastic plates to the dive-area in order to make it look much smoother.

Added another plate.

A preview of how the small crane atop the new platform will be controlled.
The aluminium tube will turn the crane, a bowdencable will turn the crane up and down, 4 wires will serve 2 motors which in turn adjust the angle of the knuckle and the winch.

Added some more plates to the side.

This part is ready to be filled..

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #289 on: February 04, 2012, 08:53:46 pm »

Update:

Platform at the rear deck wasn't standing horizontal, so I added a few plates to the bottom of the legs to make it stand horiznotal.

The other leg.

Dive-area has now been fully plated with plastic plates.

This side was much harder to reach, but I could had turned her around, though a model this size isn't easily turned around...

Some filling and sanding, and then she'll be good to go!

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #290 on: February 05, 2012, 10:11:49 am »

Update:

Continued the work on the dive-area by adding some plates below the removable deck.
The rear part has been adjusted to make room for a wooden plate glued underneath the deck, which was added to keep the deck in shape.

Added the first floor and also the first wall to add some strength.

Here's some proof of the general arrangement not being accurate enough to build an escape hatch, as this hatch is clearly way too high...

Dry fit of the new deck.

Mechanic reports to the captain that no-one will be able to get inside through this escape hatch, as it is a bit too high.
Fortunately it's made left overs...

Now a quiz:
I did something wrong when I added the plastic plates to the dive-area, but what?

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #291 on: February 05, 2012, 12:15:30 pm »

Update:

Did some work on the lifeboats.

Started building the RHIB (rigid hull inflatable boat).

Hole now halfway through.

Also started making the first bearing repeaters which will be added to the panel in the wheelhouse which I made earlier.
The result wasn't what I hoped it to be, but the coin shows how small this thing is.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #292 on: February 05, 2012, 08:39:04 pm »

Update:

Did some more shaping on the lifeboats.

Placed the airconditioning unit, and the bearing repeater will be placed just beside it.

This is where it all will be placed.

As I was working with plastic sheets already I also made some platforms.

Also made the platforms at the other side, and placed the now pretty much shaped RHIB in it's proper position.

I also painted the bearing repeater.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #293 on: February 06, 2012, 09:46:55 am »

Update:

Placed the bearing repeater and added some wiring.
The wires will be painted black, this was the best I have for the job.
Painted these wires black will be one heck of a tiny paint job, but if one wants a highly detailed model, one will need to do this kind of work...

Painted the floor in the wheelhouse at the places where there wasn't enough paint yet.

As the holes for the rear legs weren't positioned straight above each other the rear legs started to take a little angled position.
As adjusting the holes takes way more effort, and this angle doesn't look all that bad (how many masts have their rear legs standing at an angle?) I decided that I would keep the angle, and would drill new holes to allow wiring to be passed into the mast.
The old holes (which are now clearly visible) have now been filled with filler and the new holes have been drilled.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #294 on: February 06, 2012, 02:14:14 pm »

Update:

As the filling and sanding is now about to be done (only some edges need some fine-tuning, and the decks need to fit better, but that can only be done when the electronics are fully operational as I otherwise can't reach there places any more) I'll now get started with the detailing, whilst waiting for the electronics to be made.
Here the bearing repeater has got it's electronics box fitted, and the wiring has been done too, though that came at the cost of some paint (for some weird reason ropes want to be straight rather then being put in all kinds of shapes...), but I'll deal with that soon enough.

As people tend to be lazy nowadays the designer of this ship was asked to draw a few seats in the wheelhouse to enable the helmsman to take a seat while steering the ship.
As I'm trying to get as close to the real ship as possible I decided to make a seat as well.
Here the first parts for the first seat are being glued.
The part in which the hole doesn't go all the way through is to be the part where the helmsman will be seated, the part with the hole going all the way through is the part where (on the real ship) the seat is attached to a rail to enable it to move in front of the instrument panel, whilst disabling it to get everywhere in the wheelhouse.
In total there will be 5 of these seats in the wheelhouse.

I also made the top part of the panel I was working on earlier before.
This will first be painted and detailed before I will add the current panel to it.
The edge of the panels are fitted with a wooden plank, which is darker then the rest of the panel.
This edge is 0,3mm wide, so I wonder if it would be worth the effort to paint this?
Or would it hardly be visible?

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #295 on: February 06, 2012, 04:07:46 pm »

Update:

While waiting for the glue to dry I finished making the hole for the spring, and also prepared the lot for soldering a few new parts to it.
The tube will be used to guide the spring through the hole, though I made turn it around to keep it out of the way for the spring when the arm is in it's highest position.

Put all the stuff in it to give an impression of what it will look like.

Still to be detailed.

Build a new boat, so I wanted to have it properly visible, but as it's placed at the other side of the ship the only way to do that was to put her in the water.

As the ship is now at sea there's no need to wonder around with ropes, so the crewmembers that have the duty to work with the mooring ropes are now indoors reading a book or something, lazy sailors...

Now on to some attachments, and then the crane is ready for duty...

Not quite a small crane.

Painted the main mast.

Nice view over the still pretty empty rear deck.

And the painted mast.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #296 on: February 06, 2012, 08:23:22 pm »

Before I forget about it once more, I want to tell you that I've decided to drop the idea of making parts of the interior.
Only the wheelhouse will still get interior (as that has a way higher emotional value as being my favourite place aboard the ship).
The main reason for this decision is that the helicopter deck brings quite some weight and force onto the superstructure (but not the wheelhouse), requiring a construction that can keep those forces in place.
The 2 cabins which were already under construction will be finished and placed on the boat stand, where they can show in a much easier way how the crew lives aboard modern day ships.

Now on to today's last update:

The designer has kept me in mind when designing the wheelhouse, as he made me a nice couch where I could sit down in my favourite place on the ship.
This is the start of making the couch.

Lowered the escape hatch on the bow, and filled it with glue hoping that could help making the top side level.

I decided to make the pillows by glueing 2 sheets of plastic to each other, which will be shaped later on.

There will be 2 couches for 2 persons each, and in between them there is a table, so who will join for a cup of coffee?...

Couldn't stop working on this beauty, but the result looks pretty good isn't it?

This makes me feel happy, I CAN DO THIS TOO!!!!!
Says a very happy person (I wander what would have caused the happiness??).

Added some more parts to the couch (you all know precisely how I made it...).

Now I need to poor some wood glue in it, and then some paint and then the couch will look like the real thing.

Added the pole to the seat bottom and rail-system.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #297 on: February 08, 2012, 09:46:35 am »

Update:

Shaped the back-support.

Preparations for placing the back-support (what's it's proper English name?).

Added the back-support and the brackets that hold the real back-support in it's place, adding some strength to this fragile part.

Helmsman seated in his too high seat.
I also added 2 levers which are used to adjust the seat (at least the real seat, I like to make as much working as possible, but this is impossible...).

Placed the seat next to the instrument panel where it will be placed in the wheelhouse.
Here you can clearly see that the seat is too high, so next time I'll check this out before assembling the lot as it's now quite a tough job to adjust the height, though it does give me the opportunity to make the seat stand upright.

Greetings Josse

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #298 on: February 08, 2012, 10:31:17 am »

Preparations for placing the back-support (what's it's proper English name?).
Seat back, but back-support describes it better.
It is nice to see a warts and all build record - it does show beginners (and everybody else) not only a way to do it right, but what happens with minor slips on the way, and that these minor slips are not the end of the project.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #299 on: February 08, 2012, 02:21:41 pm »

Thanks for the compliment.

Update:

Pored glue in the couch and escape hatch.

Attached the tube that will guide the spring.

Spring put into the tube, ready for assembling the other parts.

In order to make the cylinder slide in and out I attached the outer tube to the guide-bar that guides the rope, and will in time act a first part of a reduction system for the rope to give the servo it's needed strength.

Lay-out of the inside of the crane house, without the winch.

The attachment bracket's have been trying to break free several times, so now I made a new 1 out of 1 piece so it would have much more soldering surface, making a stronger joint.

Attachment that will come atop of the crane house under construction.

Attached the bracket.

Folding the plate made it hard to properly solder the parts together.

Angle is too low now, but I will add a support that will make sure that the spring gets high enough to increase the highest angle.

An impression of what it will look like.
Now the crane is getting close to being operational!

Greetings Josse
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13   Go Up

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 22 queries.