Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13]   Go Down

Author Topic: Diving supportvessel Well Enhancer 1:75  (Read 105578 times)

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
  • Very passionate about ships
Re: Diving supportvessel Well Enhancer 1:75
« Reply #300 on: February 08, 2012, 04:48:47 pm »

Update:

Another part ready to be placed.

This part was pretty hard to make.

After quite some frustration I finally managed to get the crane arm attached to the crane house.

Shortened the tube a little, though still not enough.

Helmsman is finally sitting in his chair, so full speed ahead both engines!
Oh wait, there are some rocks dead ahead...

Checking if the ship is still on course, or would he be enjoying the view?...

Invited myself...

HELP, WE'RE ABOUT TO BE RAMMED!!!!!

Still some people looking after the escape hatch.

If the ship's hardly sailing there's some time to do some maintaince on the lifesaving equipment, just so you can do some work...
Oh wait, I'm trying to show that sailors aren't lazy aboard ships like this...

Someone worrying about the air pressure in the hyperbaric lifeboat.

The reason for hiding next to a bunch of rocks: the crane appears to be at the point of falling...

Why is no-one wearing a safety helmet?

Using hand-signatures to pass the message about the status, everything is fine, just...

Overall view over the large rear deck.

Greetings Josse
Under construction: diving support vessel Well Enhancer scale 1:75, a very big and very ambitious project that keeps on going and going till I finally solve all ambitious things about it and have it working.
A day without learning is a lost day

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #301 on: February 14, 2012, 04:10:35 pm »

Update:

Shortened the leg of the chair.

As I have the intention to make the helodeck available for landing helicopters the deck and underlying structures need to be able to cope with the forces of a harsh landing of a helo.
As the superstructure is made of thin plastic sheet it simply wouldn't be able to cope with such forces, so I decided to add some brass stiffeners, that will need to guide the forces into the stronger plywood which is still strengthening the lowest deck of the superstructure.
I will also add a transverse girder, but first I'll need to finish the cabins with their lighting, and at least make preparations for the electronics that will be placed inside the superstructure.

The brass bar is only attached in a few places, but those are the critical places, the forces need to stay away from the plastic sheet.
Besides, the bar is positioned directly underneath the legs of the helopad.

The deck at the side of the dive-area didn't fit properly, so I shortened the deck to make it stop before the hull plating, and increased the height of the sheerstrake.
When the detailing below this deck is finished I will cut the deck loose at the sides of the walls, and attach it to the hull permanently.
The detailing is not expected to get damaged as it's fully protected by the decks, walls and outer hull.

Added another wall.

This part of the hull turned out to have bended inwards, so while adding the brass bar I used the opportunity to make it straight.

Now on to the painting, and then the next deck can be build.

Now it all fits a lot better.

Painted some of the crew and some furniture.

Painted this 1 as well.

Greetings Josse
Under construction: diving support vessel Well Enhancer scale 1:75, a very big and very ambitious project that keeps on going and going till I finally solve all ambitious things about it and have it working.

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #302 on: February 25, 2012, 03:41:21 pm »

Update:

Here's the answer to my quiz, here the walls were too high.

Continued working on the not yet smooth parts of the ship.

As a preparation for the Arduino system which is under development I decided I could add some wiring which will make it possible for the Arduino's to communicate with each other.

This will be the place for the main command centre, which will handle all communications.

Not finished with this yet, but I'll get there.

It was pretty much time to try to solve the problem of the weak bulwark, which also didn't really have the right shape.

This side was a bit easier.
When I build the Seven Atlantic I will surely not build the bulwark on top of a finished hull, but build the bulwark as part of the hull, as this keeps giving me trouble.

Sanded the rear deck.
I tried to make the screws level with the wood, but all my effort seemed to have not worked at all.
The bright side is that there will be a platform above it, so that platform could cover the flaw, especially when I place some containers beside it.
On the other hand, I might have removed so much wood that some filler could do the job.

While inspecting the hull I discovered some damage here, so I grasped some filler and tried to repair the damage.

The turntable was placed to high due to the position of the turning engine, so I drilled a hole underneath it to make it fit lower then it did.

Took some parts away to make sure it would get low enough.

That's better.
Now I only need to add the height at the top which I took away at the bottom.

Took Tweety with me outside so she could oversee what I was doing.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #303 on: March 04, 2012, 01:37:01 pm »

Update:

As the LEGO base was too wide, and might not be able to deal with the forces of the crane with it's way out of centre centre-of-gravity, trying to lift something as heavy as possible I decided it was time to make a new base which will be able to withstand these kind of forces.
Here I'm trying to find out if my new idea could even work.
I'm thinking of mounting the servo in a silicon "bath" to make it able to be pushed into the silicon when the load on the gearwheel becomes to high for the servo.

What do you guys think about making a silicon "bath" in which the servo can move when being overloaded?
I'm not entirely sure if it will work out the way I want to.
It would only be a back-up to the limitations which will be incorporated in the software, which will know the status of the crane through 2 sensors measuring the angle they're in.

In an effort to make the gearwheel fit as well as possible atop of the servo disc I started to make a plate to fill the gap created by the edge around the screw holding the servo disc in place.

Scratch build a machine (what's the name of this kind of machine?) to make the plate perfectly round.

Turn on the Dremel, and then hold the sanding paper gently against the plate to adjust it's shape.
I held the ends of the sanding paper in my hands to eliminate my own inaccuracy and movement to allow for a more perfect circle.
After all it remains an improvised machine...

I never managed to make something this perfectly round, and especially not with this little effort, except for the parts I bought in stores...

All parts ready for assembly.

As the holes on the gearwheel are much larger then those on the servo-disc I started to make something to fill the additional space, as the gearwheel shouldn't be able to move off the centreline.

Greetings Josse

More Coffee

Re: Diving support vessel Well Enhancer 1:75
« Reply #304 on: March 06, 2012, 02:42:43 am »

Josse.
The bow section that keeps cracking..Why not put a cap rail on top or inside that bulwark.. It well stiffen it up a little hopefully stop it from cracking..I had to do that on my little trawler just for that reason..I added that bulwark after the hull..

All in all my man you have a fine project there and it keeps getting better,I admire your determination. :-))

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #305 on: March 06, 2012, 09:56:20 am »

Hi Coffee,

Thanks for the advice.

The cap rail still has to be fitted, but I would like to have a firm bulwark even without the cap rail.
With a model this size it's hard not to hit any wall, car-seat, doors and many more things.
Even when closing the cars rear door the bulwark can get hit.
As I'd prefer not to need to fix the bulwark after every single time sailing with her I want to have it strengthened more then just adding the cap rail.
For a smaller model it surely would do the job.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #306 on: March 11, 2012, 03:44:55 pm »

Got both some good and some bad news.
The good news is I went out to sail with Well Enhancer, and despite the high waves (scale 8-9 Beaufort) the stern remained completely dry this time.
Than the bad news, I found a crack in the bow just below the waterline.
I found this crack after some 15-20 minutes of sailing, and there did get water inside, which hasn't happened in similar situations before.
I'm hoping to get this fixed before 30 April, as I'm then taking her with me to the model boating club for queens day.

Has anyone some advice how I could permanently fix this crack?
I'm hoping there'll be some way which doesn't require fibre glassing or anything like that big a job...
Could epoxy glue do the job?

Enough talking, now some photo's:

Moored and waiting for ballast.

Ballast placed, moored for some photographing with the bulwark still in 1 piece...

Found a beach not far from the car, which was nicely covered from the wind, making it easier to get going.
In the rear of this photo the higher waves on the open part of the water are visible.

It took me a while to get going properly (one needs to be gentle with the rudder when using azimuths in weather like this), but as soon as I found out how to work a way through it I got her sailing against the wind for some time.
With the wind in the side of the model gave a somewhat scary sight, which will be shown in some photo's further down this post.

Ballast was really properly spread out, it's the waves and the wind causing her get some list...

Nicely high waves, this is one of the reasons why I like these kind of ships.
The engines didn't like it as much as I did, I noticed they refused to go to full power from time to time.
This makes me consider adding temperature gauges and Amp meters so I can see when they're getting hot.
It also makes me consider to use Speed 700 Toque engines on Seven Atlantic rather then the less powerful Speed 500 E's of Well Enhancer, though Seven Atlantics 5-bladed brass props might give more power already, and Seven Atlantic has 3 azimuths under the stern compared to just 2 in Well Enhancer.

When sailing takes as much attention as did today, taking proper photo's using a DSLR isn't quite easy.
As a result of that this shot is out of focus...

This is how I managed to get some proper photo's whilst controlling the model (well, at least sort of controlling...).

The damage to the bow.
I think this crack is about 5cm long.

When something like this gets stuck around a prop the performance won't be what one would expect it to be...

Greetings Josse

Welsh Wizard

« Reply #307 on: March 11, 2012, 05:09:21 pm »

reinforce the inside of the hull with Grp it is the BEST way to do it

Dave

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #308 on: March 11, 2012, 06:31:55 pm »

Hello Welsh Wizard,

Thanks for the advice.
The name GRP doesn't sound familiar to me, could you explain it to me, or send a link where I could buy it?

Greetings Josse

Welsh Wizard

« Reply #309 on: March 11, 2012, 06:58:54 pm »

Grp is short for fiberglassing Josse

Dave

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #310 on: March 11, 2012, 07:16:11 pm »

Hello Dave,

Thanks for the advice.

I did fibre glass the hull before I painted the hull, so I thought it would do the job.
It could be that on this part the fibre glass has been sanded away in the numerous times of sanding.
Fibre glassing unfortunately is not an option on a short period of time (before queens day), as I don't have the materials and also no funds to buy it, so I guess I'll need to fix it temporally, and fix it permanently this summer or winter.
It actually might not be all that bad an idea as I added more wood on top of the fibre glass and though that doesn't make any leaks when cracking, there are parts that have actually cracked as well.
Fibre glassing would also make that look better too.

Greetings Josse

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #311 on: March 12, 2012, 10:51:35 am »

GPR = Glass Reinforced Plastic
To prevent cracks in a wood structure, it will need at least some GRP tissue as well as the resin.
For a quick and nasty fix, I would either run some cyano acrylic into the crack, or run some PVA into the crack, then follow that with a shot of cyano.  This causes the PVA that has entered the crack by capillary action to set suddenly.  Very suddenly.  Best done outdoors, with you upwind of the workpiece.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #312 on: March 12, 2012, 11:22:06 am »

Hi Malcolm,

Thanks for the advice.

Where can I get that Cyano acrylic?
And what does it look like?
I don't think I know the stuff.

Greetings Josse

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #313 on: March 12, 2012, 08:34:35 pm »

Where can I get that Cyano acrylic?
And what does it look like?
I don't think I know the stuff.

Greetings Josse

Hi Josse,

It's also known as   SuperGlue

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

More Coffee

« Reply #314 on: March 13, 2012, 03:00:29 am »

Your Ship looks great on the water Josse.

Good luck on the repair..

In a pinch ,if you have any sort of epoxy or resin ..with some tissue paper or ..Geeez man lingerie would do ..

Stick it aroud that crack at the water line and let it harden ..

In a real pinch ..if theres any scrap yards around there that well let you go through the vehicles ,,look for the deployed air bags and grab a couple ..Just look them over for blood before hand ..

Stavros

« Reply #315 on: January 21, 2013, 09:59:37 pm »

Come on Tweety rejoin ht eforum we ALL miss your updates

Dave

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #316 on: February 28, 2013, 08:31:25 pm »

Sorry you are not feeling well today Stavros, I have some medicine I will share with though. Mick B.
Mick B.

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #317 on: February 28, 2013, 08:40:49 pm »

Hi
He has been keeping the thread going on RC Group forum

John

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #318 on: February 28, 2013, 09:33:37 pm »

Maybe he just had trouble uploading photos here?

Dave

Stavros

« Reply #319 on: February 28, 2013, 10:21:09 pm »

Sorry you are not feeling well today Stavros, I have some medicine I will share with though. Mick B.

Ill have whatever you are on  O0 {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

Dave

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #320 on: February 28, 2013, 11:00:59 pm »

On second thought if I shared you would be in a worse state than me & that would be pretty bad LOL.Mick B.
Mick B.

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #321 on: January 14, 2014, 10:39:05 am »

Hey guys,

Due to some problems with the forum I lost my account and didn't bother fixing this until today when I realized that there is a large treasure of motivating build threads here full of posts from which I can learn a lot.
I started all over and have just made a new topic this morning in the Working Vessels section, apparently I missed this thread while searching for it, didn't expect it to be this high up.
The new start means that is shown in this topic is now doomed to be demolished by some small children.

Greetings Josse

vnkiwi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #322 on: January 14, 2014, 11:08:07 am »

Good to have you back again.
You where missed
cheers
vnkiwi

:-))
If it ain't broke. Don't fix it !
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13]   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 23 queries.