Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ACRYLIC PAINTS  (Read 2977 times)

Roger in France

ACRYLIC PAINTS
« on: October 05, 2006, 07:54:20 am »

I accompanied my wife to our local artists supply shop yesterday. While she drooled over all the goodies on offer,( much as I do in a model shop!) I had a look at the range of acrylic paints for sale. Some were marked "Permenant", others were not.

As they were cheap, by reputable makers, high quality and larger volume than model paints come in I was wondering if they could be used on boats. I asked the shop owner but he had no definite knowledge but thought they would be OK especially if varnished over (which I always do in any case).

There was a vast range of colours and, also a limited range of "high density" paints.

Any views or experience?

Roger in France.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: ACRYLIC PAINTS
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 08:21:04 am »

Yes, I wondered about those too. I noticed that Squires do a large selection when I was wandering around thier Aladdin's cave the other day (I always come out much poorer than when I went in). I also noted that there are a number of different types of varnish so you may need to be a bit careful here too.

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 09:03:09 am »

I have been using those types of paints for three years, not had a problem, although they do not cover well need at least two coats, clear gloss/semi/flat over the top and the jobs done...

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

CAD2

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 09:11:56 am »

Roger
I used to have several bottles of Tamiya Acrylic paint which were water-based i.e. you thinned them down and cleaned your brush with water. This paint was well old (20 years plus) so may not be the same as the current Tamiya formula. Latterly we all have begun to use Halfords Acrylic Aerosol car paints, which are solvent-based. If you don't believe me then spray a short burst and sniff! You certainly couldn't clean this stuff up with plain water, so I guess that it's the pigment which is the acrylic bit. Logic says that the solvent-based product will be impervious to water whereas the water-based ones probably aren't - hence "permanent" and "non-permanent" (like felt marker pens).
Now we will no longer be able to source Humbrol enamels we'll have to try out alternatives, and your "permanent" acrylics sound promising. Any brands for us to try?
CAD2

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 12:38:38 pm »

Hi All

I have used Liquitex Concentrated Artist Colour (Acrylic) on several boats. I have not had a problem with water solvency once dry nor have I had problems of compatiblity with Halfords aerosol paint.

I have found that it goes on best with a damp brush. I haven't tried to spray it.

Cheers

Doug
Don't Assume Check

CAD2

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006, 04:34:02 pm »

Doug
Have you tried this paint on either GRP or Plasticard?  How well does it stick? What primer have you used? Where do you buy yours from?
CAD2

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2006, 04:54:17 pm »

CAD2

I have recently used it to paint a GRP freighter hull (below the water line) with Red Oxide (colour) on top of Halfords Grey primer with no problem.

I bought mine from a local Artist/Office supply shop called Colemans (a small chain I think). It comes in 59ml plastic bottles for about £3.50 ish. Unfortunately, the colour sheet has gone walkies but I think they have quite a range.

I just found they have a website www.liquitex.com I used the Medium viscosity paint.

I have also used Revell acrylic on plasticard and found it sticks well but really needs at least two coats to look OK.

Cheers

Doug

Don't Assume Check

Roger in France

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2006, 07:03:06 pm »

Liquitex was one of the paints I was looking at but here were others by Rowney and Windsor & Newton. Prices were around 3.50€ for a 25cc pack. However, there may be other brands and different colour ranges here in France.

I will do some experiments and report back.....when I get the time. I will also try them in my airbrush.

Roger in France.

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2006, 08:22:18 pm »

Quote from RogerinFrance:

"...Rowney and Windsor & Newton..."

These are available, believe it or not, in my local garden centre (has a substantial arts and crafts section as well as a nice Cafe) but I haven't tried them.

Doug

Don't Assume Check
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 22 queries.