Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sailing Trawler  (Read 3155 times)

Billmaca

• Shipmate
Sailing Trawler
« on: April 11, 2009, 04:19:29 pm »

Model made from the Billings kit, with all the plastic bits etc being discardid, with the deck arrangement  taken from photos and drawing from old sail fishermen books, Billings advertises the boat as( 'FD10 YAWL' sail fisherman) built in Denmark, I am inclined to think she's an ex ketch rigged English boat   or smack as the old boys called them.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Sailing Trawler
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 05:01:29 pm »

Very nice.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Greggy1964

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 03:07:31 pm »

I think this lovely model one of the many sailing trawlers built in UK yards in the 1900's.

The information from Billings states that she was built by a Danish ship yard in 1930.

I think this is incorrect, her deck layout right down to the position of the steam capstan to the rear and to port of the mainmast, the main hatch and fish hatch, the companion way and skylight just forward of the mizzen mast and lastly 'Charlie Noble' the name given to the smoke stack of the range used to keep the cabin and sleeping quarters warm are identical in position to those of Master Hand.

Her round counter stern construction is again typical of Brixham built boats with the radial horn timbers and semi circular transit rail and taffrail (the name given to the semi circular capping over the stern timbers and formed a continuation bulwark cap rail)

Master Hand is my current building project and was built at built at the Rock Channel Shipyard at Rye in 1920.

FD10 means Billmaca's boat was registered for fishing from Fleetwood here in the UK

With the advent of steam trawlers, sailing trawlers became obsolete in this country almost overnight and sail driven boats less than 5 years old were abandonbed to rot or broken up.

Some of the lucky ones were sold to the Faroe Islands, to the Dutch and Norway fishing fleets for giveaway prices and recommissioned. These boats were still sailing and fishing up until the 1950's.

I believe this to be one such ship, below is a photo of FD51 Ida 32 tons built at Brixham for Fleetwood owners in 1869, note the forward raking main mast and vertical mizzen mast typical of Brixham built boats and compare this with Billmaca's lovely model.

Greggy1964

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 12:40:13 pm »

On further inspection, I notice FD10 has the dandy winch on the port quarter just inside the mizzen shrouds.

This was typical of the smaller trawlers known as 'Mules', this winch was used in hauling up the heavy trawl beam net and iron trawl head up onto the counter via the dandy score on the port taffrail for stowage while sailing to and from the fishing grounds just as Billmaca's model shows it.

This is still further evidence that FD10 was built at one of the yards at Brixham.

All of the above information on these lovely ships can be found in Edgar J Marches excellent book on the subject in 'Sailing Trawlers - The Story Of Fishing With Long Line And Trawl'
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 22 queries.