Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spirit of Australia  (Read 4702 times)

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
Spirit of Australia
« on: April 12, 2009, 03:28:33 am »

I am looking for any info on this boat. It was a 314mph record holder. It is in the museum in Sydney. I want to build a model of it useing a duckted Elect fan unit.
I do have photos which will post very soon.
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

nhp651

Re: Spirit of Australia
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 09:50:41 am »

I saw her make her world water speed record on Blowering dam in 1978(?) with Ken Warby at the helm.

It was awesome.

A few years later either Model Boats or Marine Modelling ( can't remember which) carried an article about her and a few other wws boats, and I think that there were basic plans for her, produced with the article.

Can't remember what year it was but it was between 1984 and 1989 ( that was when I was teaching my kids model boat building at a school I was at and we started a project on it.

andyn

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 06:20:25 pm »

http://www.solarnavigator.net/spirit_of_australia.htm

Bear in mind it will have to be big to stand up to even the smallest wave, as it's very long and thin, it will not turn at all, and would probably spin if you put too much turn in. Also bear in mind that unless you spend a lot of money on a Schubeler duckky fans are rubbish. We had one at the lake once, the bloke who made it soon ditched the fan and put in a 540 motor with a prop instead.

Safe trip home :-)

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 07:59:46 am »

Here is a few pics of her in the museum in Sydney
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

Leovilla

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 08:47:55 pm »

My fully working model of this boat is featured on the ASTEC gallery. Powered by a powerfull brushless motor on 14 cells it does 45 mph plus.
I am the author of the article published in Marine Modeliing Magazine about 4 years ago. Spitir, Bluebird K7  and Slo Mo Shun were featured on the front cover.

The boat was on display at the recent northern model show.  I finished it as it was on the day she broke the world record.  The photos of the boat in the museum show it with later declas.   I got some feedback from Ken Warby about the model/article and he was impressed. The article encompassed all the world water speed record breakers.

BTW Electric ducted fans dont work in models of this type, tried them all.

I may make a bigger version of spirit with my gas turbine engine in it.

Ernie Lazenby

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 09:21:31 pm »

Thank very much for the info. I will have to see if I can get a copy of the Mag.

model boat martin

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 09:31:30 am »

Hi

I am building a 1/6th Bluebird K7.  I wanted an EDF and looked at the Schubler 120mm EDF and with expensive motor and lots of cells it looked like we would achive about 17.5 pounds thrust which was a 1:1 power weight ratio and we thought 1.5:1 would be required.  I am putting in two marine prop drives contra rotating so I know it will go OK.  Another factor is getting the air intakes to be big enough.  I have recently come across a fan from the USA at 140 diameter which is claimed to have a trust of 28 pounds and deliver 10KW.  Good luck and please keep me posted.

Martin

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 02:33:00 pm »

Ok . some time has pasted since I started to think about building the Sprit. I am now seaking some plans if there is any to be found which i can use as a starting point. Has any one out there got any they want to let me have a copy of???????
From what i make out there was /is 2 boats. I would be very happy with either plans. 
Ta very much.

andyn

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 02:52:49 pm »

Ernie Lazenby's model. How he managed to get it in my back garden without me knowing is beyond me....

marker

• Shipmate
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2009, 09:23:55 am »

Is this drawing of use?
Mark

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2009, 11:56:37 am »

Is this drawing of use?
Mark

THANK YOU. just the jobby.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 21 queries.