Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Brushless motor batteries  (Read 1588 times)

Inkmark

Brushless motor batteries
« on: April 12, 2009, 11:40:10 am »

Hi all
I am thinking about giving one of these new brushless motors a try but 'accepted wisdom' seems to be a LiPo battery is essential.
Always trying to keep expenses down, is it possible to run a brushless motor on a NiMh pack?
I have a couple of 3700mAh race packs that supposed to give 35A output, so as long as I stay below that discharge rate it should be OK,
or is there some modern magic at work?
Advice would be appreciated, thanks.
Mark

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: Brushless motor batteries
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 12:04:26 pm »

In a word YES.
You can run the brushless motor off your battery packs.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 12:41:03 pm »

Nick,

I think you have collected the received wisdom of the flying community - for whom LiPos are pretty much the only way to go because of their capacity at a low weight.

All LiPos have a performance detail which is essentially the max current they can safely be discharged at - written as 10C or X15 or something like that.  if you have a 1000mah Lipo then the maximum current you can take out of it (say is is a 10C type) is 10 Amps.
So altho they are getting better - 30C are available - LiPos really do not like high discharges and do not last very many cycles if they are used hard.

So in many ways Nicad or Nimh packs are more suitable, if you can stand the weight!
Please do give a brushless a try- - having read an excellent primer found at
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=13538.0

andrew
And please tell us about it with pics!

nick_75au

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 08:50:22 am »

Brushless run fine on Gel cells as well, the only thing is setting the low voltage cutout on most brushless escs. Some wont let you turn it off or allow a low enough level.
Springer on 2, 6 volt 4,5 Ah Gel cells goes for about 2 -3 hours at full throttle.
Nick
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.