Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: tamiya 1/350 rc fleet pics  (Read 19003 times)

Abuelo3

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: tamiya 1/350 rc fleet pics
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2006, 09:22:22 pm »

Hello to every one.
The PT 15 from Tamiya is 1/72, as I can see it in my own box and instructions.
Best Regards

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2006, 07:35:25 pm »

Yeah i checked the instructions this morning, and it is 1/72

Grant

maninthestreet

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2006, 07:51:57 pm »

Did I see these at Beale Park today, or where they someone else's models?

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2006, 08:00:22 pm »

Nope not us.  :)

which ones were at beale park

Pointy

« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2006, 09:45:46 pm »

Wonderful work, have you seen the 1/350 Hood by Trumpeter?

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2006, 03:02:59 pm »

Havent seen the kit itself but thought about doing one to go with the bismark

Grant

maninthestreet

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2006, 04:11:34 pm »

Nope not us.  :)

which ones were at beale park

Bismarck was there, plus a few other WW2 battleships, but I couldn't name them. I forgot to take my camera, perhaps someone else was there with a camera (Martin?), who can post some photos.

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2006, 04:15:53 pm »

Yeah pics would be good

Grant :) :)

maninthestreet

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2006, 10:58:08 am »

There was also a Tamiya Enterprise there as well, on the same stand/ in the same gazebo.

Did anyone get any pics ???

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2006, 12:49:27 pm »

Grant,

It looks like at the moment the gearbox will be going in a New Jersey, only problem it is not a Tamiya, some other strange brand....

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2006, 02:36:32 pm »

Grant,

It looks like at the moment the gearbox will be going in a New Jersey, only problem it is not a Tamiya, some other strange brand....

Roy

I got one of those. Its either the New Jersey, Bismark or Tirpitz.

Have a feeling Nelson and Prince of Wales were single screw.

Have still got the paperwork somewhere ,will look it out.   

Richard   8) 8) 8)
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2006, 04:02:42 pm »

Roy is the Jersey WW2 spec or Gulf war spec ???

Gulf war spec (my brothers tamiya) does look cool with the seahawk helicopter on the back and looks good sailin round with the enterprise.

Grant  :)

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2006, 04:09:17 pm »

Oh and be warned, i didnt mention it before, the boat has one rudder but because the gearbox  and the mould only lets you run 2 props instead of the 4 it should have. This means that there is no thrust directly on the rudder, the props kinda point away from it So it has a pretty big turning circle in an ideal world i suppose having the 2 inner props and/or 2 rudders aswell would help this.

Hope this doesnt put you off

Sorry i didnt mention it earlier  :(

Grant

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2006, 12:12:26 am »

Thanks Grant I wll have a better look and see what I can come up with, will let you know....

Roy

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2006, 04:02:33 am »

Roy you should consider using a photoetched set for it aswell, it makes the model look so much better than with the basic kit parts.

we only used P/E on the Jersey and Enterprise, and I regret not using it on the others  :'(

Once you see how good it looks with P/E you wont use kit parts again if you can help it afterall who wants solid plastic radars etc

Can give you model numbers if you want them

I can put on a comparison photo aswell

Grant :)

PS.can also get P/E figures in this scale i used them on my enterprise they're so small you wouldnt think you'd notice them but they really help to set it off.

kikkari

« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2006, 08:19:26 pm »

Where do you go to get your PE stuff from? The t'internet somewhere or is there a real shop in the UK that stocks this kind of stuff?

Not sure if this link will work for anybody else, but here's a translated version of a Yamato build with lots of PE: Yamato + PE build - wow! 

There is quite a bit about the Mikasa with PE on that site which is my personal goal.

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2006, 05:04:08 am »

Grant,

That would be good mate, need all the help and advice I can get....

Roy

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2006, 09:43:31 am »

HI guys im a bit busy today but ill try to get pics on here as soon as possible.

Ill also dig out the part numbers and post them

But we use two sources, we have a fairly local Hannants who ordered most of it for me, or there is White ensign models which is probably the best bet (theyre somewhere in this country) but i think theyre just mail order cant remember their website ill find out but i have their product list and if you want something they probably have it (for kit boats that is) Ill give you their phone number aswell (though quite expensive from down under  :D )

I have to use an internet cafe so when i get home and get a chance (cutting out holes on my brothers sub at the moment) ill take pics find the info and post it on here

Grant

PS. That yamato..... WOW now you see why i wish id used PE on mine Its the little things that make a big difference. Still, live and learn as they say

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2006, 10:23:53 am »

Oh by the way the best thing we've found to ballast these is self adhesive lead strips (you can see them in the pics) you can cut the strips to what you want and place them exactly where you want and move them around if it turns out to be wrong unlike the lead shot that some people use that you to glue in the strips are alot less hassle.

kikkari

« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2006, 12:53:12 pm »

Thanks Grant,

I've got to admit I'm a little intimidated by the PE, I'm not exactly ham fisted or without a certain amount of patience, it just screams difficult to me!

Your models look superb, I don't think there is any real need to improve on the great job Tamiya have done especially for a working RC boat that sails around some distance away.  However I am very attracted to the detail that PE can give, I don't feel I have the skill to do a scratch build to the standard that I want and I don't currently have the time to learn, but I think I could just about pull off a build of a good kit with a few etched additions that would be of a level that I would be very happy with.

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2006, 03:53:14 pm »

I Know what you mean i was daunted by it the first time (enterprise) but just went for it instead of thinking about it. And im glad i did.

Its not that difficult, it just takes a little bit more time. Also one big advantage i found was that it doesnt break. For example: (true story)

A box fell on top of my enterprise whilst i had it on my bedroom floor the mast and its platforms and railings round the island were all in pieces, but if the platforms were plastic they would have bent and snapped (irretrievable) but the brass can just be bent back to shape and after a couple of days was as new.

And though you may not see much of it on the water, when people are admiring it out of the water it makes all the difference.

And well im just really fussy about aesthetics. Everything has to look as good as it can.

Grant

anyway will get pics, details on here 2morrow

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2006, 10:14:14 am »

Ok, Roy a possible problem with the PE never thought of it before 'cos it wasnt relevant to me but the PE sets they do are designed for the Tamiya kit which means that they will be for the modern version and not WW2. Though you should be able to still use some of it

However in case yours turns out to be the modern version ill put them on here. And Kikkari they do one for the Mikasa on the list i have it says "coming soon" but this is dated april 8th 2006 so it should be out by now. ANYWAY

Order from these guys theyre your best bet.

White Ensign models (based in Ludlow, Shropshire)

www.whiteensignmodels.com

Tel: 0870 220 1888   E-mail: wem@onetel.com

i used:

Gold Medal Models:

350-1 (modern USS New Jersey)

350-8 (Naval Figures)

However White ensign do their own (i havent used them though, may be better) and only they do the mikasa

PE 3535 ("Ultimate" USS New Jersey) for tamiya, 2 sheets

PE 3586 (Mikasa, for Hasegawa Kit)

Hope thats ok, got some pics just to get an idea of what you get, railings,ladders etc. and a comparison of kit and PE radar (sorry one is a bit washed out... Bad light this morning)

Grant

kikkari

« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2006, 12:18:17 pm »

Cheers, I'll get my wallet out...

I hadn't realised that you had done that much with the PE, I'm now even more impressed than I was... 8)

The radar comparison picture is excellent, very compelling to see the difference.   Having seen the PE version I'm afraid I couldn't put up with the kit one anymore... there you've turned me into a PE snob.

Have you developed any techniques for getting the folding accurate, I gather there are special tools for this?

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2006, 02:45:47 pm »

Thanks for that Grant they do look a hell of a lot better, I will try to source them here first, as I don't want to take out a loan to pay the postage from there to here... :o :o

Roy

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2006, 10:06:56 am »

Hi, those pics only touch the surface id have to spend ages loading pics to show it all in great detail! But at least you see what I mean. I dont use any special tools, just tweezers a craft knife and super glue. The brass bends real easy, so for example with the railings i cut off a length that looks long enough, measure it up to where im putting it, trim it if need be, and bend with tweezers where they go round corners, and before i fix them i just do a final check to make sure everything lines up.

If you look at the pictures again the railings are essentially just a line of rectangles so when i line them up i count how many rectangles there are from the first edge to the first corner and bend it at that point then from that corner to the next and so on.

(Thats the simplest way of explaining it)

Oh and I hope you can get hold of them alright over there Roy, you should be able to

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 21 queries.