Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RN colours?  (Read 3184 times)

fooman2008

RN colours?
« on: April 14, 2009, 03:01:51 pm »

As most know I am a yank and a (US) Navy Vet.  I have looked at several of the threads and pics of the various ships, most notably the type 42 being built.  My question is this; I have seen a lot of full scale RN paint (back to back NATO cruises in the 80's) and I do not recall that RN hull paint is that green (thought it was more blue) maybe my monitor is off a little.
Foo

Tom@Crewe

• Full Mayhemer
Re: RN colours?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 03:30:24 pm »

which ship / photo are you looking at??

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 06:32:52 pm »

hi there

if you are referring to the type 42 which I am currently busy with - the colours are:

hull began by being sprayed with a plasticoat grey primer;

the hull bottom is painted hull red (humbrol - obsolete colour now - 177 hull red)

the deck (although not painted properly yet) - has had one coat of M02 - Royal Navy deck grey from White Ensign Models

the superstructure was originally painted with MO1 - Modern Royal Navy light grey from White Ensign Models and what I found with this one was - when I overcoated it with satin clear varnish there wasnt much difference in colour shade between Humbrol 127 and this particular White Ensign make paint MO1.   So, what I have opted to do is finish the superstructure painting with Humbrol 127.

YO

Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 03:07:54 am »

As most know I am a yank and a (US) Navy Vet.  I have looked at several of the threads and pics of the various ships, most notably the type 42 being built.  My question is this; I have seen a lot of full scale RN paint (back to back NATO cruises in the 80's) and I do not recall that RN hull paint is that green (thought it was more blue) maybe my monitor is off a little.
Foo

There are many things that can effect the appearance of colour.

As you pointed out, your monitor.
Also the type of film used in the camera that took the shot.
The time of day, latitude and season will affect the lighting of the subject. For example at sundown there will be more red in the natural light.
Direct sun verses cloudy day.
If the photographer used any polarising or other filters on the camera lens. I assume that no UV filter would make images a bit bluer.
etc.
etc.
etc.

If you go with the recomended colours given above you cannot go far wrong.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.