Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: total noob to making a ballast tank for sub....  (Read 1925 times)

the raven

total noob to making a ballast tank for sub....
« on: April 21, 2009, 05:18:32 pm »

hi all
great site!!
right i want to make a ballast tank which can hold and expell water,
my queries are.....
1, i have a 12v compressor will it need to have air feeding it ? as i want the sub to free flood....
2, i want to make it from 31/2 in tube, but need diagrams or any pics on what i need to get, valves etc etc and how to actaully put it together
3, i only need a very basic tube setup just to dive and surface.....

any info would be great or any tank builders on here which could make them for a price would be great!!
i will try and post pics of the sub (when i no how to)

many thx
the raven

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
Re: total noob to making a ballast tank for sub....
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 05:39:12 pm »

Normally stored compressed air is used to blow ballast from the ballast tank. The compressor is used to replenish the stored compressed air, either by taking it from the outside air when surfaced or recompressing the air used to blow the ballast tank. If it the latter simpler design your after, its best to place a rubber bladder in the ballst tank, into which you release the stored air to blow ballast. This way you dont loose any air into the external environment and no risk of introducing water into the system. This is often described recently as Reverse RCABS but has been in use for quite a while in subs now.

the raven

Re: total noob to making a ballast tank for sub....
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 07:25:11 am »

hi mankster
still reading up on it lol {-)
raven
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 22 queries.