Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Noob! Stitch and Glue Scale Down..May Add Power...  (Read 2623 times)

Bowmovement

Noob! Stitch and Glue Scale Down..May Add Power...
« on: April 15, 2009, 09:25:09 am »

Hello All,
I am in need of a little advise and this seems like a great community. :-)) I have a set of plans to build an 18' boat but am not able to do it at this time. The project has been put on hold for a few months.  >>:-( While I am waiting I had a great idea to scale down the plans and build a model of the boat to keep me busy while I wait to start the big project. O0 I am going to scale down to 1:4 which would make it 4'6" model. :-))And of course after I came up with that idea what better way to make it better than to add some power :}.

Now for the n00b part. The building of the model I don't think will be a problem, I hope %). The plans are very detailed and the website they were ordered from has an excellent community for boat building (not models). Here is the website and the boat that I have plans for. http://www.bateau.com/proddetail.php?prod=OD18

How can I power this thing? {:-{ The electronics I think I am OK with, not a 100% sure on everything but I am an electronics technician by day. Its more the engine. I was hoping to slap an outboard on there and call it good, but I can only find one and I don't know that it will be strong enough to push a 4.5' boat. All advise on this problem is needed. I don't mind going with an inboard but am not sure of the differences in size and power. I do not want an electric unless I am convinced otherwise. This will also be used in saltwater in protected areas i.e. harbors and bays.

I welcome all advise and criticism :-)) in advance!!

Thank you,
Matt

Bowmovement

Re: Noob! Stitch and Glue Scale Down..May Add Power...
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 09:19:47 pm »

Any help?

andyn

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 09:32:11 pm »

IC or electric power? Large IC outboards are reasonably easy to come about, but there a limited amount of places left in the country where you can run them. Electric outboards are very expensive, and if you wanted one for that size you would have to make it yourself.

You could of course have an inboard motor, running a flexible shaft down to a dummy outboard.

Best advise I can give is to make it very light, out of thin ply, then you can have pretty much whatever power source you want.

Bowmovement

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 09:36:03 pm »

Is IC internal combustion? I would much rather keep it as an outboard. That way I don't have to redesign the cockpit and sole of the boat.

andyn

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 09:46:16 pm »

Yes, by IC I do mean Infernal Combustion ;)

You can get outboard IC engines reasonably easily

What you will want if you go for IC is a K&B Outboard.

http://www.mecoa.com/kb/marine/marine_outboard.htm

andyn

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 10:13:27 pm »

Oh and I also wish to thank you, by looking about the K&B website to find an engine for you, I've just found out that HP, another engine manufacturer from a long time ago, are still up and going under the name Mecoa. Probably means nothing to you, but that has made me slightly happier :-))

Bowmovement

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 11:14:22 pm »

Oh and I also wish to thank you, by looking about the K&B website to find an engine for you, I've just found out that HP, another engine manufacturer from a long time ago, are still up and going under the name Mecoa. Probably means nothing to you, but that has made me slightly happier :-))

I would like to thank you for the help.

andyn

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 05:00:43 pm »

No problem ;)

You decided on the power yet? I know little of leccy outboards but I do know a lot about IC ones.

Just noticed you're in the States, so if you did decide to go IC, then you should have no problems finding a lake to sail it on.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 20 queries.