Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can you help this man  (Read 3344 times)

bogstandard

Can you help this man
« on: April 17, 2009, 06:28:56 pm »

I would like to bring to your attention the plight of a man who is only trying to bring a bit of enjoyment to the people in his local area.

I know it is about model railroads, but I am hoping a few of the loco lads on here will pass this message on to your own websites you use. Or even the model boat lads would like to help, and if we can get this plight posted internationally, all the better.

This is in the US, but it could easily happen here. A man is being denied the right to use his own property for the enjoyment of others, free of charge.

http://williamsnews.com/main.asp?SectionID=1&subsectionID=1&articleID=8749

Please help by going to his website and signing the petition. It will only take you a few minutes, but it could stop the kids from being denied a valuable and enjoyable asset.

www.redlakerailroad.com

Lets keep these 'petty jobsworth officials' under control.

Thanks for reading

Bogs

MCR

Re: Can you help this man
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 07:42:06 pm »

Take a look at the name of the authority official! Says it all

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 07:49:15 pm »

You're right there MCR.

Have signed, much to good to lose. :-))
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 01:50:03 pm »

Brilliant setup, the county should take a running jump,
Also signed.........

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

benboat

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 02:18:18 pm »

Glad to sign as another case of official nonsense .

Peterm

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 02:38:19 pm »

Signed.  Pete
I`m not just old, I`m ancient

wbeedie

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 03:06:37 pm »

Signed and good luck to the man :-))

MartinH-K

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2009, 03:10:45 pm »

Done and dusted. :-))

das boot

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2009, 03:11:41 pm »

Same as that...all signed.

Rich

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2009, 05:16:33 pm »

Signed. :-))
..well can you land on this?

omra85

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2009, 09:22:28 pm »

Signed!  You don't suppose there is ANOTHER "public attraction" nearby who is losing money with all this FREE stuff and has complained to MS Pratt  %)   I mean, you wouldn't want your 'backhanders' going to waste, would you  >:-o

Danny
(Mr Cynical)

Damien

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2009, 07:44:48 am »

As an ex model railroader this got my blood on the boil.
Signed #121  Damien.

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2009, 08:11:52 am »

I'm happy to 'de-assist' with the on-going career progress of anyone who uses a word like "comforance".
Pompous little madam.
FLJ

barryfoote

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2009, 08:35:56 am »

Signed......

hollowhornbear

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2009, 08:57:03 am »

signed and good luck with this venture.  :-))  :-))

bogstandard

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2009, 09:16:18 am »

Very many thanks gents.

There is a little more to this story than what is shown in the reports.

To cut a very long story short, this is what is happening.

Robbie Diehl together with a neighbour with another plot of desserted desert put in their own little railway circuit in that went thru their two properties, just like people do over here with garden rail.

I have actually had a very nice email back from Robbie Diehl, including an official letter scan, and it looks like a female official has taken a bit of a dislike to him and what he is doing for the community, and is trying her utmost to force him to do as she says. That is, strip down the rail system (which he has to do now or face a very hefty fine) and don't do anything until she says so, and most probably her answer will be 'NO' to allowing him to run it again.

This is all because he put a box out, for maybe a 1 dollar voluntary donation, if anyone wanted to help with the running of the engines. She then said he was running it as a commercial enterprise. Just like when we put our RNLI boxes out on the table. Maybe we will be classed as trying to make money and have to get a trading licence and pay tax on it if the jobsworths over here got hold of the idea.

People would phone him up and he would get the engines into steam, or if already steaming, give them and the kids a ride, $1 donation or not, for the pure pleasure of doing so and making the kids happy.

A clear case of a modeller wanting to share his passion with the local community, as most model boaters do each weekend when they go out for a sail.

So it looks like this lady requires a bit of pressure applying, so she becomes a little more amiable and lot more helpful to the people she is supposed to be protecting with her 'red tape'.

Bogs

PT Sideshow

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2009, 04:50:06 pm »

I have to jump in here, to add some information about what generally starts these disputes between the pointy head government people and the homer owners.

What more times is the cause is neighbors complaints about traffic in the neighborhood, from the looks of the size of the parking lot there are expecting more than three or four cars at a time. I know in our city (small) the car cruise night downtown is a pain for those that live closer to it. I'm 8 city blocks from the area and you can hear the burnouts and noise from the engines being revved and no where to go.

But what is worse is the fireworks nights as the people park everywhere across your driveway entrance, and sidewalks. Then the fun starts when its over and the drunks start throwing the bottles and breaking them. It is a real pain for the people that live near the world famous Woodward Dream Cruise route for the week leading up to it.

So since it is a big money maker for the city (permits) sidewalk sellers, food trailers, etc You know its to keep the public safe. <*<  Along with local businesses that are raking in the money, any problems fall on deaf ears as the standard answer is we will address it at next years planning meeting. Which of course is always short on time.

And yes the insurance for the private party use let alone the public liability would shut them down in an eye blink.  Currently there is a guy that is suing Hooters because they wouldn't hire him as a Host to serve beer as they only employ women http://www.hooters.com/ the start of it was the Want to be a Hooters girl on their site.

So inviting the public onto your property even for a trunk/jumble/garage sale can be wrought with danger.

And he probably started out with the wrong attitude towards the city official(code violation enforcement officer) as they are called. Then it will go down hill from there.  A money maker for the cities checking for permits, fines and then the permits. And don't forget he would have to bring all his property up to code for the disabled public including the proper toilet facilities.(Federal ADA laws)

Its to bad that he will probably lose as you can't generally fight city hall and win. Seems the only one that will win is the lawyers that will be ligating the case for years. I hope they can work it out for the positive. and his continued operation of his RR.

garston1

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2009, 11:42:38 pm »

Signed :-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.