Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rosie Probert  (Read 3576 times)

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
Rosie Probert
« on: April 17, 2009, 02:57:18 pm »

I was passing over the docks at Goole the other day and spotted this moored up against Barge Dock ,
 it lookes to me like a humber barge that has been on a boil wash and has shrunk  :} .
What do you think .
daz

I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

Roger in France

Re: Rosie Probert
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 05:35:24 pm »

I know nothing of the design but I presume you recognise her name as one of the characters in "Under Milkwood" by Dylan Thomas?

I think he described her as "....being no better than she should be"!

Roger in France

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 06:58:16 pm »

I had no idea where the name is from Roger , I just spotted her laid up in goole . She has loads of charactor right down to the lea boards (i think thats what they are called) .
I think she would look well with her sails unfurled and under way on the river , i passed that way this aft and she had gone , not sure where but she may be up the canal near the museum , will find out sat when we have our monthly meeting.
daz

farrow

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 09:42:13 pm »

To me she looks like someones idea of a barge yacht, certainly not an ex commercial Thames spritty although she is rigged as one, I like her lines though.

Captain Jack

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 01:36:14 am »

Can you please explain the term "Humber barge", and "boil wash", to this yank? Completely strange terms to us on this side of the pond....

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 02:01:27 pm »

Hi Capt Jack

A 'Humber Barge' is a barge that is typical of the design of barges that used to work on the River Humber in the North of England.

The 'boil wash' is the setting on your washing machine that is used to boil (well almost boil) white linen. But if you accidentally put your woolens in that wash, they would shrink a lot.

Hope that helps.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

John C

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 09:14:39 am »

Check out "www.humberships.org.uk" for Humber Keels and Sloops.

John C

haggis12

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009, 06:47:53 pm »

Looks more like a Thames barge to me ... but maybe Thames and Humber barges are the same ?

John C

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2009, 07:02:03 pm »

No.......I dont think so.

This is definateley a take on the Thames barge yacht theme although they were always called "barge yachts".
Humber keels and sloops are more rounded fore and aft..
The barge yachts also had an area aft of the cabin with seats and a footwell for use when sailing.

John C

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2009, 02:50:45 pm »

Your right there John , it is definatly not a humber barge (don't know what it is) last week i was invited onto the Southcliffe a humber barge which has been lovingly restored and has a rustic feel all the way through right down to the BSP pipes and fittings for the water taps and shower.
I will be back on board next week and will ask if i can take some photos of the interior.
daz

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 02:06:26 am »

Could it be a re-rigged and re-named Dutch/Belgian/German Barge?
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

John C

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 08:36:30 am »

Daz
Is the Southcliffe a motor barge or sailing barge?. There's a motor barge moored on the Ouse along side Roundtree park as a live aboard, been there as long as I've lived up here.
It is very much like the Dutch barges you see on the canals in Amsterdam, I don't know what the big differences are if there are any, it just seems to have a bluffer bow.
I think one of the York club members has a model of a motor barge if memory serves me right.

John C

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2009, 09:37:12 pm »

From the info i have the southcliffe is a motor barge powered by a blaxton twin cylinder lister diesel , but this type of barge had the hinge on the keel for a mast plate when the keel was laid , so the owner has made a mast post through the hull and fitted a mast (square rigged) .
daz

John C

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2009, 06:55:52 am »

Sounds like a real nice job he's done there.

I had to organise a visit to a flour mill in my last job for the powers that be. I opted for the mill at Driffield (bell mill I think), the guy that owns it had pictures of Humber keels bringing the grain up the driffield canal under sail in his board room.
He told me that if they were running low on grain, they used to send a man to the top of the mill to look out for the red sails in the distance.

John C
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 23 queries.