Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: taxing a car  (Read 3347 times)

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
taxing a car
« on: April 17, 2009, 08:06:45 pm »

Last month we bought a new car and as the wife is disabled we decided to make use of the free road tax like we have done with our other cars , the problem was when we found out that the tax form was out of date (expired) so i had to buy 6 months tax myself.
Ok so at the first opotunity we made a trip to the local dvla office to make amends with a new form for the tax disc, this is when i found out that the one and only place where you would have thought that they would have all your information , ha wrong  >>:-( >>:-( <:( .
If you get checked by the police by your number plates they can see if you have tax insurance licence endorsments etc etc  :-)) , the same when you go to the post office to tax your car :-))  ,all the information is there  :-)) , and when you tax  it on line or by phone  :-)) .
But at the DVLA office no chance  >>:-( , why dont they have access to this information when even the local traffic warden can tell if your insured .
So it will have to be another trip later on next week ,before the end of the month O0 .
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
Re: taxing a car
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 08:51:05 pm »

Daz you can do the DLA Disability road "tax" badge online. My Father ( well my Mum does it lol ) gets his renewed every year by doing it online. The online site has access to all of the Insurance and MOT information so you only need to have the car registration and the DLA info I think
Davie Tait,
Scotland

wbeedie

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 08:53:12 pm »

The form that comes through the post has a ref number on iot for online buying

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 08:59:07 pm »

The on line form sounds fine but when I bought my car I insured and taxed it at the same time. Consequently, when I go to renew the tax online it tells me that the insurance is about to expire and I must go to a Post Office  with the hard copy documentation instead even though I have just renewed my insurance! The insurance companies are supposed to update the DVLA info but there is some sort of a timelag so it all goes wrong... Doh!!!

Colin

DARLEK1

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 09:06:03 pm »

Hi guys, according to the DVLA online, my car does not exist, so why do I get a reminder through the post every year???

The mind boggles!

Paul... %%

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 09:09:38 pm »

The on line form sounds fine but when I bought my car I insured and taxed it at the same time. Consequently, when I go to renew the tax online it tells me that the insurance is about to expire and I must go to a Post Office  with the hard copy documentation instead even though I have just renewed my insurance! The insurance companies are supposed to update the DVLA info but there is some sort of a timelag so it all goes wrong... Doh!!!

Colin

This happened to me so I bought 6 months tax and separated from the insurance - problem solved.
Don't Assume Check

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 09:14:49 pm »

This happened to me so I bought 6 months tax and separated from the insurance - problem solved.

True, but there shouldn't be a problem - lots of people must be in that situation and my Insurer is a big company so I would expect that it would not take more than a week to update the DVLA records which is apparently the case.  We still have a local Post Office so I just take the line of least resistance and queue for a couple of minutes.

Colin

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 09:15:08 pm »

I have a Motorbility car, no problems at all.  :-))
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 09:19:19 pm »

True, but there shouldn't be a problem - lots of people must be in that situation and my Insurer is a big company so I would expect that it would not take more than a week to update the DVLA records which is apparently the case.  We still have a local Post Office so I just take the line of least resistance and queue for a couple of minutes.

Colin

I supect the DVLA computer can only hold the record on one policy at a time and Government being what it is  >>:-(  the system won't allow a new policy update until the old one expires.  I know the system should cope but they didn't ask me to design and program it  :} :}

Doug
Don't Assume Check

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 09:20:24 pm »

I rather suspect you are right Doug.

Colin

nhp651

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2009, 10:32:44 pm »

"do the DLA Disability road "tax" badge "
can someone explain to me please what is meant by this,
 and if i am a blue badge holder, does this mean that i am therefore registered as disabled.
i still pay normal road tax for my car.
thanks, neil.

Roger in France

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2009, 06:52:57 am »

No Road Tax in France....smug, smug! And disabled drivers can buy small cars (restricted engine capacity) that need not be Registered or carry a Reg. Plate.

Roger in France

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2009, 08:19:31 am »

Mandatory third party cover in China is about 35 quid.
Road tax?
Although you do have to buy your cars initial registration, the cost varies from city to city as they are auctioned off. But something in the region of 3500 quid in Shanghai.
They have no DVLA and so if you get flashed at a set of traffic lights, outside your own city, you cannot be traced.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

wbeedie

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2009, 12:28:29 pm »

"do the DLA Disability road "tax" badge "
can someone explain to me please what is meant by this,
 and if i am a blue badge holder, does this mean that i am therefore registered as disabled.
i still pay normal road tax for my car.
thanks, neil.
Holders of the Blue badge are exempt from paying road tax ,you still have to show one

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2009, 03:38:27 pm »

No Willie a Blue Badge doesn't mean your exempt from Road Tax. You get an exemption from Road Tax if you are in receipt of High rate Mobility component for Disability Living Allowance ( carries over Attendance Allowance when 65+ if you've got it for life under DLA ) only. I have a Blue Badge and because I've not got the high rate DLA Mobility I still have to pay full road tax....
Davie Tait,
Scotland

wbeedie

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2009, 05:30:28 pm »

Start playing on your back Davie ,a lot o folk abuse the system when feck all wrong with them ,the old man had to fight the system for two years to get it and he needs two sticks to walk
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 21 queries.