Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CAD Drawings for springer  (Read 4257 times)

Ian Robins

• Full Mayhemer
CAD Drawings for springer
« on: April 18, 2009, 11:55:08 am »

Hi,
Just wondering if anyone has cad drawings for a springer hull.
Interested about prop angle relation to deck and final deck angle when sailed in anger.
I am building a couple for my daughters as club 500's are costing a arm and leg in boat repairs (they need a slower boat to learn with)
Please pm me with drawing or link to sites
thanks
ro88o
ps see you at wicksteed (watch out for two springers looking out of control)

chingdevil

Re: CAD Drawings for springer
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 02:47:40 pm »

Hi Ro880

This is a basic drawing for a springer, found on another web site. The prop as far as I am aware should be level with the deck, the springer likes diving without giving it a hand. If the batteries are set slightly back from centre the springer will run in a fairly level state, as long as you are not heavy handed with the throttle. If you give the springer full throttle it only does one thing, dive you do not have to worry then how level the deck is, just is it watertight :-)) :-)) :-)).
On my springer with the Pepsi can bridge, full throttle will put over an inch of water over the front of it and getting deeper, luckily my superstructure has a o ring seal on it. Some people have put a coaming in the front between the knees to stop some of the water, I tried it but felt it just trapped the water and helped the springer dive.

These are just my thoughts there are other builders out there, who might have other ideas.

Brian

Ian Robins

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 03:06:22 pm »

Cheers Brian,
                I was just wondering if anyone had cad plans because some of the builds have very internal layout  especially the box construction ones. I want to build as box construction and also include a motor mount. I have a motor/gearbox combo from a tyre inflater (£5 one from cheap shop). the conrod broke but the gearbox is well made with bearings on the output shaft. I have a hull built but no internals as of yet. I used the pdf on the start of the thread, for the sides. I used 6mm ply and then sheeted the bottom in 1.5 mm ply.
Is the shaft length ok at 5" as i want to place the batteries  (6v 4a) either side of the shaft, so I think the motor could go further forward.
I was thinking of using the motor mount and shaft assemby from SLEC. they have a moulded motor mount and a 230mm shaft (9" I believe)  but they dont say what prop size.
any I have some thinking to do.

cheers
ro88o

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 03:41:36 pm »

I have CAD (AutoCad 2002) plans for all of my Springers.. What format works for you?.. DXF?, DWG?

Most Springers will dive under too much power, no matter what the shaft angle is.. The only way to stop it (as found so far) is to place the 'weight' so far back in the hull that it looks 'un-natural at 'rest'.
Just take it easy on the throttle is really the only answer...  %)

This is Mustang Sally under full power.. and yes, she has a high coaming under that superstructure..  :-))

chingdevil

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 03:44:03 pm »

Hi Toes

Not wishing to hijack the thread, do you have a cad drawing of a basic springer layout in .dwg format that I could have?

Brian

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 04:48:09 pm »

Not wishing to hijack the thread, do you have a cad drawing of a basic springer layout in .dwg format that I could have?

Sure Ching. PM me your email and i will send it through...  :-))

craftysod

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 22 queries.