Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1/48 1890s steam yacht "Actium" semi-scratchbuild  (Read 11997 times)

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Re: 1/48 1890s steam yacht "Actium" semi-scratchbuild
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2009, 08:59:43 pm »

What ever happened to this build ?
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Edward Pinniger

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plastic Ship Kit Previews
Re: 1/48 1890s steam yacht "Actium" semi-scratchbuild
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2009, 04:12:13 pm »

What ever happened to this build ?

Unfortunately, it's currently indefinitely in "dry dock" awaiting a refit. {:-{ There's a problem with the radio which may be fixable by modifying the aerial wire, but I'll probably have to replace the cheap RTR radio with a new set of reasonable quality. The motor/prop shaft connection (and possibly the motor too) also needs to be changed. All of this will require cutting off the deck, so the build has been indefinitely postponed until I find another decent-quality radio + speed controller system (currently I've only got one, which will go in my Billing Boats Calypso kit) and motor. If nothing else, this has taught me to thoroughly test the radio and working parts of a model, both in and out of the water, before I start work on the painting and modelling side of the build! In this case, I only tested it out of the water and at very short range on the water; I didn't discover the radio range problems until it was too late.

Since the last update I added the hull bulwarks and painted the masts + funnel, I also acquired or scratchbuilt most of the fittings and smaller parts needed. It's a great shame to have this model sitting unfinished on the shelf, as it should look really nice when finished. But until I've got it working properly again, there's not much point in doing any more work (it'll only get damaged when I remove the deck)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 22 queries.