Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Euryalus  (Read 4786 times)

Tom@Crewe

• Full Mayhemer
HMS Euryalus
« on: April 20, 2009, 09:05:24 am »

Hi Gang

I'm coming to the end of my present build a Battle Class Destroyer and I am looking to my next build a Dido Class Cruiser.

I have quite a bit of information on her but more would be better I am building her in her early guise  1941 in Camouflage but I don't yet have a port view if her or detail of her deck camouflage pattern.

I have been in touch with DARLEK1 who have the HMS Hermione, has anyone else built a Dido On Deans hull with advice?

Tom

TCC

Re: HMS Euryalus
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 04:10:46 pm »

You should try to get hold of a book called "battleship, cruiser, destroyer" by Gregory Haines and CDR. B.R. Coward. While actual photos of DIDO are rare, it's has about 3 of her as a small sillouette in the distance, the DIDO class is well represented.

The 2 G Haines 'chapters' (really they're books.. it's actually 3 books in 1) on Cruisers & Destroyers are very photo-rich and are RN based. The cruiser section is predominantly the Med and Graf Spee areas while the detroyer section is more varied.There's a lot of views in a cruiser bridge from a DIDO class, IIRC it's from EURYALUS. There's another set from a cruiser with a photographer from the Radio Times aboard, going through the med.

I think mine, while a present, came from one of those 'remaindered' book shops and I've since seen them in there for about £5. On a cost-per-photo basis, you must be getting each image for pennies... not that they are all spot on, there's a lot of war-time photos from box-brownies and published by the publisher printing down to a price so....

Here's the cover so you know what type of book you're getting, but when getting an image from the IWM costs £5 in postage alone...

The book is A4 in size... and it's thick.

Eric65

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 05:10:53 pm »

I've got that book, and can thouroghly recommend it too.

TCC

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 04:53:18 pm »

Thanks Eric... glad to know I'm not the only one. :-)

I have a lot of the 'cheap' books from those type of shops.. a lot were pressies. I don't mind them though as, to me, it's all about the photos.

Eric, if you have it, you must recall the image of LION across 2 pages? If I bought that image from IWM at the size it's printed at, I reckon that that'd have been about £20-£25 to get it through my letterbox. So the price the complete book sells for is a bargain.

Cheers

Tom@Crewe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 07:27:02 pm »

I too have this book it is one thats more to the back of the pile but Yes! Lot's of Dido's and Euryalus.

It will now be pushed to the front, thanks for that.

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 09:53:55 pm »

Tom

I don't know if you have noticed in Ensign 2 the remark that Cleopatra's camouflage pattern was almost identical. Might help with the port side pattern.
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

Pauldoe

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 10:00:17 pm »

Hi guys:

You may want to look at Phil Reeder's 1/350 HMS Cleopatra build - here, (and elsewhere on the net):

http://www.modelshipwrights.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=2654

Good luck,
P

Tom@Crewe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2009, 09:44:24 am »

Very Very nice!

farrow

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 09:38:42 am »

Found this link with an interesting photo looking forward at the Battle of Sirte.

http://www.euryalus.org.uk/

farrow

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 09:58:12 am »

Found three more photo's port side 1939/42/43.

farrow

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2009, 10:13:48 am »

Found this interesting site on the ships history, thought it might interest you-
Seems if she was painted camouflage it was for only a few months.

Tom@Crewe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2009, 12:47:14 pm »

Very useful Info thanks

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2009, 09:58:42 pm »

If the picture in Malta is actually Euryalus it must have been taken after July 1944. It was during the refit from October 1943 to July 1944 that Q turret was removed and replaced by a quad pom-pom.
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

farrow

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 11:17:05 am »

Would seem she was probably painted at the first battle of Sirtes in the two tone grey colour looking at photo's taken from her bridge. But have found in my files an early photo of her in a multi colour dazzle paint job.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 22 queries.