Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Holidays for "singles"  (Read 3672 times)

banjo

Holidays for "singles"
« on: April 20, 2009, 07:18:10 pm »

O0

..... "now there's a funny thing"    I wonder if anyone suffers from the same annual problem that I have....

Once you have done all the Battlefield tours that can be done; short of a trip to the South Atlantic, what else can one do alone?

Age and respectability rules out Thailand and the Far East..... and a "coach" tour would be too much for the bladder...

So.. come on..suggestions please..!!!

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
Re: Holidays for "singles"
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 07:28:51 pm »

Not knowing your age or physical fitness, may I suggest parts of the coastal path (spmething I have yet to try but a friend goes quite often). You need the weather so summer (when?) is best. Just a thought.

Doug
Don't Assume Check

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 07:42:27 pm »

O0

..... "now there's a funny thing"    I wonder if anyone suffers from the same annual problem that I have....

Once you have done all the Battlefield tours that can be done; short of a trip to the South Atlantic, what else can one do alone?

Age and respectability rules out Thailand and the Far East..... and a "coach" tour would be too much for the bladder...

So.. come on..suggestions please..!!! ]

Touring coaches these days come with on-board toilets. Just imagine doing the crossword while travelling backwards at 70mph.  %)

Barry M

craftysod

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 08:13:10 pm »

Alcatraz,superb visit
Mark

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 08:22:22 pm »

I think you can get a cabin on a Nile cruise without having to pay a single supplement. Sitting on the top deck under a veranda with a cold beer and watching the almost Biblical scenes on the riverbank is a great experience - and you don't HAVE to go ashore to see the temples although I wouldn't have missed them but then I'm an archaeology wonk. When you get to Aswan you can hire a Felucca to take you around the islands in the river - magic! I'd love to do it all again, one of the best experiences I've ever had. Don't forget the Immodium though.

We have also visited Alcatraz but found it rather disappointing except for the views back to San Francisco. The guides appeared to be descended from the original prison wardens and were outraged when we said that, no we didn't want to look at Al Capone's cell, we'd much rather admire the view off the island. Thought we were going to have to see it anyway, maybe for an extended period!

Colin

craftysod

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 08:58:38 pm »

Times have changed Colin,no guides but an audio tour now.
But the views are great whether on or off the island,especially by the golden gate bridge
Mark

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 09:48:35 pm »

Banjo:   How're you doing?

If you don't mind traveling to Canada how about taking the Rocky Mountaineer train journey through the Rocky Mountains. All first class, overnight accommodation is in Hotels and fabulous scenery:  http://www.rockymountaineer.com/
  Also, from the same departure point, Vancouver, you could take one of the many Alaska cruises up the inland passage. All are excellent and make an unforgettable trip.

John

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 11:01:46 pm »

I think you can get a cabin on a Nile cruise without having to pay a single supplement. Sitting on the top deck under a veranda with a cold beer and watching the almost Biblical scenes on the riverbank is a great experience - and you don't HAVE to go ashore to see the temples although I wouldn't have missed them but then I'm an archaeology wonk. When you get to Aswan you can hire a Felucca to take you around the islands in the river - magic! I'd love to do it all again, one of the best experiences I've ever had. Don't forget the Immodium though.

We have also visited Alcatraz but found it rather disappointing except for the views back to San Francisco. The guides appeared to be descended from the original prison wardens and were outraged when we said that, no we didn't want to look at Al Capone's cell, we'd much rather admire the view off the island. Thought we were going to have to see it anyway, maybe for an extended period!

Colin
Just a query from an "interested" observer, but why are you now an"advisor" instead of a "Global Moderator"?
Notes from a simple seaman

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2009, 11:08:28 pm »

Please don't rule out a "singles" trip to the Far East. O.K....forget Siam, sorry, Thailand. Malaya, Penang, Singapore,Indonesia et al can all give you a holiday and experiences you will look back on with fondness. If it's possible, then go by sea rather than just popping in with an aircraft. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2009, 11:10:15 pm »

Just a query from an "interested" observer, but why are you now an"advisor" instead of a "Global Moderator"?

As I am now responsible for the Model Boats website it was agreed that I should relinquish my executive role on Mayhem to avoid any potential conflict of interest. At the request of the other Moderators I can still participate in Moderator discussions but they are free to ignore my views. Seems to be a reasonable trade off.... :-)

Colin

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2009, 11:16:24 pm »

what about going abroad to other places and working it in with
local large model shows over there??????

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2009, 12:19:29 am »

banjo

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2009, 07:22:21 am »

O0

Thank you all for your input.

Some serious research planned;  The Rocky Mountain Railway has it for now... ( is that a rocky railway?)

O0

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2009, 12:46:05 pm »

I think Nexus used to have something to do with singles holidays.

I remember looking about 8 years ago and found a lot of stuff on tinternet.

Have you tried google, singles holidays?
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

TCC

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2009, 11:28:14 am »

I'd say sod it and take as much money as I could to bangkok... you only live once. :kiss:

Re: respectability, if the vicar asks about the tan and the smile, say you went to the Algarve with a gang of old army buddies. LOL

barryfoote

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2009, 12:53:00 pm »

I tried to book a holiday for a single but it failed miserably...........The wife insisted on coming with me!! <:( <:(

Admhawk

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2009, 12:24:02 pm »

If you make it to Ontario, there are plenty of museums and other sites. HMCS HAIDA, The WAR MUSEUM in Ottawa, USS LITTLE ROCK and The SULLIVANS in Buffalo. Air museums(flying Lancaster, restored Halifax, Arrow replica), great lakes museums, Bras d'Or hydro foil in Quebec, All the forts, SACKVILLE in Halifax etc etc etc....

Let me know ahead of time and maybe I can take you around to some of the sights in the Toronto area.

And yes, the train does rock a little!  O0

Don't forget the Naval museum in Calgary, one of the best in Canada. Maritime museum in Vancouver, the stern of Cape Breton in North van, an old Cape class ship from the RN. Tons of stuff!!!  :-))

Darren
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 22 queries.