Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LCM III I think  (Read 2483 times)

cling-on-bop

LCM III I think
« on: April 21, 2009, 11:39:04 pm »

Hi,

I have built a LCM III (I think), an Airfix landing craft in 1/72, but instead of a tank I built a group of crates to hide the battery.

I showed the photo's to another member of this excelent site last week when i was reading about his vosper (sorry forgot the name). see below.
Well i went to the local model boat club on saturday and asked if i could try it out, previuos test was in the kitchen sink, and it showed up a little fault, one motor would run out of the water and once when in the water, then refuse to operate, so with sharp impliment, i removed as much paint as i could from around the shaft.

Sunday was a bit hectic so i turned up at 11:45 so most were leaving, they kindly said it was alright, so in it went, well it worked a treat, ballasted a bit much at the rear left, but while talking to an ex-member, i tried a few other positions, first the boat on its own     perfectly level, with the crate cover      perfectly level, with the batery forward of the bund wall      perfectly level. OOPS,  :embarrassed: will have to move the battery to make it work better. so i was well chuffed,  :D now all i have to do is get my next project on the go.

steve pickstock

Re: LCM III I think
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 07:46:04 am »

Cool! Congrats.

Your LCM3 looks great.

I received a delivery yesterday of some little RC boats - toys really - but they work, out to about 30ft away, and the radio gear weighs nothing, plus they have built in batteries so you can seal the whole thing up and charge it with a connector.

cling-on-bop

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 08:35:26 pm »

Do you know of anyone else who has converted one, I m interested what drive system they used so I can convert an older one I have from my childhood.

Also interest in how fast a normal servo speed is compared to a miniture, obviously the torque is better but is there a rotational difference.

For a PT109 by revell, any suggetions to the drive line?  ok2

cling-on-bop

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 04:27:58 pm »

Hi, this is the Forth or fith attempt to add the latest photo's, must be due to that big bright object in the sky, it's like a UFO.

Any way, I have moved the bund wall to relocate the battery further forward, expect i did it wrong and i had to do it all again.

Well after about 20minutes in the sink ' playing with it '. It floats resonably flat.

With many thanks to the Worsly model boat club for allowing me to sail it this morning.

I had some comments of , be carefull it is sandy there, refuring to the beach at the side of the jetty and the shallow draft of the LCM.

and bemusment that it was not scratch built but an airfix kit, i was move concerned with the flotsum.

cling-on-bop

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 04:28:50 pm »

:-)

steve pickstock

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 02:54:14 pm »

That looks excellent.

cling-on-bop

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 06:29:21 pm »

Wife photographed the boat (blind as a bat) although in all fairness the camera is fairly rubbish, have yet to get a decent photo with the thing, will have to try an older camera.

Even the video was bad, no colour but will check the forum for attaching videos etc.

Thanks for the comments - was wondering if any one had done of these, seen the higgins and the thread for the italia 1/35
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 19 queries.