Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Ocean-going bunkerboat Josse II scale 1:75  (Read 7876 times)

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
  • Very passionate about ships
Ocean-going bunkerboat Josse II scale 1:75
« on: April 23, 2009, 07:16:11 pm »

Hello guys,

While working on the bunkerstations on Well Enhancer i started to think about a nice purpose for my hull of a fishingvessel.
Bunkerboats have (for as far as i know) been very rare in modelbuilding-world, and to refuel Well Enhancer is a pretty big one needed, so i thought well why not use that hull to build a large, ocean-going version of the bunkerboat.
I don't yet have any drawings of my plans, but i will probebly go to make them somewhere during the build.
Here are the specs: length: 113cm, broadth: 33cm, depth: about 15cm, total height: not yet known, scale: 1:75.
Engine and prop are from my tubboat Josse I, being a 700 Torque with a 4-bladed 55mm prop.
Here are the first pics:

This is the hull.

Here is the propulsion being installed.

The prop is quite small for this model, but i might (though i'm not sure about that) change it for a larger one.

Greetings Josse
Under construction: diving support vessel Well Enhancer scale 1:75, a very big and very ambitious project that keeps on going and going till I finally solve all ambitious things about it and have it working.
A day without learning is a lost day

andyn

Re: Ocean-going bunkerboat Josse II scale 1:75
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 08:05:47 pm »

Isn't this a Bunkerboat?

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 08:26:06 pm »

Hello guys,

The bunkerboat this is about is also not a inshore boat, but one that goes to sea, and therefore needs a comletly different hullshape, and except for the height of this hull the shape appears to be pretty well possible.

Here are some more pics:

Hull with a captain under the bow.

Captain standing in front of his engine.

Who said something about a small prop? {-)

The inside of the hull.
I think i will build her for bringing all sorts of supplies to ships at sea so that they can sail through.

This is a totally fictive model, so it really doesn't need to be accurate.

Greetings Josse
Under construction: diving support vessel Well Enhancer scale 1:75, a very big and very ambitious project that keeps on going and going till I finally solve all ambitious things about it and have it working.

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 12:08:07 pm »

Made some more progress:

Possible place for the battery. This is in the cargo-tanks, but i think that it won't affect the trim so much that it looks unrealistic.

Made a piece of deck. This deck will be fixed to the hull after a while, but as i need to do very much more underneath it it will remain removeable for a while.

Started building platforms for the ESC and transmitter. Because this ship will have only a few crewmembers i will also build a scale-version of an engineroom, with bunkers for the own ship.

Captain overseeing the build.

Started working on the attachement of the rudder as well.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 07:18:49 pm »

Keep spamming you with pics.

Steering-engineroom getting it's floor.

Servo received a foundation, and has also been put in position.

Winch for the refuelling-hose under construction, and yes indeed, i do use a rope, it's a well insultated hose {-) {-)

And here it is assembled. Most parts of the deck will be wood-like, but under a winch that would be to weak in real.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 12:46:15 pm »

Some more progress:

Added first bollards so i can moor her when going to sail with a other model.

Secured the engine a bit more.

Preperations for mounting the rudder.

Rudder being installed.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2009, 03:11:29 pm »

Propulsion has been tested, so here are a photo and a movie of the testing and running-gear.

The steering-gear.
Here is de movie:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTisZoEQYxo

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2009, 04:35:49 pm »

Put the Josse II in the water for the first time, and she did leak a bit around the propshaft, but i did test the engine which turned out to be powerful enough to get a good deal of speed.
The rudder has also been tested for as far that was possible, and appears to be of the right size to give her a good manouvreability, which is also due to the small length-to-beam ratio.
Here is a movie of the test:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Chr__8KAlDk

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2009, 06:59:00 pm »

First seatrial has been made.
Still a leak, but not big enough to stop me from sailing.
The rudder works perfect, she turns fast, even when the prop isn't turning, and even some steering effect when sailing backwards.
The topspeed is also good, about 5km/h like when walking.
Braking also goes pretty fast, within a meter from topspeed.
Good deal of pulling-power as well.
Here are 2 movies:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPcYPjUOn_U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaI_kUjoL1A

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2009, 04:06:06 pm »

Been working on some other things on this model:

The diesel-sound. This part of the engineroom will be the controlroom, couldn't think of any better option.

Speaker in what will become the engine.
As sound isn't visible i've made a movie:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GCCnu9g9Wg

And some other progress as well:

Mooring isn't possible when there are no bollards, and when your at sea most of the time those bollards will have to be painted, otherwise the rust will eat them, so here are some painted bollards.

And some more.

Greetings Josse

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2009, 04:42:55 pm »

I'm really sorry about this, but you really do have it all wrong. Bollards particulaly. Rather than "doing your own thing" and posting the results, why not browse this forum and get an idea as to how things really look. I still think the hull looks like an elderly fishing boat and would not therefore be used as a "bunkerboat". We all have crosses to bear when it comes to modelling ships / boats but learn from your mistakes. "Research" is a priority. Read the forum and any other sources of info you can. If in doubt then ask. Nice try, but rebuild as a fishing boat. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

cling-on-bop

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2009, 05:19:07 pm »

{:-{
Me, I have just checked out what a BUNKER BOAT is, and if it was low enough in the water i dont think you could tell much difference other than the flat underside of the rear bit on josse's version, if it looks the part whats the problem, so the hull is from a fishing vessel, a ficticious vessel may be a conversion, who says that it would not be possible, it's a vessel carrying fuel, providing it would be fit for purpose any vessel would be usable, or am i talking out of my seabottom. ok2

cling-on-bop

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2009, 05:48:27 pm »

:o sorry, Didnt think it had to be perfect being only a project using a fishing hull  :((

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2009, 06:17:35 pm »

Guys,

I'm using the hull of a fishing boat because this isn't a project for which i want to build an entire hull.
The bollards aren't finished, the screw is just the base, it will be sanded.
Research has been done, but not so much for the hull as i don't want to build one for a ship like this.
Above all, this is a freelance model, it isn't meant to be 100% correct.
What is not right about the bollards apart from using screws to make them so that i can use them for attaching ropes to it?

Duck-tape is pretty useful for getting the first wires attached to the hull, without having a ty-rap going through the hull.
When the normal methods don't work to keep parts in place while the glue dries duck-tape is a pretty good solution.

Greetings Josse

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2009, 06:49:23 pm »

I agree, research is paramount when building a model, even a fictitious one. To that end I found this on a Google search. Does the fishing hull come anywhere close?

http://d951443.u114.weberz.com/images/BUNKER_BOAT/Bunker_Boat.JPG

John

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2009, 06:55:24 pm »

Sorry Josse I'm afraid I have to agree with the others on this, freelance is fine but you still need to get the small details correct. Have a look at some bollards and you will see that no matter what you do, two screws aint going to work.

And your sound system wants recycling, your motor makes a more realistic diesel sound.

A little more attention to detail and you will do fine and don't worry about your electrical connection blocks on the rudder as several people on here use that system including some of the best model boat builders.

By the way, this was made using a fishing boat hull.

Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2009, 10:09:06 pm »

Hi Sea mariner,

As i'm now mostly working on other things i wont go to fill (which i indeed intended to write) now, but i did want to have it look better now.
The filler also works better when the material has been painted.

Hi Dicky,

The diesel-sound is work in progress.

On Well Enhancer the same screws are used as bollards, and as long as their filled and made smooth (the first part of the screw just under the top is allready smooth) they will look like real bollards, and they can handle quite a lot of weight.
Right now they indeed don't look good, but when finished you won't see that their actually screws.

Hi John,

I really don't care about the shape of the hull.
Above all, the model you showed is far to old for what i'm building, so that's not useful as comparison.
The hull indeed isn't what it should be, but this model is only build to "refuel" my other models, and really only for fun.
Other details will be build as realistic as possible, but i'm really not going to build an entire hull for this purpose.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2009, 08:42:35 am »

Unfortunatly i can't edit the topic title, i have been changing one very important thing: the scale.
The scale has been changed to 1:35 to make the sizes of the real ship (if it would exist) are matching better with the ship.
Majorly the depth wasn't quite right, almost 10cm's more then Well Enhancer, rescale that, and then appears that the depth in real would also be almost 10m more then that of the far bigger Well Enhancer and Seven Atlantic (named from smallest to biggest, S-A is 15m longer then W-E).
Here are a few pics to show what it will look like with the new crew:

The new crew. Crew coming from a few tanks in scale 1:35.

The new crew in the engineroom.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2009, 10:15:13 am »

The sound-module appeared to be attached wrong, but that has been solved, and after that i did a new test:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtilQV5cfNA

The crew is also under construction so that i can use them as human's in photo-update's.

This is the drunken captain, don't know why i hired him as captain, don't like drunken people, let alone if they are to control a ship.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2009, 11:30:47 am »

Decided how many crewmembers there will be on board, and what their tasks will be.
10 crewmembers, being captain, 1st and second mate (officer), 3 machine men (is that correct English? tried Babelfish, but don't trust that very well, and Wikipedia doesn't work on this one, it's the guys in the engineroom) and 4 sailors for steering the ship, maintaining the ship, working with the ropes.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2009, 01:10:11 pm »

Done some more work on the crew:

The machine men (still doesn't know if that is correct English) are all in the engineroom, where they should be.

Helmsman at the deck dreaming he's steering the ship {-)

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2009, 07:11:25 pm »

Some more work done on this model:

First lighting added to make photographing a bit more easy.

First generator-set under construction.

Sorry for the really bad quality, used the webcam, but that was also the last time, this looks terrible.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Ocean-going bunkerboat Josse II scale 1:35
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2009, 11:38:39 am »

Some more work done, but first the boat on my new "car" (what's the English name?)

More work on the harbour-generator.

Made another seatrial.

To fast to make a sharp photo.

LED's on.

Greetings Josse

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2009, 11:11:30 am »

Hi ya Josse

I do hope the perfect brigade who have posted comments on your build havent put you off from posting on this Forum.    There are a lot of folk in this world who cant see passed their noses and everything has to be perfect in this world - their lack of imagination is their sad loss.

When you are building your models - take no notice of any comments made about how YOU do things.  At the end of the day, it is what pleases you.   The other thing which has ruffled my feathers with the comments is that not one person who made a comment has offered you any help or indeed any description of ideas to help in making items.   So, I have added a little sketch for you.   One of a bollard; made using pieces of cardboard, wood screws and offcuts of drinking straws; the other one is of a deck winch/anchor winch - depending on what you want to do.   It is made from scrap pieces of plastic to form the base and sides; offcuts of balsa wooden blocks and an old pen top, some buttons from the sewing box (to form the outer flanges of the winch drums) - either an offcut of a circular biro pen (to make the centre of the winch drums) - oh, and before I forget the reason for the pen top is to represent an electric motor casing.

Aye
Bluebird

REMEMBER KEEP THE IMAGINATION STRONG MY FRIEND  :-))

Last but not least which I have added is a correct aerofoil shape of a rudder - easily sanded to shape using sandpaper or a file; and it is made exactly the same way as you have made your rudder.    You will find that this shaped rudder performs a lot better than a squared off one which you have on your present build - although I do appreciate this may be a trial rudder which you have fitted.  So, once again, I do hope that you havent left the forum as I note you havent been on here for a while.   I just hope its other commitments keeping you away from the forum.
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2009, 11:47:53 am »

Hi Bluebird,

Thanks for the sketches.

The reason why i haven't been posting in this topic is because i didn't build very much anymore.
When i was just outside my house for going to sail the Josse II fell on the ground upside-down, causing the floor in the steeringengineroom to break free.
The damage hasn't been fixed, and the propulsion is back in my tugboat which is currently undergoing a conversion to a escort-vessel, see link: http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=16766.0

Greetings Josse
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.