Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Westbourne Models - 'Let the buyer Beware!'  (Read 133142 times)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
Re: My visit to Westbourne Models
« Reply #225 on: December 03, 2015, 08:21:20 pm »

I ordered from Component shop, J.R.Haynes and Cornwall Model Boats recently and their help and order turnaround was in the very acceptable zone. If my order arriveas within the week I sent it including weekends then I am satisfied.
Pond weed is your enemy

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
  • Figurin' it out........slowly!!!
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #226 on: December 03, 2015, 09:16:18 pm »

I ordered from Component shop, J.R.Haynes and Cornwall Model Boats recently and their help and order turnaround was in the very acceptable zone. If my order arriveas within the week I sent it including weekends then I am satisfied.

Honest question from me in relation to the above comment - IF it was going to take longer than a week to arrive AND you were notified of that fact in advance (because the parts had to be made for instance), would that be acceptable too?  I have a fear that someone who orders a kit from me might get shirty because I am waiting for the hull to be made, even though I told them so at the outset - purely hypothetical at this time you understand.....

jarvo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Etherow model boat club
« Reply #227 on: December 03, 2015, 09:58:48 pm »

Carlmt, the problem is Westbourne dont comunicate, if you have told the buyer that there is a problem, told them how that problem is coming allong you will have few problems.

Having said that, you will always have a winger who wants it NOW,

Hope this helps

Mark
Tugs are for pulling

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #228 on: December 03, 2015, 10:07:41 pm »

If you are straightforward and upfront about delivery times then there can be no complaint providing that you keep to your stated delivery time or, if not for any reason, keep the customer informed. People are OK if they know what is happening, they only complain if they feel they are being kept in the dark or messed around with.

But don't make promises you may not be able to keep! Best to be pessimistically realistic then customers will be delighted when their goods arrive a bit sooner than expected.

Colin

Crossie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #229 on: December 03, 2015, 10:29:46 pm »

Carlmt, the problem is Westbourne dont comunicate, if you have told the buyer that there is a problem, told them how that problem is coming allong you will have few problems.

Having said that, you will always have a winger who wants it NOW,

Hope this helps

Mark

This has been my experience too Mark, I was promised something within a  week , after two weeks of silence I enquired and was informed 'in another week', two weeks later the same thing, so I cancelled.  Retailers should realise that customers have [usually] many other things going on in their lives and a bit of truthful communication is worthwhile, at least to retain their trust if not that particular sale!  Some UK retailers seem to forget that customers have global resources at their fingertips now.

Trevor

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #230 on: December 03, 2015, 11:01:11 pm »

Managing expectations is important in retail as well as any other service industry

As others have said people are normally quite happy to wait, as long as they are advised of this at the earliest opportunity and kept informed

For example where I work, a process takes say an hour.  We will say 90mins.   This way if there is an issue we have time to rectify it, plus the added bonus is that if we deliver 30 mins early we look better :)
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

inertia

« Reply #231 on: December 03, 2015, 11:11:03 pm »

Carl
The other golden rule is not to take payment before you are in a position to despatch the goods. There is no excuse for that.
Dave M

GAZOU

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #232 on: December 04, 2015, 09:37:03 am »

We had in France two or three suppliers who took control.
They took collected the money
When they had enough orders of the customers they ordered themselves their supplier.
It could last weeks.

Thanks to the forums customer know now.
Nobody wants to order more at their home.

A bad reputation lasts one week
Good reputation lasts for years.

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #233 on: December 04, 2015, 10:11:36 am »

I do not profess to know the ins and outs of the politics that go on throughout the modelling world, but there seems to be a lot of skulduggery going on in certain spheres of the trade that supplies the model boating fraternity, reading between the lines.

Beit cheep electrics from china and now collecting money up front before ordering it from suppliers. Is this the norm in just model boating or all aspects of the modelling hobby.

Jim.
life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #234 on: December 04, 2015, 10:37:12 am »

Don't get the wrong impression Jim. Most suppliers to the model boating world are first class. The disappointment in this topic relates mainly to one supplier which previously enjoyed a very good reputation but which appears to have now fallen short of their original high standards.

Colin

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #235 on: December 04, 2015, 11:19:32 am »

Carl
The other golden rule is not to take payment before you are in a position to despatch the goods. There is no excuse for that.
Dave M

This is not about Westbourne but a general comment.

I am not very happy about small companies with very little security holding my credit card details on their computers and much prefer the secure payments options of PayPal & the other banking channels that retailers use - the ones with https and the locked padlock in the address bar. I doubt that the retailers have the ability to delay the payment where these secure payment methods are used.

Can they delay taking the money?

PS I try & verify that they have stock before I order.

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #236 on: December 04, 2015, 12:14:59 pm »

Don't get the wrong impression Jim. Most suppliers to the model boating world are first class. The disappointment in this topic relates mainly to one supplier which previously enjoyed a very good reputation but which appears to have now fallen short of their original high standards.

Colin

Thank you Colin.

Just a little bit clearer now. It is so hard to build up a good reputation and yet so easy to destroy it.

It is sad to hear that this is happening to this company that seems to have had, reading up in the site,  such a good reputation in the past.

Jim.
life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!

Yarpie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #237 on: December 04, 2015, 12:32:59 pm »

As a consumer and not a supplier, I make this comment in support of the supplier.

Suppliers NEED to verify the "colour of your money" before despatching goods. O0

There are too many nefarious folk out there for suppliers to rely on positive payment. Therefore they need confirmed payment before despatch.

I understand this. ok2

At present I am dealing with a supplier who has had the misfortune of despatching, via Royal Mail first class letter post (small in volume). He has sent my order three times (at no extra cost) because the first two deliveries failed. This retailer stood to lose £100 because of the failed deliveries, but he persevered in the interests of the customer. Thankfully, the first "failed" delivery arrived yesterday, (first class letter post....... three weeks after posting). :((

Happy to relate that I can return the first consignment back to him, and the second, should it eventually arrive.The point is; we were in communication throughout the five-week issue and had consequently built up a trust throughout the negotiations.  The supplier (ends in Bits) and I developed a mutual trust because of the problem.

It does go to prove that dialogue helps in misunderstandings.

Well done the proprieter, Steve.

Sandy.

inertia

« Reply #238 on: December 04, 2015, 12:37:36 pm »

I am not very happy about small companies with very little security holding my credit card details on their computers and much prefer the secure payments options of PayPal & the other banking channels that retailers use - the ones with https and the locked padlock in the address bar. I doubt that the retailers have the ability to delay the payment where these secure payment methods are used.

All businesses which handle credit/debit card data at any level are bound by this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Payment_Card_Industry_Data_Security_Standard
The level of security which they are obliged to have depends on the nature of the records they keep, but is subject to a compulsory risk self-assessment and declaration at the very least. Penalties for non-compliance are very severe and their inspectors can have access to examine and inspect without warning. That's more powers than the dreaded VAT man! There's also the point that large organisations like Paypal and the banks are far more obvious and potentially lucrative targets for the professional hackers than an obscure little model boat retailer - even an honest and trusting guy like Steve Tranter.
BTW I'd advise any traders who haven't heard of the PCI DSS to get wise to it quickly - they do mean business.
DM

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #239 on: December 04, 2015, 12:44:16 pm »

Can they delay taking the money?

PS I try & verify that they have stock before I order.

Just a quick point on this matter from me - we are currently in the process of setting up a secure payment method on the website for when it goes live.  I cannot speak for other traders/suppliers, but in our case we will never know the card details of the customer as that side of things is handled by the provider of the 'merchant account' and 'shopping basket' (something like that anyway!).  Once the customer decides to make a purchase through the website, they are taken to a secure page where their card details are entered.  These are then verified by the 3rd party provider (not us!) as to the ability of the customer to pay.  Only then do the funds get released to us.

Yes, it will be expensive for a small firm like ours to keep large stocks of things such as hulls (particularly), but it is our intention to have up to 5 in stock at any one time.  Our website, however, will advise getting in touch before ordering to verify that a particular kit is in stock and ready to dispatch.  If it isn't, then we can let the customer know when it WILL be in stock and they can then order at THAT time should they wish.

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #240 on: December 04, 2015, 12:45:42 pm »

All businesses which handle credit/debit card data at any level are bound by this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Payment_Card_Industry_Data_Security_Standard
The level of security which they are obliged to have depends on the nature of the records they keep, but is subject to a compulsory risk self-assessment and declaration at the very least. Penalties for non-compliance are very severe and their inspectors can have access to examine and inspect without warning. That's more powers than the dreaded VAT man! There's also the point that large organisations like Paypal and the banks are far more obvious and potentially lucrative targets for the professional hackers than an obscure little model boat retailer - even an honest and trusting guy like Steve Tranter.
BTW I'd advise any traders who haven't heard of the PCI DSS to get wise to it quickly - they do mean business.
DM

Cheers Dave!!! This has been my bedside reading for the last few weeks  %%

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #241 on: December 04, 2015, 01:54:14 pm »

carlmt

Sounds like your business is one of the good guys. I am sure that it is expensive & probably time consuming but there is really no alternative.

Isn't the "Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard" everybody's favourite bedtime reading?

My question is still unanswered. If the retailer does this properly & links his website to a secure payment provider is there any way that the payment can be delayed until the item is in stock? If not then it becomes even more important to ensure stock availability before ordering - which as I said is what I do anyway.

PeachyPM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #242 on: December 04, 2015, 02:46:43 pm »

Hello Carlmt,
Any news on when your web-site will be up and running?

www.linkspanmodels.co.uk
"Bismarck must be sunk at all costs ... even if it ... means towing King George V"

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #243 on: December 04, 2015, 03:16:36 pm »

Speaking from experience I am outstanding a full kit (£1000) from a well known manufacturer for near on 6years. paid in full as it was on a special offer. I think they think I may forget which is something I won't be doing, and will keep reminding them about it every few weeks, with promises of when it's due etc.
Perhaps it would be better Carl for you to do what APS does in Australia. 25% non refundable deposit when you order and the remainder when the kit is ready for dispatch  :-))

Before anybody says small claims court I checked into this my money was gone, there was no money in their bank only debt so if I claimed I would be getting nothing but fresh air!

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #244 on: December 04, 2015, 03:22:07 pm »

Hello Carlmt,
Any news on when your web-site will be up and running?

www.linkspanmodels.co.uk
Just as soon as we bottom out the issues with the 'shopping cart'.......... Was hoping it would be sorted by now, but the issue of setting up the business account with the bank was like wading through treacle - but now this is done, it is this shopping cart malarkey that is holding things up.....
There is light at the end of the tunnel............just hope it isn't an onrushing train!!!!!!!!!

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #245 on: December 04, 2015, 03:27:26 pm »

Gingyer,
If they are still trading but have no cash,
then the threat of bankruptcy proceedings
May be an option.
You might not get your cash but it would stop
them trading and might be enough for them to
cough up.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

inertia

« Reply #246 on: December 04, 2015, 06:32:57 pm »

Gingyer,
If they are still trading but have no cash,
then the threat of bankruptcy proceedings
May be an option.
You might not get your cash but it would stop
them trading and might be enough for them to
cough up.
Ned
Ned
Have you ever met Colin?? The sight of him at the door of my premises - especially in full kilt - would make me reach for the secret cash-box within a few nanoseconds. I'd even crack open a bottle of 15-year old malt for him!

Colin
"Nudge, nudge, wink, wink, know what I mean, eh, eh?" he said. Name and shame - but politely...  %) Seriously, Ned is right. No consolation or recompense for you but it would stop the buggers from ripping off anyone else. 

Dave M

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #247 on: December 04, 2015, 06:43:10 pm »

The red headed Scotsman at Wicky 2010 I believe we did meet .

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #248 on: December 04, 2015, 07:15:09 pm »

Ned
Have you ever met Colin?? The sight of him at the door of my premises - especially in full kilt -!

Oh NO not the Hand stand trick again  :o

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #249 on: December 04, 2015, 11:06:38 pm »

The red headed Scotsman at Wicky 2010 I believe we did meet .

Ned

Guilty as charged  {-) {-)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 21 queries.