Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Westbourne Models - 'Let the buyer Beware!'  (Read 133143 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Westbourne Models
« Reply #75 on: November 03, 2012, 09:34:05 pm »

We've allowed for all points to be covered in this issue, subject close..... unless Wesbourne wish to add something themselves.

Admin.

NB: Please Do Not open another thread on this subject.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
Westbourne Models - 'Let the buyer Beware!'
« Reply #76 on: August 08, 2013, 07:57:34 pm »

Does anyone know if Westbourne  MC are still going? I'm trying to buy a few quids worth of Robbe radio, I've emailed twice...no reply, I've called three times...no answer. I'm just wondering what's going on...anybody know?

Rich
Rich

K-157 Vepr. Akula-II (project 971U)
---------------------------------------------------------------

~~~~~~~  "Motorflotes need love too...."  ~~~~~~~

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

T888

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Westbourne Model Centre
« Reply #77 on: August 08, 2013, 09:15:28 pm »

Hi Rich, I was in Westbourn last Saturday they are still fully trading and up to there eyes in orders.

Regards David

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #78 on: August 08, 2013, 09:32:23 pm »

Ok, thanks for that Dave, I'll keep trying.

Thanks mate,

Rich
Rich

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #79 on: August 08, 2013, 09:37:09 pm »

They aren't very good with email but phone calls usually work!

Colin

RantandRave

• Full Mayhemer
  • ...don't get me started!
« Reply #80 on: August 08, 2013, 10:47:00 pm »

Definitely..... and get an ETA too.

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #81 on: August 09, 2013, 12:01:21 am »

seems much like its better to visit them in person , ive heard of many reports over the last few months of disgruntled customers with orders that arent being fulfilled

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #82 on: August 09, 2013, 07:11:35 am »

Thanks for the replies, guys...we'll see what happens today.
Rich

TugCowboy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #83 on: August 11, 2013, 07:13:20 pm »

How did you get on buddy?

I too have sent an email and tried to get them on the phone numerous times but no luck yet.
Wish I could get down there but, like you, It's a bit too much of a trip I reckon.

langsford

• Full Mayhemer
Westbourne Model Centre
« Reply #84 on: September 04, 2014, 10:38:12 am »

I wonder how other members have found this company to deal with?
I placed an order on 25th August and received an automated reply to say it was being dealt with. Hearing nothing more I emailed them to try and track the order.
Still hearing nothing I rang them today and was told the delivery was at least another two weeks away. When asked why I had not been informed that there was a delay, they had no answer. No apology, just that I would have to wait!
So much for customer service. I will not be dealing with them again.

inertia

« Reply #85 on: September 04, 2014, 11:05:11 am »

I seem to remember a lengthy thread quite recently which was started by someone with a similar experience of this trader. It then rapidly took the form of two disparate groups; one giving similar accounts and the other expressing disbelief and citing nothing but good service etc. Threads like these invariably go the same way and are only ended when someone steps in and says that disputes with traders should be dealt with directly and that the forum is not the place to resolve them. Pretty obvious when you think about it.

No offence intended, Langsford, but could we perhaps start from that point this time - or this is going to get very boring and/or very unpleasant very quickly? The short answer to your question is 'several, but an equal number have had excellent service.'

One suggestion is to check the stock of an item with the trader before placing the order, especially if it's a large expensive item or you need it pretty quickly. Some traders' websites actually will indicate whether or not an item is in stock. I prefer to deal with those traders; it keeps my blood pressure down!
DM

langsford

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #86 on: September 04, 2014, 11:14:30 am »

I don't want this to go on or "get boring". It just seems reasonable to let other Mayhemers aware of the service they might expect. I did contact the company and didn't receive a reply. Also I think the company should let the customer know if they don't have stock rather than the other way round, this is called customer service. Really, we are all singing from the same hymn sheet here, so let's not get upset with each other.....and no offence taken.

inertia

« Reply #87 on: September 04, 2014, 11:20:35 am »

so let's not get upset with each other.....and no offence taken.
I couldn't agree more.  :-))
DM

Buccaneer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #88 on: September 05, 2014, 10:06:52 pm »

Westbourne Model Centre is my local model boat shop. Over the years supply and stock of parts has noticeably declined. Service is not much better unless you are buying something expensive. At £6 a time for diesel and parking I've given up and now use Cornwall Model Boats postal service.

Buccaneer

Steven.T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #89 on: September 05, 2014, 10:53:51 pm »

I'm not normally one to whinge publicly, however in this case I feel it is right to.
I placed an order on the 20th august, the money went straight out of my account as expected.
I didn't receive a confirmation email, nor any other correspondence. I tried emailing them, no reply, rang the other day a few different times, no answer.
I know it was only 2 weeks I waited but I wasn't even sure they had got the order... until it arrived today.

I think a little communication somewhere along the line would improve things drastically!

Just my experiences.

Steven

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #90 on: September 05, 2014, 11:43:33 pm »

Been there done that, had the same experience three years ago, never dealt with them again >>:-(

wicker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #91 on: September 06, 2014, 07:42:24 am »

I found them very poor 7 weeks to get my order so never dealt with them again and never will

rob

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #92 on: September 06, 2014, 01:44:11 pm »

In my opinion Westbourne used to be THE place for mail order.
Recently placed an online order for around £40, money was taken straight away, waited 3 weeks, nothing.
Phoned them to find that item was out of stock and indeed deleted by manufacturers, asked for a refund, 2 weeks later still waiting for it.
I hope my fathers business didn't go downhill quite so fast when I took it over !
in my own little world

corixa

• Shipmate
« Reply #93 on: September 06, 2014, 09:25:36 pm »

Hi all

Have to say that I too gave up on Westbournes following a lengthy wait for goods ordered followed
by phone calls with no result. The excuse was they were waiting for stock - for nearly two months??

Corixa

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #94 on: September 06, 2014, 10:35:21 pm »

Not wanting to stir the pot, and not being familiar with the company but reading what has been said so far,

consider this.

By taking payment immediately an organisation is able to use your money, for example, putting it on the short term money market, which pays them interest, before giving it back to you some time later as a refund. In Robs post, had his 40 quid to use for 5 weeks.

Banks for example in Oz, also do such things with your money, for example a cheque takes a minimum three days to clear before you can access the funds, no it doesn't.

It is wise, to only shop where it is clearly stated that no payment is taken/debited from your account until the goods are actually dispatched, this should be the norm.

Also pay by credit card and if your card is debited and no goods arrive in what you consider a reasonable time make a claim immediately for refund, for an unauthorised transaction goods not suppled, with your bank, who will reverse all charges.

Also some suppliers, are deafeningly quite, even when asked, regarding non payment of  VAT for overseas customers.

Gunna build those other boats one day.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #95 on: September 06, 2014, 10:45:31 pm »

Let's not get carried away here. This is a small shop and perhaps not being managed as well as it might be.  Short term money market simply isn't an issue.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #96 on: September 06, 2014, 11:15:37 pm »

Also some suppliers, are deafeningly quite, even when asked, regarding non payment of  VAT for overseas customers.

very much so and not just in the modelling fraternity
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #97 on: September 07, 2014, 08:20:43 am »

Let's not get carried away here. This is a small shop and perhaps not being managed as well as it might be.  Short term money market simply isn't an issue.

Not knowing the company, I bow to your knowledge, is liquidity an issue affecting the tardy refunds??

Also the company blurb, see link below, seems to instil a confidence contrary, to the experiences recounted herein. {:-{ {:-{
http://www.westbourne-model.co.uk/acatalog/info.html

inertia

« Reply #98 on: September 07, 2014, 09:50:04 am »

OK. If no-one is prepared to stand up in the opposite corner I might as well add my tuppence-worth.
Westbourne Models was perhaps the best mail-order model boat retailer in the country and likely one of the best-known in the world. Owned and run by Barry Shanks, they knew exactly what items to stock and how to treat their customers. Their website was very comprehensive and orders were fulfilled within a couple of days. I remember always getting a hand-written "thank you" note from Barry. I don't suppose for a second that this was restricted to me, either.
Things have changed since Barry retired. I paid a visit to the shop earlier this year and was frankly shocked at the state of it. Granted the flow of model boat goods from major suppliers Graupner and Robbe has been unreliable in the recent past, but even so the stock level was low and what there was was poorly displayed. There were unpacked orders all over the floor and one counter, awaiting the delivery of other items to complete them, maybe? The two guys in there seemed not to care that there was a customer in the shop and the feeling I had was that they were just going through the motions. Their website shop is a misleading representation of the stocks available and the level of service you will receive. Whilst not illegal, taking customer's money without advising them that items are ex-stock is bad form*. It takes only a couple of minutes to send an E-Mail.
I'm not at all surprised at the level of dissatisfaction revealed by this thread. While no mail-order supplier could be expected to be perfect 100% of the time - and accepting that mistakes can be made is part of trading with them, I'm afraid - it's clear that Westbourne Models is well past its best-by date. I won't be using them again but I can also endorse Cornwall Model Boats as a worthy replacement.
Shame.
Dave M

*Just spotted this on the website: "We do not charge for any item until it is ready to ship. Backordered items are not charged until they are shipped."     

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #99 on: September 07, 2014, 10:34:48 am »

Dave,

Thank you, sad to hear, very much appreciated :-)) :-))
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 22 queries.