Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cut, Copy and Paste.  (Read 5341 times)

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
Cut, Copy and Paste.
« on: April 25, 2009, 07:13:46 pm »

I wonder if this is as big a problem as posting photos.
Obviously I've sussed out the pics bit, but posting text has me really flummoxed! Martin kindly sent me a brief run-down on how he does it but although I can now cut or copy to the clipboard I get stuck with the next step. I'm using Microsoft Word. How do I get 2 windows open and visible? Where do I send the copy or cut to? I'm sat here with "Windows For Dummies" in front of me and it all looks straightforward. But it isn't. If Brian_c can do it then I should be able to (!). So it comes down to the "pasting" bit.
Until now I've written out all the postings for "Nautical, Strange But True" in "Word", printed it all out and then re-typed everything into the "reply" box. Very time consuming, but with more and more postings being written I also tend to get hit with the red-line warning about some other swine getting in first. So sometimes I lose everything and have to do it all over again. This is getting on my elderly wick, and so I need a better and more reliable way of doing it (posting...nothing to do with elderly wicks).
I'm still just up to 1984/5 and have a few "interesting" trips to mention. So, please HELP ME!!!!! Cheers. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tidy Bench -Tidy Mind, Messy Bench - BUSY!!
Re: Cut, Copy and Paste.
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 07:21:50 pm »

Brian, just hilight the text you want to use,right click on it and select copy. This leaves it on the clipboard until you want to use it. Open post reply to the topic you are interested in, left click to get the flashing cursor where you want it in the reply, then right click and select paste. This puts the text you copied from your word document into your reply. It's just the same as copy and paste in Word.  ;)

Mike
True Lifeboat Nutter!!

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 04:13:02 pm »

Brian, just hilight the text you want to use,right click on it and select copy. This leaves it on the clipboard until you want to use it. Open post reply to the topic you are interested in, left click to get the flashing cursor where you want it in the reply, then right click and select paste. This puts the text you copied from your word document into your reply. It's just the same as copy and paste in Word.  ;)

Mike
Thanks Mike, I "think" I know what you are trying to teach me. I'll give it another go after I've digested what you said. Fingers crossed. Ta. BY.

andyn

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 04:38:39 pm »

Very simple, type out in word, press and hold down Ctrl (either one) and press A, then release both buttons. This will highlight everything you have written, then without doing anything else press and hold Ctrl and C, release, then click yourself back onto your web browser with Mayhem in it, click onto the reply box, press and hold Ctrl and V, et voila, it will all magically appear :-))

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 05:17:38 pm »

Just tried Mikes tutorial. Was doing well until I hit "post" and a large message came up saying I was"forbidden access to this server".
Oops.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 05:40:16 pm »

"I am not stupid"....repeat after me .."He is not stupid". But I must be. You-all make it all sound so simple. What am I doing wrong? I can do all sorts of things with my head and my hands (no,no, don't go there). I can type in reasonable English. I have a pretty good idea how the world sort of works(ish). I can hold my head up and converse with most people. But can I put a literary gem into "mayhem"...I also have a goodly stock of expletives that may be new to you that I'm using to myself right now. It would have been a damn sight quicker to have done it my "old way". But I shall prevail eventually. With help. Probably such a simple solution that I couldn't believe it. Sorry for the aggro. Now I'll go watch a tape of the Bahrein GP and calm down a bit. BY.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 06:28:06 pm »

Bryan

Highlight what you want to copy and right click on it, click on copy.

Open the reply box on the topic you want to copy to.

Left click the box and your flashing cursor will appear.

Right click on cursor and left click on paste.

Job done.

Sorry its not in Geordie.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 06:32:44 pm »

Highleet wot yee want tuh copy an' reet click on it, click on copy. open the reply box on the topic yee want tuh copy tuh. left click the box an' yor flashin corsor will appeor. reet click on corsor an' left click on paste. job done. 

alreet

sorry its not in Mackem
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2009, 08:45:32 pm »

Highleet wot yee want tuh copy an' reet click on it, click on copy. open the reply box on the topic yee want tuh copy tuh. left click the box an' yor flashin corsor will appeor. reet click on corsor an' left click on paste. job done. 

alreet

sorry its not in Mackem
Sorry. I don't do patronising any more. Poke fun if you wish, but this is a serious problem for me. As soon as I get the first one done I shall "Eureka", and be over the proverbial moon. I notice that other Mayhemers still have problems with posting pictures. I find that relatively easy. But we all have "mind blockages" somewhere until the light dawns. THEN it becomes easy. So change your jumper John, and speak English once in a while..BY.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2009, 10:56:27 pm »

Do just as DickyD says, the bit that the dummies book probably misses out is that when you copy or cut a highlit area,  whatever is in there goes to a magic area called the "clipboard".  This usually remains hidden, but it doesn't matter because you don't need to see it anyway.  When you open another application, if there is anything in the clipboard, when you edit or right click somewhere, you get "paste" as an option.  Click that and the contents of the clipboard will be transferred there.  It also remains in the clipboard, so if you really like it, you can do it again without re-copying.  Sort of a custom rubber stamp.
If you use copy, it is a case of "you got it, you use it, you still got it".
Its one of the nicer things about Windows that you can transfer information between applications like this, it just gets tricky when yo forget what was the last thing you copied.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2009, 09:13:51 am »

Fear nought Bryan, you are not alone  :embarrassed: I usually have no problem with the 'cut & paste' procedure, but occasionally after carrying out the procedure, I back track to the chosen area only to find I have 'dropped' the cut piece on the way ! I have no idea why but in my head I now explain it away as having tried to carry said piece over just too many fences and not being allowed by the mighty computer ! No help, just sympathy I'm afraid  :-))

Mike

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 09:21:17 am »

Hi Bryan,
I can be quite tricky the first time... like many things.
If it still won't work for you, give me a ring this evening and we'll go through iy together.

Martin.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009, 11:35:40 am »

Bryan,  "So change your jumper John, and speak English once in a while..BY."

I reckon if we scanned the Aran Jumper knitting pattern in for you, maybe you could cut, copy and paste it to an A4 sheet and perhaps ask someone to knit you one.

As for speaking English once in a while - I AM PROUD TO BE  A GEORDIE! and also proud of my MY DIALECT!

aye
john
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2009, 12:17:13 pm »

<*< <*<
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Roger in France

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2009, 01:30:03 pm »

Bryan,

You most certainly are not alone! I struggle with this machine, frequently. Somebody once told me that the problem with computers is that they are absolutely logical and therefore cannot cope with humans who are intuitive.

I have several of the "Dummies Gudes....." and am thinking of writing a series called "Even Greater Dummies Guides...."!

Roger in France

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2009, 07:36:41 pm »

Bryan,

You most certainly are not alone! I struggle with this machine, frequently. Somebody once told me that the problem with computers is that they are absolutely logical and therefore cannot cope with humans who are intuitive.

I have several of the "Dummies Gudes....." and am thinking of writing a series called "Even Greater Dummies Guides...."!

Roger in France
In the words of the great Spike..."thank you for your support, I will wear it always".  But it is nice to know that others have this problem, and yet others have no problem at all! Perhaps they are the ones who can't get a pic down to 161kb? I'd like to think so...would boost my presently very low self-esteem a little. So far I've managed to put a posting "into the box", but when I push the "post" button I'm told that this is forbidden, and the whole thing closes down!. A bit like my spirits, really. BY.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2009, 08:16:27 pm »

Silly questions Bryan - is it just text? (pasting something other than text might not work, ask Martin) and is it over the limit for text?
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2009, 10:51:45 pm »

I wasn't aware that there is a limit on text. However, the episode I am trying to post is really quite short compared to some of my earlier ones. Purely text. No pics and so on. Once this thing is sorted (as it will ..."Veronce!") it will surely be worthy of a "how to do and what not to do" post! Pretty sickening at the moment though. Cheers. BY.

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2009, 11:06:40 pm »

Don't worry Bryan it was 2 years before I found out that the computer my partner (buisness not the other type  %) )had given me was an "Etch-a Sketch", still had no idea what ctrl P did any way (only just found out about it now)

And I still can't find the "any key"

{-) {-) {-)
Steamed up all the time

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2009, 04:31:32 pm »

Thanks to all of you who have tried to help. Martin is going to phone me sometime about the "Forbidden" bit. That's the stumbling block at the moment. Be wonderful if it wasn't just my ineptitude! I really don't want to go back to typing everything out twice again. There are still another 12 years of servitude to go! Cheers. BY.

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2009, 05:03:19 pm »

Bryan,

Would like to help if possible - PM winging its way to you.

I'm not yet sure whether your challenge is in your computer and its workings, or in the Mayhem bit :}
For what its worth most of the Brushless basics spiel  - which is very wordy - was typed in word and pasted into the "reply" screen - it mostly worked well, and I did that because I had suffered just what you have - losing more text than Vol 3 of Warren Piece :((

To find where the wheels are falling off  it will prolly be necessary to go quite a way back to basics and find out how YOU use the computer:
You are using Word  :}
do you have a document you have typed before - any document even two or three lines?
Now come the questions:  How do you select, copy and paste?  (the merry mayhemmers have mentioned at least two of the available ways)  how do YOU do it?  (and we'll stick to that method)
Creep up on the problem, convince yourself.
YOU ARE NOT A NUMPTY
Select (highlight) one word - any word - (I do it by left-clicking to the right of the word and dragging the mouse left till the word is highlighted)
Now "copy" that word - however you learned to do it
Nice - that word is now saved (on the clipboard)
really :}
Lets prove it:
go to a blank bit of the same document (control +end always takes you to the end of you document)
do a "paste" by the same way you did the "copy"
The word will have appeared :}
(it is still on the clipboard)
Paste again - it will appear again

Bryan - I really apologise if I am being far too basic
If it helps I can continue till you are a completely happy editor and can confidently cut and paste anywhere
You may already be good at it but missing sommat else
PM and give me a steer

regards
andrew

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2009, 10:40:23 pm »

Bryan,

Would like to help if possible - PM winging its way to you.

regards
andrew

Thank you Andrew.
You cannot be too basic for me! There are new ideas in there that I shall try, but it's getting late (for me) now so I shall have another go in the morning. Ta for the interest. BY.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 23 queries.