Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Marlene bow thruster  (Read 2802 times)

dgp1957

• Full Mayhemer
Marlene bow thruster
« on: April 27, 2009, 04:07:14 pm »

Guys would it be feasible to fit a bow thruster unit into an already build Tyne Models MCS Marlene model?

David

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Marlene bow thruster
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 06:29:12 pm »

Re bowthruster, if you do not have the room for the physical size of the unit you can try a water jet
system. two small outlets, one either side connected to a good pump. the pumps can placed where
you have the room. this system worked very well for me, I used to take my tug all over the lake
using the fire monitors when the speed controller blew up.
                                     cheers nemesis

Bartapuss

• Full Mayhemer
  • Deltic's Rule OK!
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 06:38:09 pm »

Given the size of that particular model, Robbe do a 6volt gear pump with 8mm outlets and can reverse flow simply by changing the direction of rotation of the motor so ideal for control by micro switches or esc, something you can't do with a pond pump
Every time I learn something new, it pushes something old out of my brain - I says wot I likes and I likes wot I say!!!

Bartapuss

• Full Mayhemer
  • Deltic's Rule OK!
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 06:53:04 pm »

Silly me, forgot to ask, do you want a working thruster in the actual position as it is on the model or something discrete under the hull which will have the same effect??
Every time I learn something new, it pushes something old out of my brain - I says wot I likes and I likes wot I say!!!

dgp1957

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 09:36:40 am »

Thanks guys, lots of very helpful info, I think probably something discrete under the hull would be a better choice for me, the water pump idea definitely sounds like a good idea. :-))

David

dms toucan

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 02:02:43 pm »

Hi
I fitted a Raboesch bow thruster in mine
Martin

Bartapuss

• Full Mayhemer
  • Deltic's Rule OK!
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 09:05:30 pm »

I've had a quick idea with regards a bow thruster jet to run across the hull which you could easily make/solder up from brass tube & strip from the Shesto stand in any good model shop. Tube of 20mm/3/4" should do it and when made up should easily be shaped to follow the shape of the hull which is quite flat anyway and only requires two small holes through the hull, hope this helps inspire you.

Bartapuss

• Full Mayhemer
  • Deltic's Rule OK!
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009, 09:09:20 pm »

Basically its a half round tube with a baffle at the centre which follows the contour of the hull, a smaller tube either side which pass through the bottom of the hull are the connections for the pump.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 22 queries.