Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Charging Futaba TX Battery  (Read 2380 times)

BreezyB

Charging Futaba TX Battery
« on: April 27, 2009, 05:01:53 pm »

I have a Futaba Skysport 4 TX and, up until now, I have used the charger which was supplied to charge the battery (9.6 v 700 mAh NiCd) via the inbuilt charging socket on the case. I now have a universal charger (NiCd / NiMH) which has the Delta sensing system incorporated which I would like to use instead. Can anyone help or advise with the following questions please:
(A) Will it be OK to use my new charger (MW 168VD from Components.Com) via the inbuilt socket and will the fact that the lowest output is 500mA be OK because I read recently that the charge rate should be something like 1.5mA max??.
(B) I am 99.9% certain that the middle pin of the case charging socket is + (pos), can anyone please confirm if I'm right or wrong??.
Its good to know that you Guys are out there, you have saved me from many embarrassing situations  :embarrassed:
Regards
Barrie.

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
Re: Charging Futaba TX Battery
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 06:21:18 pm »

Cant find the website you mention or the charger, though if it is a Universal charger it should be fine. Yes Futaba is centre pin positive. I dont normally charge NiMH at more than 1C as the batteries get hot and the Tx battery will be enclosed within the radio. So for a 700mAh pack I would would want to charge at much more than 700mAh.

Ian Robins

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 09:46:12 pm »

hi all,
     Am i right in thinking the futaba tx has a diode fittted to stop the battery being analized. if so the charger wont delta peek as the the charger wont know the voltage. also i always charge mine out of the tx and alays at the 1C rate. (ie charge in approx 1 hour).

hope this helps
ro88o

BreezyB

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 06:46:14 pm »

Many thanks to Mankster and ro88o for your help and suggestions. It is hardly a suprise that you couldn't find the website, I got it all wrong due a "senior moment".   :embarrassed: The web site actually is www.component-shop.co.uk and the charger is referred to as a 500/1000mA Smart Charger for Race Packs. For battery packs they are great but I wondered if I could use it to charge my TX but a club member has also suggested the same a ro88o that using the charging socket with other chargers may not be as simple as it seems.
My grateful thanks to you both.
Barrie.

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 09:21:26 am »

Club member and ro88o are correct, delta-v sensing will not work through the charging jack. Easy answer is to remove the pack to charge. Not hard to do and allows a better regime that will probably keep your battery alive longer.

BreezyB

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 07:58:17 pm »

Many thanks for your contribution Ian, I guess that the solution is to continue using the Futaba TX Charger supplied with the set or, as you quite rightly suggest, remove and charge the battery pack independently. I will probably go with the latter.
Thanks again  :-))
Barrie.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 21 queries.