Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Deck planking issue  (Read 3521 times)

Piemann

Deck planking issue
« on: April 30, 2009, 03:54:06 pm »

Hello all.
I have a question with regard to deck planking.
I am currently building Robert Fultons DEMOLOGOS from 1814. I have completed the hulls to deck level but am a bit stuck with the deck planking.
My question is. Would this vessel have the deck planks joggled into the margin strake or would the strake be laid on top of the planks as a covering board, or even, would she have a margin strake at all as she had no bulwarks. as she has a large expanse of deck I don't want to mess it up.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
                                    cheers.....liam......

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Deck planking issue
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 04:23:06 pm »

Hello all.
I have a question with regard to deck planking.
I am currently building Robert Fultons DEMOLOGOS from 1814. I have completed the hulls to deck level but am a bit stuck with the deck planking.
My question is. Would this vessel have the deck planks joggled into the margin strake or would the strake be laid on top of the planks as a covering board, or even, would she have a margin strake at all as she had no bulwarks. as she has a large expanse of deck I don't want to mess it up.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
                                    cheers.....liam......

Margin plank almost certainly...it gives an"edge" to the other planks. Joggling, well in 1814 craftsmanship was high and "joggling" was "just the way it is done" so to speak. Even nowadays a joggled deck plank is considered superior to butt-ended ones. Go for both, it'll look nicer! BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

Edward Pinniger

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plastic Ship Kit Previews
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 09:23:06 pm »

Is this the floating gun battery with the paddle wheels in the middle of the hull? (link) I'd be very interested to see some photos! I don't think I've ever seen a model of this ship before (given that it was the world's first steam warship, it's surprising it isn't better known)

Piemann

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 06:38:12 pm »

yes it is Fultons floating battery. I have been taking photos as I went along and will try and put some on the site. As I am not realy 'Forum Literate' would it be better to post them here or in the gallery?

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 08:24:26 pm »

Hi, you need to put your build photos here.

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=93.0
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

YTHANEIDER

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2009, 10:21:56 am »

just to confuse the issue even more, some yards used a mix of joggled and plain butts for plank ends
the last year to apply this approach that I know of is Alex Noble & Sons of Girvan, which built very high quality wooden fishing vessels into the 1980s since when the yard has built sporadically in steel
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 21 queries.