Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A motor for each prop how does it work?  (Read 2855 times)

ixion

A motor for each prop how does it work?
« on: May 01, 2009, 06:56:26 pm »

Hi guys,
I have aquired a Smit Nederland tug which has rudders (and servo) both props and motors fitted. I was thinking about fitting a speed controler for each motor for better steering. How do I wire it up and how does it operate with the transmitter? I will be using a Spektrum DX5e and 5 channel RX.
Thanks

barryfoote

Re: A motor for each prop how does it work?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 07:03:29 pm »

ixion,

Look no further that ACTion's P94. It is a dual esc and mixer all in one for the ultimate in control.
http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/

Our own FLJ is the brains behind it.

Barry

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 08:17:33 pm »

You can also go down the path, as I have with a couple of mine, of having each prop independently controlled by it's own channel and it's own speed controller.  I use a Spektrum DX6i but you have to convert it so that both sticks spring to centre in a forward and backwards direction.  Then the left stick can control the port motor and the right stick can contol the starboard motor.

Using a mixer makes the operation easier to control and more intuitive but when you get more accomplished with operating the sticks independently you have complete control over all motor and steering functions.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 09:12:55 pm »

bunkie, i think the dx6i has mixing in its menus and you can mode swap as well
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 09:36:03 pm »

Yes it has but you can only mix certain channels such as ailerons and rudder.  The biggest challenge with the dx6i is converting the left hand stick to spring centering.  Whether it could be made to mix two drive motors and a rudder I have no idea and I'm sure if you wanted to go down that path a specific unit such as the one from Action would be the easiest way to go.

I specifically want to use mine to control the motors and the rudder independently, it keeps the brain on it's toes and reminds me of just how useless I really am!!
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
  • The view from the shallow end of the gene pool
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009, 07:24:37 pm »

OI!  ;D
The prat in the hat - www.floatingwombat.me.uk - Have look & say Hi

Stavros

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 07:30:32 pm »

Aw Wombat you really are hurt arnt you never mind please go and devise a new esc so I can run on 30 cells will you

Stav

Marks Model Bits

• No Mustang Mark
  • Full Mayhemer
  • http://marksmodelbits.com/
    • Marks Model Bits
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009, 08:51:37 pm »

Hi Stav, 30 cells!!!!!!!!!  are we all invited to the barbeque then?  O0 O0 %% %% %% ;D ;D ;D

Mark and Phil.   

I HAVE NOT FAILED, I HAVE FOUND 1000 WAYS THAT DON'T WORK.!!!!

http://marksmodelbits.com/

Captain Jack

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2009, 09:31:23 pm »

I'm with Bunkerbarge on this. All my vessels have one ESC for each prop, just like the real deal. I can even crab sideways without the use of a bow thruster on all but the American Enterprise, ( She has water jets). For the ultimate in realism, there's no better way to go, IMHO. The best I can do with th AE with water jets is about an 80 degree sideways motion, as the steering nozzles don't have as much throw as standard rudders :-)) with korts. I have all the centering springs removed from my DX6. Wish I could get my hands on one of the old Nautical Commander radios. O0

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
  • The view from the shallow end of the gene pool
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2009, 09:42:57 pm »

Aw Wombat you really are hurt arnt you never mind please go and devise a new esc so I can run on 30 cells will you

Stav

30 cells..... 36V to 45V hmmm.......

Monster tug?
The prat in the hat - www.floatingwombat.me.uk - Have look & say Hi

barryfoote

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2009, 07:48:53 am »

OI!  ;D

Oops, sorry Wombat...What I really meant to say was they FLJ had used your idea and was busy making lots of dosh out of it... {-) {-) {-)

There is that better? %% %%
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.