Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dragon 1/350 Ohio rc conversion  (Read 3614 times)

polobeer

• Full Mayhemer
Dragon 1/350 Ohio rc conversion
« on: May 03, 2009, 11:10:45 am »

Hello everyone!

This is my first post in ages. Could one of you sub experts help me? I am thinking of converting the Dragon Ohio sub to a dynamic diver and I know that some time ago PUREMTC used to make a small square WTC for this model and I've seen the video of it operating successfully. As this WTC is no longer available can anyone suggest an alternative with suitable motor, servo, rx, etc. I presume it would be possible to scratch build the same type of WTC from styrene sheet but how would you seal it to make it waterproof? Any help much appreciated!

Cheers
Simon  %)

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Dragon 1/350 Ohio rc conversion
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 11:05:44 pm »

Hi there Simon I made the dragon sub as a kit ,very nice kit. It's a very small sub and trying to get the links for the rear  dive plans/rudders is going to be a night mare. Have you look at Revell typhoon sub . It a lot bigger in width giving you more room . I once saw one that had been made R/C sorry no details on that sub.

John

polobeer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 09:31:12 am »

Thanks for the info John and good to hear from you!

I know it's very small but it is the type of sub that I'd like to have. The larger scale models are just far too expensive for me, so I have to look at alternatives like this static kit. Like you I have seen one converted to RC here:

http://puremtc.com/ga_videos/model_pages/dml_ohio/index.htm

All I need to know is where I can buy the motor, RX, micro servers, etc, that are small enough to fit inside. I can make the WTC from plasticard and elastic bands and use the kit propeller attached to thin brass wire. If you or anyone else can help further that would be great!

Cheers Simon  :-))

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 10:58:11 am »

Electronic gear suited to park or indoor flyers will be perfect for that sub. Ebay is a good source for tiny light weight servos. Hyperion & Schulze do really tiny 40mhz rx's, and Mtronics do a small ESC though there are smaller ones available. If you want forward only, again get one of those tiny GWS ones for park flyers which are about the size of a servo plug. You may want to look into converting a servo to continous rotation and using that as a motor/ESc combo.
Unless your are enammered with the Ohio I'd go for the Trumpeter Kilo at 1/144 which cost the same and of similar length but with a lot more space to fit full size radio gear.

polobeer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 11:49:24 am »

Thanks Mankster!

All of your info is very helpful indeed. I might do a little build thread about converting the sub to a dynamic RC model with photos if anyone is interested? Any further advice or help would be much appreciated, particularly a simple wiring diagram for this very small RC set up (I'm not very experienced in this area!).

Cheers
Simon  ok2

cling-on-bop

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 06:19:36 pm »

:D Count me in, i would love to do one, not bothered about the speed or diving, like my LCM a stripped down servo would be my choice unsure of the way to seal against water ingress though.  O0
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 23 queries.