Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Outlook Express - Group Mails  (Read 2113 times)

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
  • Black, white and buff - not grey!
Outlook Express - Group Mails
« on: May 04, 2009, 09:20:21 am »

Guys, I need you help! I help run an old car club and have just started to send out emails to the members - about 60 are involved.

I made a new group in OE (version 6) with all the addresses, but when I tried to send a mail, it fell over and told me I had too many addressees. Never come across this before. How do the spammers send out thousands of emails? What am I doing wrong?

All advice greatly appreciated.

Rick

catengineman

Re: Outlook Express - Group Mails
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 11:40:01 am »

Hi I stopped using OE in favour of my 'hotmail' address and reader system but how many mail addresses are we talking of here.

are you listing all the people in the "to" address bar, if so that is where OE is stopping the mail have you tried to limit the number to say 20 and then send the same mail to the next 20 and so on.

as far as I am aware spammers use a 'mailer' program which sends spam to an individual mail rather than a group (I could be wrong on that)

R,

Max Power

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 07:18:50 pm »

Hi RickF, I also had problems using outlook express to send out group emails. I found I could send out to a group of about 30. I did not put a recipient in the "to" box and entered the group address in the "bcc" box (blind carbon copy). This seemed to work and prevented the recipients from having all other recipients email addresses at the top their email (some people liked to have their email address kept private). I did however still have a few problems: some isp providers did not seem to allow emails through if they were addressed to multiple recipients (in some cases no more than six), the other problem was knowing if the email had been received! Yes I did tick the "acknowledge receipt box" but many firewalls seemed to prevent this feature from working. I ended up asking everyone to email me simply saying "message received.

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 11:32:56 pm »

I'm trying to send to about 60 people. I have split the group in two, which works, but am looking for a better solution than sending the same message twice!

Rick

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 09:01:14 am »

I had the same problem too when first starting Model Boat Mayhem, a limit of about 30 per group.
The only other official solution is to purchase Full MS Office Outlook, Outlook express is it cut down junior brother!

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 11:37:42 am »

Thanks Martin. I've got a copy of MS Office kicking about somewhere which has a full version "Outlook" on it - I'll get it out and have a go installing it.

Rick

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 11:58:00 am »

Theres a discussion about this at
http://www.tech-evangelist.com/2007/05/11/mozilla-thunderbird-mailing-lists/
Not MS products, but it does highlight other problems outside the mail program itself that could have unwanted effects.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

PT Sideshow

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 12:22:44 pm »

Try this free ware,  Its works well. I have used it for a couple of years. Didn't have as many people as you did. But you can set it up any way your choice so sending out doesn't trigger the spammer alert at your ISP.

It also handles pictures in the body of the email if you are so inclined. Plus the price is right.
http://www.sofotex.com/Group-Mail-Free-download_L2943.html
 :-))

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 07:51:49 am »

Hi...MS Outlook which is a an element in Office XP, 2003 or 2007...has the same limitation as MS Outlook Express with respect to the number of recipient's it will reach with falling over

The numbers mentioned here are very close...when I have the 4wsame situation I sen the connunication via BCC to Plant Customers A to H....the the same communication to Plant Customers  I to Z....& yes there about 30 in each group

It is clearly the number of addressees...as the message is only a few lines & a less number of KB...............................................Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 12:50:06 pm »

Thanks guys - all very helpful.

I've downloaded and installed the free "Groupmail" software and tried a mail to to the committee - only five people but it worked well. The only snag with the freebie version is that you cannot import email addresses from Outlook or a database, so I have to put in about sixty by hand -  should keep me busy for an hour or two!

Rick

PT Sideshow

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2009, 01:02:39 pm »

I use foxfire and Mozilla mail and don't have any problems with that. I will say that even with that problem you will probably like it once you figure it out. As with most software the ease of use descriptions are written by the same people that did the program in the first place. So of course it easy for them to use! %% :-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 22 queries.